inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dateline: April 9, 1970 (The Event)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/07/06 at 9:51 pm

On April 9, 1970, Paul McCartney announced to the world that the Beatles were breaking up.  :\'(

For those who can remember, how did that news hit you?

I'd been a Beatles fan for as long as I can remember, even as a child.  Being pretty young in 1970, I felt very sad and surprised by the news.  (Even though some older than me said they saw it coming.)  It was sort of like a good family friend or relative all of a sudden said the word "divorce".  I remember this sinking feeling that nothing would ever be like the Beatles and their magic again.

Afterwards, I remember for some time feeling resentment, especially toward Paul.  But once the solo hits started flowing, all was forgiven...  ::)

Anyone else have a reaction to this event?

Subject: Re: Dateline: April 9, 1970 (The Event)

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/08/06 at 10:24 am

Of course I wasn't around back in 1970, but I've read about it, seen the documentary, and I can't imagine the shockwave it would've sent around the world. Perhaps only John Lennon's death a decade later would equal it in impact. Did people see it coming? I know the Beatles' weren't getting alone after the Sgt. Pepper period, and I believe they split for a brief period in 1968 before reforming for the Abbey Road sessions.

Written By: MidTennHitman on 08/09/06 at 12:58 pm

Just read the new book by Geoff Emerick the engineer on all the Beatles albums and he said that there was never a moment during the recording of the White album when more than two of the guys were in the studio at the same time. The death knell was official when McCartney released his first solo effort "McCartney" the same week that "Let It Be" was released

Written By: Banks on 08/09/06 at 10:00 pm

I was born 2 years after the Beatles broke up, so for me they had never really been together. I always liked Paul McArtney, John Lennon, George Harrison and, to a lesser extent, Ringo Starr's solo efforts, especially Harrison's Cracker Box Palace, McArtney's Mull Of Kintire and Lennon's Imagine songs, among many many others, and The Beatles were always on the radio, so I never felt like I was missing out on much, if anything.

If you want to hear from the proverbial 'Horses Mouth' then check out the DVD 'Wingspan' which details the career of Wings and delves a little bit into the pre-Wings history. McArtney talks intimately with his daughter about many things, including the how's and why's of The Beatles breakup and John and Pauls 'war of words through songs' (all from his perspective that is).

Its very interesting and is well worth a looksee.

hjl

Check for new replies or respond here...