inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Victor Borge

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/06 at 2:03 pm

I was watching a PBS special on him last night and he was such a great entertainer. Does anyone have fond memories of his specials/shows when he was originally on air?

Subject: Re: Victor Borge

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/06 at 2:37 pm

I used to see his shows on PBS.  On one I remember, he kept falling off his piano bench, so he opened it up and pulled out a seat belt ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/06 at 3:07 pm

I used to see his shows on PBS.  On one I remember, he kept falling off his piano bench, so he opened it up and pulled out a seat belt ;D

That's the same one I saw last night, and when he was done, he forgot he was fastened and got up with the piano bench attached to him  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/28/06 at 3:19 pm

My favorite of his bits was probably his most famous, "Phonetic Punctuation".

I remember it being part of the regular rotation of skits on "The Electric Company".

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/29/06 at 4:42 am

My dad took me to one of his live shows back in the late 70s or early 80s. I had a look for my ticket stubb but its not in my collection - i definitely remember being 11 or 12 tho.

I giggled thru the whole show and the bit that stands out was when he asked us all to stand for the Australian national anthem - and then played something totally unrecognisable. He then stopped and turned the sheet music up the right way and played it again.

I have seen him do a similar thing on his tv shows - but to have it done with your own national anthem was a priceless moment.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/29/06 at 2:10 pm

I giggled thru the whole show and the bit that stands out was when he asked us all to stand for the Australian national anthem - and then played something totally unrecognisable. He then stopped and turned the sheet music up the right way and played it again.

*Tries to picture what "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" sounds like backwards*  ;D

Just kidding, I know that it is "Advance Australia Fair", I simply could not resist though.  So please put down that stick and do not beat me.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 07/30/06 at 2:46 am

*Tries to picture what "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" sounds like backwards*  ;D

Just kidding, I know that it is "Advance Australia Fair", I simply could not resist though.  So please put down that stick and do not beat me.

Close but no cigar - but I wont use a stick !! hehe.  Actually at the point that Borge was touring back then - our national anthem was still God Save The Queen. Advance Australia Fair was only our "unofficial" national anthem.

history is here http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/nat_anthem.html

But from memory Borge played Advance Australia Fair. He was probably asked to by the political party that wanted that song the most.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/06 at 3:01 am

I was brought on good humour of various kind and Victor Borge was on my humour list, watching what I could of him on television and having the videos at home, but I would loved to seen him live on stage, now it cannot be done.  :\'(

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/03/06 at 4:10 am

A few notes about Victor Borge-

Nickname: "The Great Dane"

His son was in a skit of Borge's, called "The Timid Page Turner"

Borge was a regular cameo performer on "Sesame Street"

Borge also had a cameo appearance in "History Of the World Part 1": He was the maitre d' in the Israeli restaurant.

Borge was once known for actually stopping a burglary in his home by -what else?- hitting the burglar with his own Grand Piano.

Check for new replies or respond here...