inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does Progressive Rock have a bad rep?

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/01/06 at 1:59 am

I haven't heard much Progressive rock - but the stuff I have heard from bands like Genesis, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, later Pink Floyd.etc - especially the album 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' sounds pretty good. Though from what I read, many people were critical of it due to the often boring live performances. Do you think Prog rock - which was largely a European phenomena from the late 60s until the mid to late 70s, deserves this reputation?

Subject: Re: Does Progressive Rock have a bad rep?

Written By: Davester on 08/01/06 at 3:12 am

I think the whole prog rock/concept mania became dated fairly quickly (I tend to link the two together but don't know why).  I wouldn't say it has a bad reputation at all.  Time has been kind to the likes of Rush, Pink Floyd, E.L.O. and E.L.P.  Heck, 2112 is essential to a well-rounded rock library.  Concept with a capital 'C'...

While not prog rock, ever give KISS' The Elder a spin..? 

If you haven't, dont...

go ;)...

Written By: Banks on 08/01/06 at 6:35 am

I think prog rock is pretty good live. Ive seen ELO, Genesis, and Pink Floyd in concert, and I have to say that even back in the 1970's their concerts were very good. I think the early 1980's made prog rock get old very quickly. Punk music, New Wave nd the mixture of the two made prog rock seem dated, but it was, and is, still very good.

AN

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/01/06 at 8:10 am

I'm not gonna dismiss prog rock across the board but I'd rather poke out my eye than listen to King Crimson for any extended period of time.
I like ELO and ELP.

Written By: zcrito on 08/01/06 at 5:09 pm

I'm not gonna dismiss prog rock across the board but I'd rather poke out my eye than listen to King Crimson for any extended period of time.
I like ELO and ELP.

I like ELO and ELP too, but you're not dissin' "In the Court of the Crimson King" are you ??

???

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/02/06 at 1:52 am

I like ELO and ELP too, but you're not dissin' "In the Court of the Crimson King" are you ??

???

I'm not dissin anything. I'm just sayin if you want me to go to Crimson King court, you're gonna have to subpoena me.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/deal.gif

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/02/06 at 11:20 am

I'm not a big prog rock fan. I think in the 1980s it got a reputation for being excessive and overlong, leading to the fashion for shorter pop-oriented songs (that is, along with "extended version" disco songs like "Love to Love You Baby.")

Written By: loki 13 on 08/06/06 at 8:13 pm

I'm not a big prog rock fan. I think in the 1980s it got a reputation for being excessive and overlong

If your gonna have a hit, you gotta make it fit
so they cut it down to 3:05. (The Entertainer...Billy Joel)

This is why I abhor chart music.

I have been a progressive rock fan since I knew what the term meant. Stage shows boring,
I think not. From the cannons and a full orchestra of ELP to Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull
swinging from the rafters. Progressive rock shows were a spectacle to be seen. The reason
for the bad rep was that concept albums couldn't, or wouldn't, be played by radio stations.
The mid to late '70s was the beginning of a hurry up world. No one had time for the lengthy
productions of the prog rock concept albums.

For the record, I believe Pink Floyd and King Crimson would be better classified as acid rock.
Though both had concept albums, they were more psychedelic than progressive.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 9:26 pm

Pink Floyd started out as a psychedelic band, then progressively got drawn into the Prog rock movement. If you ask me, the turning point was DSOTM, after which they progressively loosened the psychedelic shackles, so that the The Wall was a geniune (if rather late) Prog rock album, complete with the elaborate stage shows Prog rock had become famous for.

Check for new replies or respond here...