inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rocky Horror Picture Show

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/24/06 at 1:53 am

Some people think either 2 things about this movie:

1. It's a great cult classic that they know every word to

or

2. They hate it and think it's pointless.

Who are you?

Subject: Re: Rocky Horror Picture Show

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/24/06 at 2:58 am

Some people think either 2 things about this movie:

1. It's a great cult classic that they know every word to

or

2. They hate it and think it's pointless.

Who are you?
neither, I've only seen the 1st 1/3 or so, but I totally love the Time Warp song, it kinda kicks A....ss

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 3:03 am

The Rocky Horror Picture Show has just completed another run in London's West End.

Written By: Gis on 07/24/06 at 5:54 am

Absolutely love it. I go to the live show whenever it comes round.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 6:40 am

Somehow I can imagine it on at the Oxford Playhoue.

Written By: karen on 07/24/06 at 7:27 am

The stage show is going to be on in Leicester in October.  We are hoping to go but haven't yet bought the tickets

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 7:42 am

The current production about ot go on tour (Leicester in October) has Roger Lloyd Pack (Trigger from Only Fools And Houses, and Owen Newitt from The Vicar of Didbley) as the Narrator

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 7:44 am

Nearest to Oxford,

Date: Monday 4th to Saturday 9th September, 2006
Venue: Hexagon Theatre, Reading

Written By: Gis on 07/24/06 at 9:18 am

Nearest to Oxford,

Date: Monday 4th to Saturday 9th September, 2006
Venue: Hexagon Theatre, Reading
Yeah I had a flyer through for that one but I have seen it on this tour so I probably won't go again this year.It was meant to be Michael Aspel narating when I saw it but he was sick that night so one of the dancers from the cast had to do it.  :(

It was on at the New Theatre (formerly the Apollo) rather than the playhouse.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/06 at 9:20 am

Yeah I had a flyer through for that one but I have seen it on this tour so I probably won't go again this year.It was meant to be Michael Aspel narating when I saw it but he was sick that night so one of the dancers from the cast had to do it.  :(

It was on at the New Theatre (formerly the Apollo) rather than the playhouse.
Nicholas Parsons and Jason Donovan have both narrated the show.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/24/06 at 4:57 pm

I wish I lived where they did productions of it. To see the show would be a dream come true.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/06 at 4:58 pm

1 I've seen it over 50 times (film) as well as participated in many outings!!!

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/24/06 at 9:50 pm

# 1 for me. 

I haven't seen it in a theater in many years but I still know all the words.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/06 at 12:55 am

I have only seen the film.

Written By: Gis on 07/25/06 at 2:59 am

Nicholas Parsons and Jason Donovan have both narrated the show.
I've seen it with both of them, though Jason was Frank N Furter and not the narrator. Christine and Neil Hamilton were the best so far as narrator, it was just meant to be her but he came on as well and she fielded the heckling brilliantly.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/25/06 at 3:21 am

I am a veteran of 6 theatre casts of RHPS, and 2 casts of the sequel, "Shock Treatment".

I was even in London, when the 25th Anniversary happened.
The only original cast members not present were Susan Saran-wrap.....I mean, Sarandon, and Charles Gray.
They re-did the criminologist's part of the film, replacing Gray with one of my all-time faves, Christopher Lee (who also plays the Crim in one of the games).

I mean, even Tim Curry, who HATES the character of Frank N. Furter, came for one night.
I was a member of the Odyssey Street Players, @ the time.

Also, my friend Fee Waybill has stepped into Frank's shoes, up in Minnesota.

Written By: Davester on 07/25/06 at 3:29 am

No logical explanation exists for Rocky Horror.  That's fantastic..!  Dammit Janet, I Love You..!

I admit, though, I've seen this so many times I'm tired of it...

Never seen it live... :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/06 at 1:11 pm

I've seen it with both of them, though Jason was Frank N Furter and not the narrator. Christine and Neil Hamilton were the best so far as narrator, it was just meant to be her but he came on as well and she fielded the heckling brilliantly.
The Hamiltons must have been great!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/06 at 1:47 pm

Seen it in the movie theatre a few times, have it on video and watched it I don't know how many times, and seen it on stage once (our local college put on a production of it a few years back). Do I like it? HELL YA!!!  Do I know every word? HELL YA!!!!

It's astounding. Time is fleeting. Madness takes its toil. So listen closely (Not for very much longer). I've got to keep control.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/25/06 at 8:46 pm

The Hamiltons must have been great!

That's my last name, too!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/29/06 at 5:06 am

Stick me in the LOVE IT, WORSHIP IT, KNOW IT OFF BY HEART category of fan !!

