inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your favorite from Monty Python

Written By: KKay on 08/31/06 at 8:20 am

I struggle with this question daily, but I suppose the picture in my signature line expresses my preference. 

sooo handsome in 1969...
http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/10/monty.python/story.group.jpg

Subject: Re: Your favorite from Monty Python

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/06 at 9:22 am

There is no way I could ever say which ones I liked more, I loved them all.  I could no more pick a favourite MP player, then I could say which eyeball I like most, the left or the right.

Even all these years after they broke up, I still find myself watching movies because one of the former members is in it.  And on drunken weekends, I still find myself singing "Bruce's Philosophers Drinking Song", or watching them "Live At The Hollywood Bowl.

And whenever I feel like my life has gone into the toilet, a chorus of "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" always picks me right up again.

So register my vote as "All Of The Above".  And add the "Other Python", their financial backer and frequent collaborator, George Harrison.

Written By: KKay on 08/31/06 at 9:30 am

Lovely^  I find that for some reason, I love to saturate my time with Python in the fall...don't know why- just a good time to curl up with some good comedy.  I guess I"m going to state for the record that I love Eric Idle...particularly the very innocent characters, the sociologist and the trainspotter...but my heart will always belong to Michael Palin.

yes, good write in for George!  I also want to mention the lovely and talented Connie Booth.

Written By: Tia on 08/31/06 at 11:01 am

i always the show was kinda overrated. fitfully funny, full of dry spots and places where it seemed like they were a bit self-consciously trying to be deliberately off the wall.

but terry gilliam went on to become an amazing movie director and i like john cleese's work after monty python. so i went with them.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/06 at 11:58 am

i always the show was kinda overrated. fitfully funny, full of dry spots and places where it seemed like they were a bit self-consciously trying to be deliberately off the wall.

but terry gilliam went on to become an amazing movie director and i like john cleese's work after monty python. so i went with them.

The MP players were heavily inspired by Peter Sellers and The Goons.  Their comedy was a combination of off-the-wall silly, and deeply cerebral.  And hidden inside, was a unique take on life.  They could take an issue like discrimination (Never Be Rude To An Arab) and leave you laughing.

But it also hellps to have at least a bit of understanding at British humor.  Having grown up watching Flying Circus on PBS in the 1970's, I always loved their antics.  However, my dad never could stand them, and never understood what was so funny.

After all, who else could do a song about a cross-dressing lumberjack, then turn right around and do a song about the sanctity of sperm.  Then follow it with a song telling how inconsequential your life is.

Written By: Tia on 08/31/06 at 12:01 pm

i understood it, i just didn't think it was that funny.

the movies tended to drag, too. don't get me wrong, they definitely had their moments, but overall i didn't like their sense of pacing.

peter sellers was a genius though.

Written By: Tam on 08/31/06 at 12:13 pm

I said Terry Jones and John Cleese.
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0085959/th-7.jpghttp://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0085959/th-2.jpg

Unfortunately, my parents wouldn't allow me to watch MP till I got older and thus I only became acquainted with their movies, my favorite being The Meaning of Life. (1983)
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/55/49/43m.jpg

I love their satires and their humor - written as it was without prejudice. Nothing is/was sacred to them, not even sperm!! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/06 at 12:23 pm

The whole cast are to my liking and I cannot shed any difference on any of each of the members of the cast.

By the way, first appeared on the British Broadcasting Corporation's BBC-1 on 5 October 1969.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/06 at 12:32 pm

Tough choice. I think I will go with "All of the above".

And now for something complete different.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/06 at 12:33 pm

I like spam!

Written By: KKay on 08/31/06 at 12:46 pm

i began watching in the 70s...and then reading about them and following their careers when i was older...i find their history very interesting and i have seen pretty much all there is to see of them and the related material.
all fun for me.

and, like Tia said, some are not THAT funny; however, the time period, the people and the style of the show appeals to me very much.
so all round it suits me .

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/06 at 12:48 pm

i began watching in the 70s...and then reading about them and following their careers when i was older...i find their history very interesting and i have seen pretty much all there is to see of them and the related material.
all fun for me.

and, like Tia said, some are not THAT funny; however, the time period, the people and the style of the show appeals to me very much.
so all round it suits me .
For me I find MPFC funny when I reflect on them with friends than watching the whole shows now.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/31/06 at 1:55 pm

I'd have to say John Cleese. To me, he's the perfect caricature of an upright, snotty, upper-class Englishman.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 09/02/06 at 3:15 am

Right from childhood my favourites were always Eric and Michael. Graeme & John next. Was never into the Terrys.

