inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who Was The Velvet Underground Of The 70s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/16/06 at 9:11 pm

Yes, I am aware of the fact the Velvet Underground themselves did not disband until the mid-70s (though the core of the group disbanded in 1972), but who do you think (if you think any artist could) took the baton from Lou Reed and the gang in the 70s? I'm asking because I can't think of any comparable groups, or whether it even makes sense to try and draw comparisons.

Subject: Re: Who Was The Velvet Underground Of The 70s?

Written By: zotsfreak on 07/17/06 at 1:01 pm

Iggy Pop and Stooges!

Check out:

"Stooges" (1969)
"Fun House" (1970)
"Raw Power" (1973)

Written By: KKay on 07/17/06 at 1:11 pm

Though less popular,
Eno.

Date ALBUMS / Singles
1973 November NO PUSSYFOOTING
1974 January HERE COME THE WARM JETS
1974 March Seven Deadly Finns
1974 November TAKING TIGER MOUNTAIN (BY STRATEGY)
1975 August The Lion Sleeps Tonight
1975 September ANOTHER GREEN WORLD
1975 November DISCREET MUSIC
1975 December EVENING STAR
1977 August CLUSTER & ENO
1977 December BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE
1977 December King's Lead Hat
1978 September MUSIC FOR FILMS
1978 AFTER THE HEAT
1978 AMBIENT ONE: MUSIC FOR AIRPORTS

Written By: zotsfreak on 07/17/06 at 1:26 pm

Though less popular,
Eno.

Date ALBUMS / Singles
1973 November NO PUSSYFOOTING
1974 January HERE COME THE WARM JETS
1974 March Seven Deadly Finns
1974 November TAKING TIGER MOUNTAIN (BY STRATEGY)
1975 August The Lion Sleeps Tonight
1975 September ANOTHER GREEN WORLD
1975 November DISCREET MUSIC
1975 December EVENING STAR
1977 August CLUSTER & ENO
1977 December BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE
1977 December King's Lead Hat
1978 September MUSIC FOR FILMS
1978 AFTER THE HEAT
1978 AMBIENT ONE: MUSIC FOR AIRPORTS

True- Also Eno's collaborations with Robert Fripp. (No Pussyfooting, God Save the Queen, Etc)

Written By: KKay on 07/17/06 at 1:51 pm

True- Also Eno's collaborations with Robert Fripp. (No Pussyfooting, God Save the Queen, Etc)

How about Eno and throw in a little David Byrne.

Written By: zotsfreak on 07/17/06 at 1:58 pm

How about Eno and throw in a little David Byrne.

David Byrne and Brian Eno's collaboration "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" perhaps, however, I feel that D.Byrne solo and with Talking Heads was pure pop music in the 1970's ("Talking Heads 77", and More Songs About Buildings and Food"). Although, come to think about it, "Fear Of Music" was definitely a turn towards more progressive and eclectic material.
BTW, all this stuff is still on my "all time favorites" list, you too?

Written By: KKay on 07/17/06 at 2:00 pm

David Byrne and Brian Eno's collaboration "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" perhaps, however, I feel that D.Byrne solo and with Talking Heads was pure pop music in the 1970's ("Talking Heads 77", and More Songs About Buildings and Food"). Although, come to think about it, "Fear Of Music" was definitely a turn towards more progressive and eclectic material.
BTW, all this stuff is still on my "all time favorites" list, you too?

Absolutely.  I am a geek/borderline70s punk in ny/noise/experimental fan so this is all that i really like.  I have meant to post more on the more specific band threads, but i go on for hours...Did you like I Advance Masked (Summers and Eno)?  I still listen to it and still can't decide...

Written By: fishryc on 07/17/06 at 6:07 pm

Absolutely.  I am a geek/borderline70s punk in ny/noise/experimental fan so this is all that i really like.  I have meant to post more on the more specific band threads, but i go on for hours...Did you like I Advance Masked (Summers and Eno)?  I still listen to it and still can't decide...

I'd like to post more about the very early "alternative" scene, too. ( But.........I have.) It was received as if I were some type pariah ...........
(Plus, very importantly, bands such as  the 1st punks ever (Joey, Dee Dee, Tommy, and Johnny) were not even acknowledged or understood by this website users as the pioneers, trendsetters, first-on-the-sceners that they were!! (As well as Iggy and the Stooges!! Sorry, they'll always be my #1!!) Reviewers of re-releases of all pioneers seem to give credit when it's after the fact. Read the liner notes of any CD that was first recorded before 1972. Always true, but usually too much, and more importantly, too late (and therefore sad)...........
  Anyway, back to Ramones!!
These guys (I mean genius's) in NYC initiated the so called "Punk Invasion" or British Influx of 1975 to 1981, IMHO!!  It started here, and, sadly,  ended here......................  (It got ugly..... Sex Pistols last show: 1/14/78 at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco, CA ; Clash in NYC 1980, then again in Buffalo, in 1981, etc, etc..... :\'(

A sadly unrecognized alternative era.............................

TC-  KK

S

Check for new replies or respond here...