inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does '70s Fleetwood Mac precede/sound like the '80s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/11/06 at 4:56 am

I think they do, in a general sense.

I was just listening to 1975's "Say You Love Me" on the radio. Even that early on, I'd say it's some of the first music of the '70s that closer resembles the '80s than the '60s. That bright and happy pop rock exterior, two guitar solos, and the "buildup" on the choruses and solos, are all features of a typical '80s song. 1977's "Go Your Own Way" is very similar. It almost sounds like a synthpop/AOR fusion from, like 1982 (the intro, for example). In fact, before I knew when it came out, I thought it actually was '80s. ;)

P.S. The irony of this is, when Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band, they took it in an entirely new direction from the heavy blues they played before.

Subject: Re: Does '70s Fleetwood Mac precede/sound like the '80s?

Written By: Banks on 09/12/06 at 2:16 am

Well...I see what you mean. Im a big Fleetwood Mac fan and have all their albums.

While I agree that it definately has that more progressive sound from the early 80's, I dont think its an 80's song. It was, after all, released in the 1970's, making it a 1970's song. Fleetwood Mac definately does seem to predict the future of the music industry after Nicks and Buckingham joiined. They definately have that 80's sound, but with a firm 70's grounding.

jmo

hjl

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/13/06 at 1:19 am

Well...I see what you mean. Im a big Fleetwood Mac fan and have all their albums.

While I agree that it definately has that more progressive sound from the early 80's, I dont think its an 80's song. It was, after all, released in the 1970's, making it a 1970's song. Fleetwood Mac definately does seem to predict the future of the music industry after Nicks and Buckingham joiined. They definately have that 80's sound, but with a firm 70's grounding.

jmo

Well put. :)

I actually went back and watched Buckingham's Behind the Music episode again. Now that I think about it, I'd say the atmosphere and inspiration of their music is a little bit grounded in the '60s (i.e. the laid back/hippie-esque "California Love" scene). Although the actual sound is closer to the '80s, if that makes any sense.

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/13/06 at 1:35 am

Well put. :)

I actually went back and watched Buckingham's Behind the Music episode again. Now that I think about it, I'd say the atmosphere and inspiration of their music is a little bit grounded in the '60s (i.e. the laid back/hippie-esque "California Love" scene). Although the actual sound is closer to the '80s, if that makes any sense.

I think F.M. are part of the whole '70s "SoCal" soft rock scene, which did influence the '80s to a degree, along with the Eagles, Jackson Browne, and Linda Ronstadt, and even Joni Mitchell's more mainstream c. 1975ish work.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/13/06 at 2:17 am

I think F.M. are part of the whole '70s "SoCal" soft rock scene, which did influence the '80s to a degree, along with the Eagles, Jackson Browne, and Linda Ronstadt, and even Joni Mitchell's more mainstream c. 1975ish work.

Would you sorta compare mid '70s Fleetwood's relation to the '80s, to Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA (condusive to each time period)? Like how Bruce didn't completely "sound like 1988", but he helped inspire it, and his 1984 music was still liked/not truly dated then, too.

I forgot about Jackson Browne, but I agree. I think his first few albums were more rooted in the folky singer/songwriter vein (ala James Taylor, though a little more classic rock), but starting with "Running on Empty", he became closer to the AOR done by the Eagles or Tom Petty. His '80s hits were just a slight transition from that style, too (i.e. "Somebody's Baby" or "Tender is the Night" could basically be "Running on Empty" with a vague new wave production).

Check for new replies or respond here...