Have lost count of how many times I have seen the film - in 1985 we actually counted and got in the Guinness Book Of Records. But since then I must have easily watched it another 5-600 times.

On stage - again I have lost count. Only Aussie productions - all from 1982 onwards.
The best Franks I have seen were Daniel Abineri (who at the time came second to Tim Curry in the perfection stakes) and Russell Crowe. Worst has to have been Jason Donovan ! The Mr Elegant Stuart Wagstaff is my fave narrator.

I was even in London, when the 25th Anniversary happened.
The only original cast members not present were Susan Saran-wrap.....I mean, Sarandon, and Charles Gray.
They re-did the criminologist's part of the film, replacing Gray with one of my all-time faves, Christopher Lee (who also plays the Crim in one of the games).

I mean, even Tim Curry, who HATES the character of Frank N. Furter, came for one night.

That would have been a seriously cool night !!  I met Tim in 1988 over a private dinner and he said that deep down he loves the film and Frank - but like many actors who get typecast from a cult role - he had to "hate" it to get more work.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/31/06 at 4:00 am

It was amazing...once in a lifetime (unless you're either the Doctor, or me!)

The best part was kicking it with Ritz.
He is such a bad-ass!!!!!!!

I never knew how naughty Birtons could be, until then.
(Nasty Americans! *whip snap* Oh....nasty Americans!!)

BTW, Fee Waybill played a helluva Frank N. Furter!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/13/06 at 10:57 pm

...SO DID BRAD!  (Sorry, just found this thread.  Had to say it.)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/13/06 at 11:59 pm

...SO DID BRAD!  (Sorry, just found this thread.  Had to say it.)

Tim Curry's Back, & Boy, Is HE pissed!
Richard O'Brien's Front, & Boy, Is He UGLY!

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/15/06 at 7:40 am

8) Tim Curry was great as the devil in "Legend"....you know the Tom Cruise movie that everyone said sucked!...I kinda liked it... :D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/15/06 at 1:29 pm

Tim Curry is indeed a versatile actor.

Here's a few examples of other versatile actors from that film:

Richard O'Brien- Has played an alien, a TV "doctor", a medieval thief, and a Stranger.
Charles Gray (RIP)- Has played cowboys, Mycroft Holmes, a criminal mastermind, and a judge.
Meat Loaf- Has played an evangelist, a man w/breast glandular disorder, a gun smuggler, and food.
Patricia Quinn- Has played a sorceress, a schoolteacher's wife, an Army bitch, and a bounty hunter.

These are the best examples I can think of, from RHPS.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/06 at 7:52 am

Tim Curry is indeed a versatile actor.

Here's a few examples of other versatile actors from that film:

Richard O'Brien- Has played an alien, a TV "doctor", a medieval thief, and a Stranger.
Charles Gray (RIP)- Has played cowboys, Mycroft Holmes, a criminal mastermind, and a judge.
Meat Loaf- Has played an evangelist, a man w/breast glandular disorder, a gun smuggler, and food.
Patricia Quinn- Has played a sorceress, a schoolteacher's wife, an Army bitch, and a bounty hunter.

These are the best examples I can think of, from RHPS.

Richard O'Brien used to host The Crystal Maze

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/16/06 at 8:32 am

I love it...I've never seen it live...but would love to.  Oh, and Tim Curry is great!! ;) :D

Written By: KKay on 09/16/06 at 8:49 am

I know this monster intimately...

I was audio designer and engineer for the first american tour of the stage show in 95 (?)

That was when i got a real appreciation for it.. The film was always cheesy for me but live...it's a great show.  And so much of it seems impossible to pull off, but it's not.  and the cheesier your stage effects, the better.
We would set up the audio and lighting tables in the center of the audience and we were armed with garbage bags, umbrellas and a vacuum cleaner....the consoles would get rice in the faders, we were hit with chocolate pudding once...blech.

Richard O Brien yelled at me...he he he.
Chris (ohhh what's his name...the ex-husband form Absolutely Fabulous)...he was the director.  Nice guy.  He was the first ever stage show Brad.

Well, after hundreds of performances, I don't think I care to see or hear it again-  but if you can see a good live version of it, go. You'll have a blast.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/16/06 at 12:05 pm

From 1983 to late 1985, my wife, a friend of mine and I would go see the movie every Friday
and Saturday night. During this time I thought the string might be broken when my cousin was
married. During the reception I told my wife that one of the Bridesmaids looked really familiar but
I didn't know where I knew her from. My wife said one of the Groomsmen also looked familiar. We
left the reception in time to see the RHPS and to our surprise, there on the stage in front of the screen
was the Bridesmaid and Groomsman, still dressed in Gown and Tux, playing Brad and Janet.

