inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Led Zeppelin

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/19/06 at 8:58 pm

I think we have a few Ledheds here, so this should be fun.  :)

The format is the same as the Beatles thread: What are your favorite albums, songs, members of the band, side projects, etc,.  Since they are my ultimate rock band, I'll go first. 

Fave Albums:

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2235/ledzeppelinfoursymbolsqy1.th.jpg

There isn't a song on the album worth skipping, even Stairway.  When The Levee Breaks is probably one of the greatest album closers ever. 

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3240/ledzeppelinbbcsessionscoverpr7.th.jpg

A great "live" album if you want to hear stuff from Zep IV on up.  In fact, this was one of the first live performances of stuff from that album. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/LedZeppelinHowTheWestWasWoncover.jpg

One of the best live albums you'll own.  This was when the band was at their absolute peak.  Disc 1 is great from start to finish.....especially Since I've Been Lovin' You and That's The Way. 

Whenever anyone asks me what albums to buy because they want to start getting into the band, those are the 3 I always recommend. 

Songs:

I Can't Quit You Babe
Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You
That's The Way
Heartbreaker
Since I've Been Lovin' You
When The Levee Breaks
Kashmir
Tea For One
No Quarter
All of My Love
Fool In The Rain

Fave band member: Jimmy Page

Subject: Re: Led Zeppelin

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/19/06 at 9:15 pm

I like the albums II, IV, and Houses of the Holy the most.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/19/06 at 9:43 pm

Led Zeppelin found a place in my tender 13 year old heart in 1969 and were so much a part of my youth and growing up and have been and will always be one of my favorite Rock Bands. I love 1, 2, 3, 4, Houses of the Holy & Physical Graffiti. I did not care for much of the later stuff. I love the live BBC sessions and How The West Was Won, the other live one Sister Morphine mentioned. The 4th album is my favorite. I love the strong electric guitar of Jimmy Page, but also the acoustic is very enchanting . I love Robert Plant's vocals on the studio recordings, but not so much on the live stuff. I saw Plant/Page in Concord California a few years back and when they played Whole Lotta Love, I was just loving it!  8)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/19/06 at 9:47 pm

Led Zeppelin found a place in my tender 13 year old heart in 1969 and were so much a part of my youth and growing up and have been and will always be one of my favorite Rock Bands. I love 1, 2, 3, 4, Houses of the Holy & Physical Graffiti. I did not care for much of the later stuff. I love the live BBC sessions and How The West Was Won, the other live one Sister Morphine mentioned. The 4th album is my favorite. I love the strong electric guitar of Jimmy Page, but also the acoustic is very enchanting . I love Robert Plant's vocals on the studio recordings, but not so much on the live stuff. I saw Plant/Page in Concord California a few years back and when they played Whole Lotta Love, I was just loving it!  8)

I gotta disagree about Robert Plant's live vocals.  Sometimes he went WAY overboard with it, but sometimes the unrestrained nature of it made the song powerful.  Listen to SIBLY on HTWWW and you'll see what I mean.  Or even That's The Way on the same album.

I am praying that before they die, they go back on tour.  There isn't a drummer in the world who wouldn't take that job.  Bonzo's son is a drummer, so I'm sure he'd get the offer first. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/19/06 at 9:58 pm

I gotta disagree about Robert Plant's live vocals.  Sometimes he went WAY overboard with it, but sometimes the unrestrained nature of it made the song powerful.  Listen to SIBLY on HTWWW and you'll see what I mean.  Or even That's The Way on the same album.

I am praying that before they die, they go back on tour.  There isn't a drummer in the world who wouldn't take that job.  Bonzo's son is a drummer, so I'm sure he'd get the offer first. 
I'll take another open minded listen cuz I luvs these guys, and I don't dislike all of Plants live stuff, just some redundant vocal things he does, I'm a Plant fan, to be sure and if they go on tour that would be a good place for a real life meeting. He performed this year in Oakland, but it wasn't with Jimmy, and it was some new stuff and the review wasn't that good. It's have to be Page & Plant for me to spend my money

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/20/06 at 3:17 am

If you want to see some awesome bootleg video of Zeppelin, go to YouTube and search for the user FunkyKong.  JP on the theremin during Whole Lotta Love is badass.  8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/20/06 at 3:25 am

If you want to see some awesome bootleg video of Zeppelin, go to YouTube and search for the user FunkyKong.  JP on the theremin during Whole Lotta Love is badass.   8)
will do. thanks

Written By: Davester on 07/20/06 at 9:01 am

Was never into Led Zeppelin until I heard "Ramble On" on the radio one day.  Always gets my blood pumping...

I currently own Led Zeppelin II and Physical Graffitti.  I plan to own more, eventually.

Favorite song "Houses of the Holy"...

As to the tall, cool one's studio voice, I figure if you can handle Geddy Lee, Robert Plant should be easy.  Never heard any live Zep...

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/20/06 at 11:27 am

I'll take another open minded listen cuz I luvs these guys, and I don't dislike all of Plants live stuff, just some redundant vocal things he does, I'm a Plant fan, to be sure and if they go on tour that would be a good place for a real life meeting. He performed this year in Oakland, but it wasn't with Jimmy, and it was some new stuff and the review wasn't that good. It's have to be Page & Plant for me to spend my money

It must get boring for Plant during those long instrumental solos.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/20/06 at 11:27 am

If you want to see some awesome bootleg video of Zeppelin, go to YouTube and search for the user FunkyKong.  JP on the theremin during Whole Lotta Love is badass.   8)

... THEREMIN!?!!???

Ha! Didn't see that coming.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/20/06 at 2:09 pm

... THEREMIN!?!!???

Ha! Didn't see that coming.

Yeah, JP would play the theremin quite a bit on stage.....it kept the shows from ever getting boring.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/20/06 at 6:45 pm

I feel totally blasphemous saying this, but on the most part, I could never get into Zeppelin at all (although because they're so influential, I respect and give them credit for their place in music history because of that). It just seems kinda roughcut/raw/noisy.

*ducks flying objects* ;D

However, I do have a favorite song: "All My Love" (more melodic for them, and sorta proto-'80s with the keyboards). My favorite Plant solo song is "Tall Cool One" off 1988's Now and Zen (also my fave album by a band member).

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/20/06 at 8:12 pm

It must get boring for Plant during those long instrumental solos.
i heard a recent interview and he talked about this very thing, said he felt like he needed to participate in some way during those times and then overcompensated.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/21/06 at 10:29 am

i heard a recent interview and he talked about this very thing, said he felt like he needed to participate in some way during those times and then overcompensated.

He should've done what members of The Mothers of Invention (Frank Zappa's group) did when they weren't playing... Stunts. They'd do things such as take a giant stuffed giraffe and shoot whipped cream from it's... erm... behind. That'd be entertaining for sure!

Written By: Tia on 07/21/06 at 10:35 am

me it's probably physical graffiti. but i like them all; presence is definitely the most overlooked.

jimmy page played theremin live on dazed and confused but he sorta sucked at it -- from what i could tell it was basically a stage gimmick and he used it to make random funny noises but he had no idea how to actually play it.

on the other hand using the violin bow on the guitar looked great and also created some amazing musical tones. of course he'd trash the bow on the strings every time (bows aren't designed for metal strings) and bows are actually pretty expensive so you'd have to be pretty rich to afford it.

Check for new replies or respond here...