inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WHAT HAS BECOME OF PUNK?

Written By: Linda Lane on 09/28/06 at 12:48 pm

Im doing a dissertation and am intrested in getting peoples views of How has Punk influenced the way we are today?
What have we managed to get out of the whole Punk scene?
what I mean is what still carries on today and how has Punk influenced the world we live in?
What has Punk done to the design world?
How has Jamie Reid and barney Bubbles influenced the graphic material of today?
What came after Punk and What are your opinions on it?
What do you think is the influence of Punk and how has it moved and changed?

What is Punk in todays world? How has it been kept alive?

What are the aesthetics of Punk?

You can either post your comment or email me at Punkdissertation@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks

Subject: Re: WHAT HAS BECOME OF PUNK?

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/28/06 at 6:22 pm

I DON'T KNOW.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 6:41 pm

Im doing a dissertation and am intrested in getting peoples views of How has Punk influenced the way we are today?
What have we managed to get out of the whole Punk scene?
what I mean is what still carries on today and how has Punk influenced the world we live in?
What has Punk done to the design world?
What came after Punk and What are your opinions on it?
What do you think is the influence of Punk and how has it moved and changed?

What is Punk in todays world? How has it been kept alive?

What are the aesthetics of Punk?

You can either post your comment or email me at Punkdissertation@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks

I'n not an expert on the genre, maybe somebody else will have more to add, but I think Punk was, for the time, one of the biggest musical revolutions. It had been over 20 years since rock had come out by the time it started exploding in the UK punk club scene. In a weird way, I think it influenced some heavy metal bands like Metallica, since their structure was more based on the chords of punk as opposed to the blues (which was the foundation for most rock).

There's been a few different punk popularity periods, though:

Old school UK punk: 1976-'82
Pop/punk: 1994-2001
Emo: 2002+ (that's essentially just the modern form of commercial pop/punk)

Written By: bj26 on 09/29/06 at 9:20 am

I suggest you read up and listen to the Ramones, as they popularized punk rock. Research CBGBs and other similar clubs around the country and the groups that played them. Find out who came up with the name itself, 'punk rock.' Then read 12 Days on the Road with the Sex Pistols' which imo is an analogy of the death of punk, at least that's what I got out of the book.

Punk was a subculture that was abused and mistreated - it was a short-lived movement pretty much doomed from the start. The resurgence in its popularity over the years is interesting, but at the time, and I was there, it wasn't pupular in a large sense, just a tiny sub-culture. 

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/30/06 at 8:25 am

Oi !  I read this the first time as "How has .... and Barney Rubble influenced the graphic material of today?"  :o

Written By: fishryc on 09/30/06 at 6:00 pm

I suggest you read up and listen to the Ramones, as they popularized punk rock. Research CBGBs and other similar clubs around the country and the groups that played them. Find out who came up with the name itself, 'punk rock.' Then read 12 Days on the Road with the Sex Pistols' which imo is an analogy of the death of punk, at least that's what I got out of the book.

Punk was a subculture that was abused and mistreated - it was a short-lived movement pretty much doomed from the start. The resurgence in its popularity over the years is interesting, but at the time, and I was there, it wasn't pupular in a large sense, just a tiny sub-culture. 

Ramones, one of my favorites were pioneers since they, (in the genre of over amplified, over mixed 16 track recordings, stadium filling YES, WHO, post Crimson, and other theatrical rockers) stripped ROCK AND ROLL back down to it's bare bones. Three power chord, two to three minute songs that rocked your socks off.
I was a high schooler when they hit the scene and it was truly the proverbial "Breath Of Fresh Air".
Rock and roll roots revisited..............................

Many do not realize that the British Punk Invasion of the late 1970's was started / inspired by Ramones in 1974 and carried across the Big Pond.

Ramones influenced by who?  My personal favorite pioneers: Stooges featuring the undeniable genus of IGGY POP, and MC5......................

