inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Krofft TV Shows- Your Favorite?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/03/06 at 5:06 am

OK, the poll question says it all!

My own vote is for "Dr. Shrinker".

I loved Jay Robinson as the Doctor, and Billy Barty as his pint-sized assistant, Hugo.
My favorite quote from the show: "Hugo, don't TEMPT me!"

Subject: Re: Krofft TV Shows- Your Favorite?

Written By: robby76 on 08/03/06 at 10:39 am

Other : Everyone always forgets my favourite... Bigfoot and Wildboy!!!

http://www.retrojunk.com/img/tvshows/bigfoot_sm_651.jpg

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/979-bigfoot-and-wildboy/

Written By: Tia on 08/03/06 at 10:59 am

retrojunk is awesome.

Written By: gemini on 08/03/06 at 5:12 pm

I loved Land Of The Lost  :)

Written By: whiteport on 08/06/06 at 10:27 am

Lidsville,  Hey anybody remember Kaptain Kool & The Kongs ? Wasn't that a Krofft show ?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/06/06 at 1:48 pm

Pufnstuff

Written By: coloradohurricane on 08/06/06 at 3:17 pm

I don't remember watching it, but I have been told that HR PuffnStuff was my favorite show as a toddler.

Written By: CeeKay on 08/07/06 at 5:25 pm

H.R. Puffnstuff was my favorite.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/07/06 at 6:56 pm

I also seem to remember liking "Sigmund", and "Far Out Space Nuts", as a young child.

I believe "Electro Woman & Dyna Girl" was also a Krofft production, though I could be wrong.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/07/06 at 7:05 pm

Don't like them because I've never seen them.

Written By: Tia on 08/07/06 at 7:13 pm

I also seem to remember liking "Sigmund", and "Far Out Space Nuts", as a young child.

I believe "Electro Woman & Dyna Girl" was also a Krofft production, though I could be wrong.
Ew&Dg was indeed a krofft production. it was TERRIBLE, too.

sorta, um, hot, though.

Written By: Davester on 08/07/06 at 7:22 pm

Went with Land of the Lost because that's the only one I remember...

The Sleestacks (<---? ???) scared the beejeezus out of me groove ;) on...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/07/06 at 7:25 pm

The Krofft Bros. definitely had some out-there ideas, when it came to TV Shows.

However, I still fly the banner of "Dr. Shrinker" on top of my Eye Of the Storm.

Written By: Tia on 08/07/06 at 8:08 pm

LAND OF THE LOST IS FRICKIN' AWESOME.

it was everything Ew&Dg wasn't.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/07/06 at 8:14 pm

To again paraphrase from Blue Swede- "Hooga, Chaka, hooga-hooga! Hooga, Chaka, Hooga-hooga!"

Written By: Mushroom on 08/08/06 at 3:45 pm

Here is a pretty complete list of their shows:

Family Affair (2002)
Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (2001; unsuccessful pilot)
Land of the Lost (1991)
D.C. Follies (1987)
The Patti Labelle Show (1985)
Pryor's Place (1984)
Harry Tracy, Desperado (1982)
Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters (1980)
Middle Age Crazy (1980)
The Bay City Rollers Show (1978)
The Krofft Supershow (1978)
Bigfoot and Wildboy (1977)
The Brady Bunch Hour (1977)
Wonderbug (1976)
Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (1976)
Dr. Shrinker (1976)
Donny and Marie (1976) aka The Osmond Family Show
The Lost Saucer (1975)
Far Out Space Nuts (1975)
Land of the Lost (1974)
Sigmund and the Sea Monsters (1973)
Lidsville (1971)
The Bugaloos (1970)
Pufnstuf (1970)
H.R. Pufnstuf (1969)

And the sad thing is, I remember most of them!  But my favorite has to be:

Land Of The Lost

The reason is that of all the "kids shows" of the era, this really was the most "adult".  Unlike most childrens shows, S&M went to a real science fiction author in order to help design the show:  David Gerrold.

For those that do not recognize the name, David Gerrold wrote "The Trouble With Tribbles" for Star Trek, and "Encounter At Starpoint" for ST-TNG.  He actually designed most of the LotL world, including the "Script Bible", the Pylons, and the Sleestak's (he early realized that S&M forgot a crucial element: a recurring villan).

