inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Victor Borge

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/06 at 2:03 pm

I was watching a PBS special on him last night and he was such a great entertainer. Does anyone have fond memories of his specials/shows when he was originally on air?

Subject: Re: Victor Borge

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/06 at 2:37 pm

I used to see his shows on PBS.  On one I remember, he kept falling off his piano bench, so he opened it up and pulled out a seat belt ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/06 at 3:07 pm

I used to see his shows on PBS.  On one I remember, he kept falling off his piano bench, so he opened it up and pulled out a seat belt ;D

That's the same one I saw last night, and when he was done, he forgot he was fastened and got up with the piano bench attached to him  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/28/06 at 3:19 pm

My favorite of his bits was probably his most famous, "Phonetic Punctuation".

I remember it being part of the regular rotation of skits on "The Electric Company".

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/29/06 at 4:42 am

My dad took me to one of his live shows back in the late 70s or early 80s. I had a look for my ticket stubb but its not in my collection - i definitely remember being 11 or 12 tho.

I giggled thru the whole show and the bit that stands out was when he asked us all to stand for the Australian national anthem - and then played something totally unrecognisable. He then stopped and turned the sheet music up the right way and played it again.

I have seen him do a similar thing on his tv shows - but to have it done with your own national anthem was a priceless moment.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/29/06 at 2:10 pm

I giggled thru the whole show and the bit that stands out was when he asked us all to stand for the Australian national anthem - and then played something totally unrecognisable. He then stopped and turned the sheet music up the right way and played it again.

*Tries to picture what "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" sounds like backwards*  ;D

Just kidding, I know that it is "Advance Australia Fair", I simply could not resist though.  So please put down that stick and do not beat me.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 07/30/06 at 2:46 am

*Tries to picture what "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" sounds like backwards*  ;D

Just kidding, I know that it is "Advance Australia Fair", I simply could not resist though.  So please put down that stick and do not beat me.

Close but no cigar - but I wont use a stick !! hehe.  Actually at the point that Borge was touring back then - our national anthem was still God Save The Queen. Advance Australia Fair was only our "unofficial" national anthem.

history is here http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/nat_anthem.html

But from memory Borge played Advance Australia Fair. He was probably asked to by the political party that wanted that song the most.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/06 at 3:01 am

I was brought on good humour of various kind and Victor Borge was on my humour list, watching what I could of him on television and having the videos at home, but I would loved to seen him live on stage, now it cannot be done.  :\'(

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/03/06 at 4:10 am

A few notes about Victor Borge-

Nickname: "The Great Dane"

His son was in a skit of Borge's, called "The Timid Page Turner"

Borge was a regular cameo performer on "Sesame Street"

Borge also had a cameo appearance in "History Of the World Part 1": He was the maitre d' in the Israeli restaurant.

Borge was once known for actually stopping a burglary in his home by -what else?- hitting the burglar with his own Grand Piano.

Written By: nally on 12/30/20 at 11:37 pm

I seen him on PBS quite a long time ago. I found his "inflationary language" hilarious. :D (Adding one to each number or a word sounding like a number, whether it be a cardinal number or an ordinal number.)

"Second and fivemost..."

"You look tooderful threenight. Anytwo five elevennis?"

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/21 at 2:35 pm

I seen him on PBS quite a long time ago. I found his "inflationary language" hilarious. :D (Adding one to each number or a word sounding like a number, whether it be a cardinal number or an ordinal number.)

"Second and fivemost..."

"You look tooderful threenight. Anytwo five elevennis?"
Over the festive season I set myself up to view some Victor Borge on YouTube, but was interrupted by my family bubble coming back home.

Written By: nally on 01/04/21 at 5:04 pm

Over the festive season I set myself up to view some Victor Borge on YouTube, but was interrupted by my family bubble coming back home.

I'm sure there are clips of him on YouTube. O0

Yesterday would've been his 112th birthday, btw.

Check for new replies or respond here...