Written By: bj26 on 10/03/06 at 7:41 am

Ramones, one of my favorites were pioneers since they, (in the genre of over amplified, over mixed 16 track recordings, stadium filling YES, WHO, post Crimson, and other theatrical rockers) stripped ROCK AND ROLL back down to it's bare bones. Three power chord, two to three minute songs that rocked your socks off.
I was a high schooler when they hit the scene and it was truly the proverbial "Breath Of Fresh Air".
Rock and roll roots revisited..............................

Many do not realize that the British Punk Invasion of the late 1970's was started / inspired by Ramones in 1974 and carried across the Big Pond.

Ramones influenced by who?  My personal favorite pioneers: Stooges featuring the undeniable genus of IGGY POP, and MC5......................
Great info.  I think what was called punk rock evolved from a post war period (Vietnam war), and some kids picked up on the military chic. They were mostly lower class kids, delinquents, rockin rollers, normal teens, many of whom made up the military.  Anyway, the punk rock groups seemed a little harder, louder, raw and violent.  Finally, the media recognized that punk rockers would make ideal villians and bad guys. Movies, tv, mags, etc. starting using the look and music to represent violence and crime, hence, that contributed to the demise of punk in the 70s.  New Wave was created a few years later capitalizing on the punk genre and now trying to sell it to the masses as an encouraged alternative to the establishment.

Written By: KKay on 10/03/06 at 8:04 am

there was no punk after 1981.

Written By: bj26 on 10/03/06 at 8:57 am

there was no punk after 1981.

A few of us were/are still around, but the movement became kind of subdued and ignored after the late 70s. There were still plenty of punk style groups and kids who fancied themselves as punk rockers through the decades and still do.

Written By: KKay on 10/03/06 at 8:59 am

There were still plenty of punk style groups and kids who fancied themselves as punk rockers through the decades and still do.

that's the truth...it's on the inside where it counts :)

Written By: AstronautXKid on 10/07/06 at 12:58 am

Emo music is dead now.

My Chemical Romance, As I Lay Dying - None of that is Emo, that is pop with a twist. The proper "Emo" music was Rites Of Spring, Gray Matter, Moss Icon. Small bands of the early 1980's that were mainly regional around the DC scene. MCR and all of the new songs/bands/artists that are generically labelled it are nothing more then pop music gone wrong.

And the same thing is going to happen to most mediocre, small lesser-known genres. MTV picks them up, spins them around and what you get is edited pop music that ten year old girls want to talk about at recess. Punk I think was asethetically pleasing because of it's alternative anti-establishment side. It was the true teen insecurity/angst culture. The rebellious stage. Now it is just an everyday thing that you dress up in because of the bandwagon affect, you see ten people wearing it and you pick up the fad.

It's lasted so long because of the music, it was appealing to teenagers of the 80's. And those teenagers are adults now, the music was most likely passed down to the children. And also Punk is becoming more familiar with MTV or modern music. Despite what they may label as Punk, more then half the time a band labelled Punk is Alternative Pop. Punk is alternative and if a band sounds alternative, "let's label it Punk."

Despite what MTV may have someone believe, they're never right.

In my opinion, at least.  ;D

Written By: Banks on 10/08/06 at 8:40 am

I realise that this is off topic (kinda) but, when I was 8 I LOVED I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones. Imagine the look on my teachers faces as I walked around my year 2 clasroom singing,"Twenty twenty twenty twenty four hours to go...I wanna be sedated!!!"

I think punk, true punk, died out when it became popular...You cant have a sub culture when it becomes part of the main stream. Its popularity is what killed it. Bands like Blondie (whome Ive never thought of as being punk, even back then) eventually led punk into the new wave cross over.

Oh, and there is a DVD about the Ramones and their rise through the industry. Its a very good documentary, but I cant remember its name for the life of me. It could possibly be titled "The Ramones" but I seem to remember a longer title than that.

AN

Written By: ralfy on 08/17/16 at 11:39 am

"37 pictures showing what punk Britain was really like"

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/37-pictures-what-punk-britain-was-really-like

Written By: 2001 on 08/17/16 at 2:45 pm

An interesting thread bump ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...