In addition, he was able to get some really tallented sci-fi authors to submit scripts for the show.  Larry Niven, Norman Spinrad, Walter Koenig, Ben Bova, D. C. Fontanna, Theodore Sturgen, and others.  Sadly, after the second season, S&M decided that they would cut costs, and in addition to cutting part of the cast (including the father), they fired David and all of the real authors.  The thrid season is vastly inferior by accounts of most fans, and it was cancelled at the end.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/08/06 at 3:49 pm

Maaaaannnnn!

I forgot all about DC Follies!

I used to watch that one, too.
That was the American answer to Britain's "Spitting Image: Down & Out In the White House".

I LOVE the one where Mr. Rogers denies that anything happened between him & Henrietta the Cat!
And Fred Willard was an absolutely PERFECT casting choice as the bartender!

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/09/06 at 4:10 pm

Electra Woman was played by Deidre Hall!

My favorite has to be Land of the Lost, but I hated the Sleestacks.

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 1:06 am

Electra Woman was played by Deidre Hall!

My favorite has to be Land of the Lost, but I hated the Sleestacks.
a lot of people were severely spooked by the sleezies. i certainly was when i was a little rodent. they were CREEPY dude.

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/11/06 at 1:11 am

i just about voted for Sigmund but Land Of The Lost won out..pretty much a tie as are the Krofft Supershow and H.R. PufnStuff..yep,i was a fan of 'em all  :D

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 1:14 am

i just about voted for Sigmund but Land Of The Lost won out..pretty much a tie as are the Krofft Supershow and H.R. PufnStuff..yep,i was a fan of 'em all  :D
wise choice.

i think if you watch sigmund again, or electrawoman and dynagirl, you might find them actually a bit painful. i loved em in the day but they're pretty rough.

LotL gets my undying devotion though. that show was amazing.

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/11/06 at 1:22 am

wise choice.

i think if you watch sigmund again, or electrawoman and dynagirl, you might find them actually a bit painful. i loved em in the day but they're pretty rough.

LotL gets my undying devotion though. that show was amazing.

mahahaha!!!!!! love the 'wise choice'  ;D

er..did i mention i own the hr pufnstuff box set  ::) ;D..it was a gift..i've never actually watched the whole thing,just a few minutes..i had a crush on the father in land of the lost back in the day and i dunno..there was just 'smething' about the sigmund show..i totally loved it  ??? ;D

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 1:35 am

mahahaha!!!!!! love the 'wise choice'  ;D

er..did i mention i own the hr pufnstuff box set  ::) ;D..it was a gift..i've never actually watched the whole thing,just a few minutes..i had a crush on the father in land of the lost back in the day and i dunno..there was just 'smething' about the sigmund show..i totally loved it  ??? ;D
a lot of girls i talk to grooved on that one guy, jack something or other, from sigmund. me, i was all about kathy coleman (holly) from land of the lost back when i was like eight years old. she was the BEEZNEEZ.

spence milligan was the beefy dad from land of the lost. if you ever saw the woody allen movie sleeper, he was the really effiminate gay guy in that. real method actor, he was.

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/11/06 at 1:48 am

a lot of girls i talk to grooved on that one guy, jack something or other, from sigmund. me, i was all about kathy coleman (holly) from land of the lost back when i was like eight years old. she was the BEEZNEEZ.

spence milligan was the beefy dad from land of the lost. if you ever saw the woody allen movie sleeper, he was the really effiminate gay guy in that. real method actor, he was.

good to know and yet again,thx for the laughs,Mike  ;D

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 1:52 am

good to know and yet again,thx for the laughs,Mike  ;D
lol.

i got your land of the lost trivia. just ask. i love that damn show.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/11/06 at 6:31 pm

Tia...don't TEMPT me!!!!!

:D :D

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 6:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6LZzVCpYDY

among the catchiest t.v. jingles ever made, imo. the end credit jingle is even better.,

http://landofthelost.com/lotlend.wav

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/11/06 at 6:51 pm

Tia...you're TEMPTING me!!!!!

;D

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 6:54 pm

http://landofthelost.com/images/fence2.jpg

look how cute they are!