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/06 at 8:58 pm

When I was little, I used to think Rocky Horror Picture Show had something to do with Stallone's Rocky films  :-[  ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/18/06 at 3:32 am

That's like saying that "Black Or White" has something to do with Mick Jagger!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/24/06 at 4:00 am

Richard O'Brien used to host The Crystal Maze

God that was a great show. It started in the UK when I was living there and when I returned to Aus I wrote to every TV station begging them to buy it - but no one ever did.

Written By: Gis on 09/25/06 at 6:51 am

It was never the same when he left.

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 9:19 pm

I saw a clip of the "Time Warp" on Metacafe".  I love it.  Who is the red hair girl with the annoying voice?

Written By: Gis on 10/01/06 at 1:14 pm

I saw a clip of the "Time Warp" on Metacafe".  I love it.  Who is the red hair girl with the annoying voice?
Little Nell.

Written By: spaceace on 10/01/06 at 1:21 pm

I have to get the DVD.  The girls is annoying but somewhat charming.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/05/06 at 5:38 am

It was never the same when he left.

He left ?? Who replaced him ? How long did the show continue ?

I always felt it was the precurser to so many "reality" shows - especially Survivor.

Written By: La Roche on 10/05/06 at 7:39 am

I got offered free tickets to go to the stage show next Friday, if anybody wants them I won't be using them. Possibly the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.. I would actually prefer to perform reconstructive genital surgery on myself.

Written By: spaceace on 10/05/06 at 9:51 am

It's pretty bad when you'd rather give yourself a sex-change operation.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/bored.gif

Written By: La Roche on 10/05/06 at 11:50 am

It's pretty bad when you'd rather give yourself a sex-change operation.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/bored.gif

Well.. they all cross dress.. but I'd rather just go all the way than have to watch them.

Written By: spaceace on 10/05/06 at 4:34 pm

OH THE PAIN AND AGONY!! :P

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/05/06 at 5:08 pm

Rumors are, that Ritz is working on a 3rd Installment:

Currently under the running "Hot Plum Lipstick".

Written By: Gis on 10/08/06 at 3:55 am

He left ?? Who replaced him ? How long did the show continue ?

I always felt it was the precurser to so many "reality" shows - especially Survivor.
Ed Tudor-Pole from the band Ten PoleTudor he wasn't very good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/06 at 6:26 am

Ed Tudor-Pole from the band Ten PoleTudor he wasn't very good.
Edward Tudor Pole did play Spike Milligan in the 2004 movie The Life and Death of Peter Sellers.

Written By: karen on 10/23/06 at 10:19 am

I got offered free tickets to go to the stage show next Friday, if anybody wants them I won't be using them. Possibly the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.. I would actually prefer to perform reconstructive genital surgery on myself.

sheesh wish I'd read this when you first posted it.  I'd've had 'em off you!

Written By: La Roche on 10/24/06 at 1:21 pm

sheesh wish I'd read this when you first posted it.  I'd've had 'em off you!

Funny story.

It was cold today, so I wore my leather jacket right.. I put my hands in the pockets and found the ticket stubs. I thought.. 'Ok, I can't have been so drunk that I went and forgot about it'. Then I realised, I lent the jacket to a friend of mine because she wanted to be Eddie.. or whatever the guys name is. (It is Eddie isn't it?)

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 10/24/06 at 3:42 pm

Does anyone know if there are going to be any RHPS showings this month in Tennessee, around Nashville? Is there a way I can find this out?

PS. Yeah, Davey, it's Eddie. lol

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/24/06 at 6:52 pm

I still have to see this.

When will I!?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/06 at 1:11 pm

I still have to see this.

When will I!?

OMG! A VIRGIN!!!  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/25/06 at 1:18 pm

Does anyone know if there are going to be any RHPS showings this month in Tennessee, around Nashville? Is there a way I can find this out?

PS. Yeah, Davey, it's Eddie. lol

Try going onto cosmosfactory.org. This is where the official RHPS/ST fanbase is. This will also give a listing of casts in your area.

Hoopla, Denton!  8)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/26/06 at 11:02 am

OMG! A VIRGIN!!!  :o :o :o

Cat

XDD Pathetically, I don't even know what it's about. :P

Written By: karen on 10/26/06 at 11:08 am

XDD Pathetically, I don't even know what it's about. :P

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073629/

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/26/06 at 11:11 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073629/

:P You like to send links, don't you?

Written By: karen on 10/26/06 at 11:12 am

:P You like to send links, don't you?

It's quicker than copying and pasting the whole article.  Plus another board I belong is funny about potential copyright issues.  Therefore pasting a link gets around that.

