inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ayds Diet Candy

Written By: MidTennHitman on 08/01/06 at 5:00 pm

It was in different flavors like chocolate, caramel and maybe vanilla..........was kinda like a tootsie roll.  I know my aunt had some in her kitchen when I was around 12 or 13 ('74/'75)

The thing I remember about Ayds candy was their TV slogan which now strikes me as rather ironic "Lose Weight Fast with Ayds"

Subject: Re: Ayds Diet Candy

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/01/06 at 5:12 pm

I remember those. A friend of my mother's stayed with us for a few days and I remember going to the store with her and she got some. I think she gave 1 to me-if I remember correctly.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/01/06 at 6:29 pm

My Mom had some of those, late 70s or early 80s.  I remember after trying one, fighting back from eating too many!  ;D 
I think my Mom knew I needed to be reminded not to eat them all...  ::)

Written By: MidTennHitman on 08/07/06 at 8:52 am

The caramel was particularly delicious

Written By: whiteport on 08/07/06 at 2:37 pm

I remember them also, my Grandmother used to have them. But the best I can remember, They Tasted Awful !!  :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/07/06 at 3:17 pm

'Diet candy'?!!

Uh, why even call it candy then?  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/07/06 at 3:31 pm

Ayds changed there name when the AIDS outbreak became known.  They changed the name to Slim Fast. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/06 at 4:50 pm

Ayds changed there name when the AIDS outbreak became known.  They changed the name to Slim Fast. 

I didn't know that. But, I don't think they are still selling "diet" candy (but I could be wrong).

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 08/08/06 at 4:32 am

I didn't know that. But, I don't think they are still selling "diet" candy (but I could be wrong).

Cat

Those "candies" were more like the Slim Fast bars they sell.

Written By: MidTennHitman on 08/08/06 at 6:56 am

Lose Weight Fast -- With Ayds!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/08/06 at 4:50 pm

Those "candies" were more like the Slim Fast bars they sell.

I used to beg them from my older sister (when I was 16) as she had loads of them but wouldn't hand them out  :D

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/09/06 at 10:05 am

Actually Slim Fast has been around as long as AYDS if not longer. They are not the same company. Sales of AYDS though did decline in the early-mid 80s once the AIDS acronym sadly entered our everyday lexicon. I believe I saw them marketed as late as the very early 90s though before they totally disappeared. I actually remember the commercials for AYDS in the very early 80s late at night when I was a young child and sometimes if I had a nightmare or couldn't sleep, my mom would let me watch TV with her until I got tired enough to go back to sleep. Commercials for AYDS, Topol toothpaste, and Tickle deodorant  seemed to run constantly on late night TV around 1981.

Check for new replies or respond here...