Written By: whiteport on 08/11/06 at 10:43 pm

http://krofft.dementedstuff.com/kkaktop1.jpg

Kaptain Kool & The Kongs I knew I remembered these guys they were a part of the Kroft Super Show or something like that...

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/11/06 at 11:04 pm

http://landofthelost.com/images/fence2.jpg

look how cute they are!

somehow the father seemed cuter 30 years ago  ::) ;D

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 11:11 pm

somehow the father seemed cuter 30 years ago  ::) ;D
back in those days he was actually as old as we are now, i believe... mid 30sish. if you ever watch some LotL for old time's sake (which i totally recommend) he's sorta... HUGE. real beefy and 70s manly-man.

that's a bad picture though.

you know he'll have nothing to do with the show now? kathy coleman and wesley eure both do conventions and dvd commentaries and whatnot but spence milligan wants to pretend he was never in that show.

burns me up. i'm all, spence! not to be harsh but that's the only thing you were ever in that anybody knows!

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/11/06 at 11:26 pm

back in those days he was actually as old as we are now, i believe... mid 30sish. if you ever watch some LotL for old time's sake (which i totally recommend) he's sorta... HUGE. real beefy and 70s manly-man.

that's a bad picture though.

you know he'll have nothing to do with the show now? kathy coleman and wesley eure both do conventions and dvd commentaries and whatnot but spence milligan wants to pretend he was never in that show.

burns me up. i'm all, spence! not to be harsh but that's the only thing you were ever in that anybody knows!

i just checked out this pic on my tv page http://www.geocities.com/ktelqueen/tv.html  to see if he seemed any more attractive but..um..no  ;D

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 11:32 pm

i just checked out this pic on my tv page http://www.geocities.com/ktelqueen/tv.html  to see if he seemed any more attractive but..um..no  ;D

lol. well, to be fair i don't actually, er, "swing that way" (and believe me, i've tried) so my estimations of who's good looking and who's not, fella-wise, might be a little bit off.

wesley's all babitudinous, though, i do know that. his character was supposed to be 16, i'm not sure how old he actually was, but he alternated between doing land of the lost and doing like, all my children or something?, a soap where he was supposed to be a medical doctor. how crazy doogie hauser is that?!

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/11/06 at 11:44 pm

lol. well, to be fair i don't actually, er, "swing that way" (and believe me, i've tried) so my estimations of who's good looking and who's not, fella-wise, might be a little bit off.

wesley's all babitudinous, though, i do know that. his character was supposed to be 16, i'm not sure how old he actually was, but he alternated between doing land of the lost and doing like, all my children or something?, a soap where he was supposed to be a medical doctor. how crazy doogie hauser is that?!

ok so that was a fun covering-my-mouth-laughing-my-as.s-off kinda moment  ;D

Written By: Tia on 08/12/06 at 12:04 am

ok so that was a fun covering-my-mouth-laughing-my-as.s-off kinda moment  ;D
he was also a male model, wesley, back in the LotL days. when you see the show he does a bunch of hooking his thumbs in his jeans 70s style, apparently that was his big male-model move, the thumbs in the pockets.

kathy coleman was all into him but she was, like, 11 when she started the show so she didn't know about that grownup birds-and-the-bees stuff, so every once in a while she'd express her love for him by licking the tip of his nose.

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/12/06 at 12:27 am

he was also a male model, wesley, back in the LotL days. when you see the show he does a bunch of hooking his thumbs in his jeans 70s style, apparently that was his big male-model move, the thumbs in the pockets.

kathy coleman was all into him but she was, like, 11 when she started the show so she didn't know about that grownup birds-and-the-bees stuff, so every once in a while she'd express her love for him by licking the tip of his nose.

there's only so much harharring i can take  ;D ;D

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/12/06 at 1:16 pm

Land Of the Lost

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/12/06 at 10:17 pm

8)  Land Of The Lost AND Sigmund The Seamonster!  Hey...the Shellaphone is ringing..I gotta go...

Written By: KKay on 09/12/06 at 10:19 pm

The Bugaloos and Sigmund.

Sigmund was a sad little fellow and i felt badly for him.  The Bugaloos had accents.

Yes...I"M THAT shallow.

Check for new replies or respond here...