The last 15 post only two have been links

Written By: Tia on 11/13/06 at 11:09 am

i went to see rocky horror the other night and found it quite miserable. then again, they did it different -- not as much audience participation and it was sorta like the regulars had made up their own jokes. which were nonstop, loud, foul, stupid, and not at all funny. maybe if i went to a GOOD one.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/13/06 at 9:35 pm

i went to see rocky horror the other night and found it quite miserable. then again, they did it different -- not as much audience participation and it was sorta like the regulars had made up their own jokes. which were nonstop, loud, foul, stupid, and not at all funny. maybe if i went to a GOOD one.

Or not.  Sounds to me like you went to a good one :)

If you're at a THX theater, you can get started with the loudness and crudeness right at the THX sound.  "THE AUDIENCE IS F*CKED"

Written By: Tia on 11/13/06 at 9:51 pm

that could be, maybe it's just not an experience i'm cut out for. big of a fan of mst3k as i am i'da thought i'd be sold on rocky horror, but i think there's a reason why on mst3k they spent weeks writing their jokes. it's not as funny when you're making it up as you go.

Written By: KKay on 11/14/06 at 9:41 am

that could be, maybe it's just not an experience i'm cut out for. big of a fan of mst3k as i am i'da thought i'd be sold on rocky horror, but i think there's a reason why on mst3k they spent weeks writing their jokes. it's not as funny when you're making it up as you go.

^good point!
can you imagine how tame MST3K would be if they tried one live?

Written By: Gis on 11/14/06 at 10:28 am

MST3K
??

Written By: karen on 11/14/06 at 11:22 am

??

Possibly Mystery Science Theatre 3000.  At least that's what turned up via Google e.g. http://www.mst3kinfo.com/

Written By: Tia on 11/14/06 at 12:23 pm

yup, mystery science theater. so sad that acronym isn't so commonly recognized anymore, that was one of the most unique and best shows ever!

Written By: KKay on 11/14/06 at 12:30 pm

??

Possibly Mystery Science Theatre 3000.  At least that's what turned up via Google e.g. http://www.mst3kinfo.com/

Yes, and so sad it was short lived. It needs to be brought to a new generation.

Tia: do we have a thread for that?

Written By: Tia on 11/14/06 at 12:35 pm

Yes, and so sad it was short lived. It needs to be brought to a new generation.

Tia: do we have a thread for that?
i don't think so, hang on. i've obviously got too little to do today.

Written By: KKay on 11/14/06 at 12:37 pm

i don't think so, hang on. i've obviously got too little to do today.

you are so handy. 8)

Written By: Tia on 11/14/06 at 12:41 pm

just started one. it's on the 90s board.

Written By: KKay on 11/14/06 at 12:51 pm

just started one. it's on the 90s board.

Already posted. schweet!

Written By: Tia on 11/14/06 at 1:05 pm

i started ANOTHER one on this board.

Written By: Gis on 11/14/06 at 4:14 pm

Doh! I loved that show but I only got to see it when I visited my friend in Orlando, they never showed it in the U.K. I remember I was laughing so loud I woke her mum up who was not happy!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/06 at 6:17 pm

Has anyone seen Shock Treatment (the sequel to RHPS)? I just saw it for the first time a few days ago. Thought it sucked-but I did like the music.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/14/06 at 7:53 pm

Has anyone seen Shock Treatment (the sequel to RHPS)? I just saw it for the first time a few days ago. Thought it sucked-but I did like the music.
Cat

Not only have I seen it, but I also played in the Live Showings!

2 casts that I was in did it: One From the Vaults (Sparks-Reno), and Under Sedation (Sacramento).

I played the following roles: Bert Schnick, The Judge, Ralph Hapschatt, Dr. Cosmo McKinley, and Brad Majors. (Most of these I did, because I was the only one who could really sing.)

Favorite Song: "Looking At An Ace".
Favorite Line: "Are you decent in there...Janet?"

Written By: karen on 11/15/06 at 8:22 am

yup, mystery science theater. so sad that acronym isn't so commonly recognized anymore, that was one of the most unique and best shows ever!

Well it was two brits discussing it and as gis says it wasn't actually shown here so I think we can be forgiven

Written By: Tia on 11/15/06 at 8:45 am

i've also heard it said mst3k had a very american sense of humor -- very broad, very trash-culture oriented, lots of obscure references -- that might not translate too well.

Written By: La Roche on 11/15/06 at 8:49 am

i've also heard it said mst3k had a very american sense of humor -- very broad, very trash-culture oriented, lots of obscure references -- that might not translate too well.

On that note - The daily show bombed here.. and understandably so.. why air a program that deals with American news and politics in a satirical manner on British television. It would be like airing the Queens speech on NBC.

Check for new replies or respond here...