inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just a question, what decade this was set in.

Written By: AstronautXKid on 10/05/06 at 8:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQi8wEHMm5Y

That video is the video clip from the modern song "Forever Young" by "Youth Group."

I wanted to know when abouts the video clip was set, I have been told the 70's by most people. Hence the reason for posting it in this forum.

And also the skateboards in which they were riding, I was told "Mono Skateboard", is this right?

So I just wanted verification.

It may be hard, this was in Australia years ago and so what they were like may have been differant to what people from say America were wearing or doing at the time, but I'm pretty sure someone could pin point a rough time the video was set in?

Thanks in advance.  ;)

Subject: Re: Just a question, what decade this was set in.

Written By: joedeertae on 10/05/06 at 9:10 pm

The song itself was originally done by German group Alphaville in 82-83ish.
Which would lead me to guess that they were going for that decade.

here is the Alphaville video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGOgouhn8oU

not really what you were looking for I know but I hope it helps some.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/06/06 at 5:29 pm

I wanted to know when abouts the video clip was set, I have been told the 70's by most people. Hence the reason for posting it in this forum.

And also the skateboards in which they were riding, I was told "Mono Skateboard", is this right?

The film footage in the video probably dates from around 1975-1977.  This is when the more modern eurathane wheel came out, and revitalized the sport.

Other things that give it away is the shape of the boards, and the fact that at least one was wooden.  Also the trucks are more like those of roller skates of the era, and not the more specialized ones used today.  If the film was made earlier, you would not have seen the plastic injected style boards that you predominantly see in the film.  If it was older, you would not have seen any of the wood style boards, since the "hot" thing of the era was to have a board made of either plastic or acrylic.  Also if it was older they would have been useing clay wheels, and not urathane.

And finally, the hair and clothes are another giveaway.  I would guess it is between 1975-1977, more likely in 1975-1976.  Pullover sweaters worn over shirts (especially plaid shirts), boys in shirts with wide stripes, and the predominant style of long feathered hair also help to date it.

Written By: Banks on 10/07/06 at 7:06 am

Its DEFINATELY from the 1970's. It was filmed by a news crew who were doing a report on the 'new' craze of skateboarding. It was in 1975. I know this as that exact footage appeared in on the very first episode of 'What A Year', which detailed 1975.

For those who dont live in Australia, 'What A Year' is a one hour TV weekly show which details the events, fashions, and culture of a particular year each episode. It airs on the Nine Network at 8:30pm on Monday nights. Its first episode aired Monday the 1st of October 2006.

AN

Written By: AstronautXKid on 10/07/06 at 8:24 am

Thanks everyone.

And Alright_Now, gee I live in Australia and haven't heard about the show yet but thanks for pointing it out. Have something to look forward to about Monday now, hahah. Do they present the shows in order of each years? If so which year is next week, I just hope they haven't finished with the 70's yet. Lol.

Again, appreciate the help everyone. :)

Written By: Mushroom on 10/07/06 at 11:43 am

Its DEFINATELY from the 1970's. It was filmed by a news crew who were doing a report on the 'new' craze of skateboarding. It was in 1975. I know this as that exact footage appeared in on the very first episode of 'What A Year', which detailed 1975.

I do not live in Australia, and have never heard of that show.  But I guess I picked pretty dead-on never the less.

I myself got into the "skateboard craze" in 1976, and I relied on my memories of the era to help pcik the year from the clues I was able to see.

Written By: Banks on 10/07/06 at 11:45 pm

'And Alright_Now, gee I live in Australia and haven't heard about the show yet but thanks for pointing it out. Have something to look forward to about Monday now, hahah. Do they present the shows in order of each years? If so which year is next week, I just hope they haven't finished with the 70's yet. Lol.'

Unfortunately the years dont go in order. The commercials for this Monday's show have been played but Ive been missing them, so dont know what year will be detailed next.

The first episode detailed the politics (the Gough Witlam dismissal especially), the invasion of East Timor by Indonesia, fashions, music, movies, TV shows, The Derwent Bridge Disaster, Australian TV changing to colour and even played some old commercials that aired that year. They also interview people who were featured in the 1978 footage.

Its an excellent show. I taped the first episode and will be taping them from now on as well.

'I do not live in Australia, and have never heard of that show.  But I guess I picked pretty dead-on never the less.

I myself got into the "skateboard craze" in 1976, and I relied on my memories of the era to help pcik the year from the clues I was able to see.'

Yep, you hit the nail on the head perfectly.

AN

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/14/07 at 10:10 am

We have a show here called Where Are The Now and they recently did a story on all the skateboarding boys in this filmclip. So I thought I would share it with you.

http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/wherearetheynow/472/the-forever-young-boys?page=1#comments

Check for new replies or respond here...