inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Please help identify this 70's toy.

Written By: Moon444 on 09/24/06 at 5:05 pm

:) Hi everyone, i'm new here and am hoping someone can help me figure out what the name of this toy is. 

It was for your feet. They looked like yellow plastic cups turned upside down and your feet would be placed on top of each one. Attached at the top of the cup was a loop with a thin plastic rope which was about 2 feet long and tied. (You would place your feet onto the plastic cups, hold the thin plastic rope and proceed to walk around on this toy.)

I had it in the 70's, and all I can remember is running around with it and the weird "clunk clunk" noise it used to make when the plastic cups hit the cement.

Does anybody know what its called?

Subject: Re: Please help identify this 70's toy.

Written By: karen on 09/25/06 at 10:25 am

I'm not sure that it had a proper name.  we used to make our own from syrup tins.

modified to add

This site has them listed as Romper Stompers.

You can still buy them.  Look for something called Monster Feet (in the UK)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/06 at 11:46 am

Yup-Romper Stompers (from the show Romper Room).

I'm not sure that it had a proper name.  we used to make our own from syrup tins.

We used to make them out of Hawaiian Punch cans.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Moon444 on 09/25/06 at 2:19 pm

Thats them! Thank you.  ;D

Wow, looking at that toy list, brought back so many childhood memories, like Super Elastic Bubble Plastic.

I remember it being this multi-colored, gooey, smelly stuff that came in little tubes with a small red straw. If it got on your clothes, it would not come off. I remember always wanting to make the biggest bubbles possible, so would squeeze out a big blob of this stuff, but could never get the bubbles that large. If not placed on the straw just right, the plastic would get thin on one side and break. Once that happened, the bubble plastic would get hard.

Did anybody else used to play with this stuff?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/06 at 2:29 pm

Thats them! Thank you.  ;D

Wow, looking at that toy list, brought back so many childhood memories, like Super Elastic Bubble Plastic.

I remember it being this multi-colored, gooey, smelly stuff that came in little tubes with a small red straw. If it got on your clothes, it would not come off. I remember always wanting to make the biggest bubbles possible, so would squeeze out a big blob of this stuff, but could never get the bubbles that large. If not placed on the straw just right, the plastic would get thin on one side and break. Once that happened, the bubble plastic would get hard.

Did anybody else used to play with this stuff?

Oh man, that brings back memories. Yes, I remember that stuff.

Cat

Written By: Ansand on 09/25/06 at 2:51 pm

:) Hi everyone, i'm new here and am hoping someone can help me figure out what the name of this toy is.   

It was for your feet. They looked like yellow plastic cups turned upside down and your feet would be placed on top of each one. Attached at the top of the cup was a loop with a thin plastic rope which was about 2 feet long and tied. (You would place your feet onto the plastic cups, hold the thin plastic rope and proceed to walk around on this toy.)

I had it in the 70's, and all I can remember is running around with it and the weird "clunk clunk" noise it used to make when the plastic cups hit the cement.

Does anybody know what its called?

I remember these! they were called... hmm, it'll come to me....

Written By: Paul on 09/25/06 at 3:16 pm

I remember these! they were called... hmm, it'll come to me....

See karen's post above...it'll come to you even quicker!  ;)

Me and my sister made ours out of baked bean tins (I think...)

Written By: Ansand on 09/25/06 at 3:36 pm

See karen's post above...it'll come to you even quicker!  ;)

Me and my sister made ours out of baked bean tins (I think...)

ah, yes! i dont know how I missed that. I was thinking "clickety clanks" or "clunks"

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/06 at 8:04 pm

Once upon a time, we didn't have no lawyers for Greenpeace  freaking out about lead pthalates in clear rubber toys and  mouse cords, (lead scary!) nor did we have lawyers lobbying for the plumbers' union about the merits of PVC pipe (evil, fulla chemicals, anyone can install it in an hour) vs. lead/copper/brass brazing and soldering (perfectly safe, pay no attention to the Romans, requires a licensed plumber/welder to show up!).

No, once upon a time, the earth was young, and Super Elastic Bubble Plastic roamed the earth.

We went to the Toy Store, we got ourselves some polyvinyl acetate, colors, plasticy goop, and we dissolved the whole mess in acetone (!), which we then deliberately evaporated (!!) into our living rooms after using a straw (!!!) to inflate the acetone solution into a bubble.  That's right.  Parents buyin' their kids acetone, handin' 'em a mouth pipette, and tellin 'em to go blow bubbles in the stuff. 

The p*bleep*ssification of America continues.

Written By: kairi747 on 09/26/06 at 9:48 pm

here they are - you can find them on ebay!!

Written By: karen on 09/27/06 at 3:22 am

I have bought something similar for my son called Monster Feet.  I thought about posting a reply yesterday but couldn't quite remember the name of the company I'd bought them from.  Got home and found a catalogue from that company arrived in the post!

http://www.hawkin.com/

They also sell that plastic bubble stuff Moon444 mentions.  They're a UK company but they do deliver overseas.

Written By: Gis on 09/27/06 at 4:58 am

I have bought something similar for my son called Monster Feet.  I thought about posting a reply yesterday but couldn't quite remember the name of the company I'd bought them from.  Got home and found a catalogue from that company arrived in the post!

http://www.hawkin.com/

They also sell that plastic bubble stuff Moon444 mentions.  They're a UK company but they do deliver overseas.
Is that hawkins bazaar? I LOVE that shop it is so cool we have one in Oxford now.  :)

As to the Romper Stomper things I do recall nearly breaking my neck whenever I tried them!

Written By: karen on 09/27/06 at 5:13 am

Is that hawkins bazaar? I LOVE that shop it is so cool we have one in Oxford now.  :)

It is Hawkins Bazaar.  There isn't a shop near me at all  :\'( so I have to hide the catalogues from the kids and get the parcels delivered to work!  I've already spotted some ideas for Christmas and birthdays

Written By: Gis on 09/27/06 at 5:49 am

It is Hawkins Bazaar.  There isn't a shop near me at all  :\'( so I have to hide the catalogues from the kids and get the parcels delivered to work!  I've already spotted some ideas for Christmas and birthdays
I used to have to go through the catalogue, choose what I wanted, then the next visit to Margate arrange to go to Canterbury for the afternoon to the store there! Sadly it is a very little, narrow shop which as you can imagine gets insane at christmas. Last year Ian wouldn't even step in the door, but being made of sterner stuff I got the elbows out and headed in to the fray. 

Check for new replies or respond here...