Can still not get through Life of Brian without falling off my sofa in paroxyms.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/06 at 3:17 am

Right from childhood my favourites were always Eric and Michael. Graeme & John next. Was never into the Terrys.

Can still not get through Life of Brian without falling off my sofa in paroxyms.
When I first saw MP's Life of Brian, I left the cinema with a sore throat from to much laughter.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/02/06 at 8:00 am

Michael Palin

Written By: mandamoo on 09/02/06 at 8:35 am

John Cleese and Michael Palin

Written By: KKay on 09/02/06 at 8:37 am

Palin is catching  up to Cleese.....

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/02/06 at 8:39 am

Palin is catching  up to Cleese.....

As only he should  ;)

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 09/03/06 at 2:05 am

Eric Idle because he just grew on me. I liked his voice and his face. I'm weird, I know.

Michael Palin because he's the hottest one on the bunch. And karma for everyone who voted for him!

I was REALLY close to voting for Eric and John Cleese, but I dunno. I like how John's still around. It's weird for me to watch Shrek 2 and recall that he plays the voice of the king.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/06 at 2:09 am

I was REALLY close to voting for Eric and John Cleese, but I dunno. I like how John's still around. It's weird for me to watch Shrek 2 and recall that he plays the voice of the king.
About two months back John Cleese announced his retirement from comedy, but I reckon he will still be around.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 09/03/06 at 2:13 am

About two months back John Cleese announced his retirement from comedy, but I reckon he will still be around.

:(

But goodness, how old is he now? And who's even still alive? I know Chapman's not, but that's all I know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/06 at 2:19 am

But goodness, how old is he now? And who's even still alive? I know Chapman's not, but that's all I know.
John Cleese was born on October 27 1939, so he is now 67.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/06 at 2:24 am

John Cleese was born on October 27 1939,
Michael Palin was born on 5 May 1943. The youngest.
Eric Idle was born on 29 March 1943.
Terry Jones was born on 1 February 1942.
Graham Chapman was born on 8 January 1941, sadly died on 4 October 1989.

Written By: Tia on 09/03/06 at 2:16 pm

john cleese's eulogy for mr. chapman is pretty amazing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/06 at 2:20 pm

john cleese's eulogy for mr. chapman is pretty amazing.
...and I will not repeat it here.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/03/06 at 7:26 pm

Michael and Graham.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/05/06 at 3:30 pm

Or as the rest of the Python Players say whenever he is brought up:

The Dead One

I would love to be able to see a clip of them they did at a ceremony a few years ago.  When the remaining cast members were reunited in Aspen, Colorado for a 2000 roundtable discussion, Chapman's ashes were paraded onstage with fanfare and applause. Then Terry Gilliam accidentally knocked the urn over with his foot, and the remains were cleared away with a Dust buster.  This actually predates a similar bit used in Meet The Parents.

Now on the rare occasions where all of the players are reunited, they bring along an urn that supposedly contains his ashes.

Written By: gmann on 09/05/06 at 11:08 pm

Terry Gilliam. Why, you ask? Who else could have come up with those cartoons?  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/06 at 12:50 pm

Terry Gilliam. Why, you ask? Who else could have come up with those cartoons?  8)
He was making similar animations on another comedy television programme called Do Not Adjust Your Set which predates MPFC.

Written By: KKay on 09/06/06 at 2:44 pm

hey! Palin takes the lead!

Written By: Feelthafunk on 09/07/06 at 6:57 pm

Being born 1980, i wasn't privvy to MP until i was older. But i have to say the humour is for me timeless and always cracks me up. Another set of comedy geniuses i miss are the two ronnies..I fear we have seen the last of tongue in cheek comedy. In favour of out right rude, vulgararity..perhaps i'm weird at 26 and i'm alone in this view..Shame i missed the 70's, i love the movies, music..

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/12/06 at 1:10 pm

John Cleese

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/12/06 at 10:19 pm

8) John Cleese...The Minister Of Silly Walks ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...