inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Talk SHow Host Mike Douglas Dead At 81

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/11/06 at 1:58 pm

He hadn't been on television since 1982. But for three decades, Mike Douglas was one of the most popular talk show host on syndicated television. His most famous claim was when John Lennon guest-hosted with Yoko Ono. He later claimed in his memiors that his composure was 'sorely tested' due to their antics.  He was also an accomplished singer and entertainer. He will be sorely missed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060811/ap_en_tv/obit_douglas

Subject: Re: Talk SHow Host Mike Douglas Dead At 81

Written By: Mushroom on 08/11/06 at 2:34 pm

He hadn't been on television since 1982. But for three decades, Mike Douglas was one of the most popular talk show host on syndicated television. His most famous claim was when John Lennon guest-hosted with Yoko Ono. He later claimed in his memiors that his composure was 'sorely tested' due to their antics.  He was also an accomplished singer and entertainer. He will be sorely missed.

That is truely sad.  I used to love his show when I was growing up, and would watch it after school before starting my homework.

For years there have been talks of him starting another show, but they never seemed to happen.  His was really the last of it's kind, where a host would bring out several guests, and they would all sit around and talk about all kinds of things.

One of the things I remember most was the singing.  It seems that a lot of his guests were musicians or singers of one form or another.  It was on his show that I first heard Jim Stafford sing "Cow Patty".  And I still remember watching Gil Gerard (of Buck Rogers fame) singing a pop song called "Answering Machine".

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/11/06 at 2:38 pm

How sad!  :\'(

I used to watch his show a lot back in the 70's...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/11/06 at 3:42 pm

Very sad, indeed!  :\'(

I watched his show often in the 70's.  He was a kind of "fixture" at the time.  R.I.P. Mike Douglas

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/11/06 at 8:19 pm

Rest in Peace, Mr. Douglas... you will be missed...

Written By: whistledog on 08/11/06 at 8:27 pm

I was very young when his show went off the air, but I do remember seeing it once or twice. 

R.I.P. Mr. Douglas  :\'(

Written By: whiteport on 08/11/06 at 10:35 pm

Sad news indeed, I remember when KISS were on The Mike Douglas Show back in '74 I think..

R.I.P.

Written By: Davester on 08/11/06 at 10:57 pm

Somehow I'm putting the "Mike Douglas Show" and Elvis' death together, in my mind.  Don't know why.  Parhaps the subject was being discussed on this particular show, or we learned of Elvis' death immediately before or after an airing of the show...

In any case, so long Mike... :(

Written By: Banks on 08/13/06 at 2:29 am

Im not sure, but I think the Mike Douglas Show may have aired here in Australia. If not, then it sounds like a good show.

I have the John Lennon and Yoko Ono episode on DVD...Im not sure who it is released through, but it is out there.

Its a very sad day when the people you grew up watching on TV start to leave our world.

The same thing happened to me when all those old time actors from the 1930's and 40's began to pass away.

RIP

Mike Douglas.

AN

Written By: Paul on 08/13/06 at 12:48 pm

His name doesn't mean a lot to us Brits, but he appears to have been a very well-remembered man...

However, probably less well-remembered was his one and only foray into the charts with the sickly 'The Men In My Little Girl's Life' sometime in 1966...

Check for new replies or respond here...