inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fast Food- Regional Favorites?

Written By: zotsfreak on 07/15/06 at 7:14 am

Lets try somethin outside of the music topics: What do we all have around us as unusual or different regional favorite fast foods. In Western New York, there are a couple independent places that are quite popular. One is healthy, the other extremely un-healthy; both very popular. Unhealthy first: a hot dog stands sells a "Whistle Pig" It's a hot dog, wrapped in bacon,and then drenched in cheddar cheese sauce. Heart attack on a bun!! The healthy one is very good. They make "Wraps" That's a large Tortilla shell rolled up like a burrito. Inside? Your choice of grilled strips of chicken breast, turkey breast, or lean beef steak. It's also filled with Romaine lettuce and diced tomatoes, and a splash of Italian Dressing. Served with two side dishes: pasta salad, and a fresh fruit bowl with fresh cut pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydue, and watermelon balls. Very tasty and healthy alternative to the burger joints, and at about only 6 bucks too.
What do you in your areas??

Subject: Re: Fast Food- Regional Favorites?

Written By: berger on 07/15/06 at 11:40 am

We had "Sandi's"
The mascot was a blonde in a kilt wearing a tam.
Great hamburgers.  But nothing special, I don't think they exist anymore
Our Sandi's closed in the mid 70's

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/06 at 1:13 pm

One we have strictly in Canada is called Harvey's.  They are great, because their burgers are Flame cooked, and then you get to watch them assemble your burger, as you tell them what you want on it.  That way, you know they aren't going to mess up your order 8)

Fries with Gravy, and a Bacon Cheeseburger with Onions, Mayo, Hot Peppers and some Pickles.  Dang, now I am hungry :D

http://www.harveys.ca/images/logo_3.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/15/06 at 5:06 pm

I know this really isn't the precise subject of this thread, but it's related, so...

I remember in Chicagoland as a tyke we had a Jack In The Box nearby.  We frequented that one in the 60's and 70's.  In the mid 70's I remember Jack In The Box doing more commercials (they were decent if I remember right), making me believe it would become a "fixture" in our area.  Lo and behold, in the early 80's, all the Jack In The Box restaurants in Chicagoland closed up  >:(

I didn't learn until much later that they continued on out west - they're still going strong in So. Cal.  (I try and go there on my So. Cal. trips just for nostalgia.)

Anyway, that's one that didn't survive Chicagoland much past the 70's...  :o

Written By: wndysbg on 07/15/06 at 9:00 pm

California has In-N-Out burger which is awesome!  They have slowly crept their way up from So. Cal and can be found along most major roads/towns.

We still have the usual - Jack-N-The-Box, MCD's, Burger King, KFC, A&W, Carls' Jr, Taco Bell, Wendy's and many more. . . . .  but In-N-Out is the best!

Written By: Dukefan on 07/19/06 at 6:45 pm

In the southeast US we use to have a Dairy-Queen like fast food chain called Tasty Freeze.  It had Ice Cream, Hamburgers, and the like.  Unfortunately most the chain went out in the late-80s, though I think there are still a few independently owned locations here and there.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/19/06 at 7:31 pm

but In-N-Out is the best!

I've enjoyed Harvey's in Canuckistan.  It's a pretty flavorful patty. 

My first In-N-Out experience was underwhelming (wait, let me rephrase that).  The first hamburger I ate at In-N-Out was underwhelming.  A good burger, but it left me wondering what all the fuss was about.

My problem was that I went to the place without a guide and ordered the standard fare that's on the menu.  If you've not been to In-N-Out, ask a friend who has been there about the secret menu.  Or just go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out

Knowledge of the secret menu turns In-N-Out from "decent fast food place" into "your own private burger/fry kitchen, to experiment with at your whim!"  Ever wanted to have an entire burger joint at your disposal for 15 minutes, just to see what an extra 15 seconds (or 15 seconds less!) will do to french fries?  Ever wanted a big pile of meat, but no cheese?  Or a big pile of cheese, no bun?  Or... well, whatever?  That's what In-N-Out is all about.

Speaking for myself, a 4x4 animal style, is one of the most awesomely delicious things on the planet.  Burger King's "stacker" is but a pretender to the throne.  I prefer my fries "well done" (or regular and animal style), and usually tend towards having the "whole grilled onions" option on the burger. 

Your mileage will vary, and I'd encourage you to clog your arteries with at least a dozen visits to find out exactly how.

Written By: wndysbg on 07/21/06 at 6:56 pm

I've enjoyed Harvey's in Canuckistan.  It's a pretty flavorful patty. 

My first In-N-Out experience was underwhelming (wait, let me rephrase that).  The first hamburger I ate at In-N-Out was underwhelming.  A good burger, but it left me wondering what all the fuss was about.

My problem was that I went to the place without a guide and ordered the standard fare that's on the menu.  If you've not been to In-N-Out, ask a friend who has been there about the secret menu.  Or just go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out

Knowledge of the secret menu turns In-N-Out from "decent fast food place" into "your own private burger/fry kitchen, to experiment with at your whim!"  Ever wanted to have an entire burger joint at your disposal for 15 minutes, just to see what an extra 15 seconds (or 15 seconds less!) will do to french fries?  Ever wanted a big pile of meat, but no cheese?  Or a big pile of cheese, no bun?  Or... well, whatever?  That's what In-N-Out is all about.

Speaking for myself, a 4x4 animal style, is one of the most awesomely delicious things on the planet.  Burger King's "stacker" is but a pretender to the throne.  I prefer my fries "well done" (or regular and animal style), and usually tend towards having the "whole grilled onions" option on the burger. 

Your mileage will vary, and I'd encourage you to clog your arteries with at least a dozen visits to find out exactly how.

My first visit to an In-N-Out was with a repeat customer and it was the BEST burger ever.  You are right - you have to know the "secret" menu, which basically means you can order a burger ANY way you want and French Fries ANY way you want them.    Plus - everything is made fresh and you can watch them make your burger and fries.  The freshest food in the fast-food industry - IMO 

Check for new replies or respond here...