inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mahogany Rush

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/20/06 at 1:28 am

The other night I was hanging out with this guy from work who's in his late 40's, and we were talking about classic rock bands, and he was telling me about this 70's band called Mahogany Rush. I told him I'd never heard of them and he said they were really kickass. I'm guessing that they're one of those bands that had one or two songs that they'd play on classic rock stations once in a blue moon and I never could quite place it. Needless to say, I'm quite intrigued and was wondering if anyone here knows anything about them.

Subject: Re: Mahogany Rush

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/06 at 1:38 am

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush are a Canadian band.  They never reached the American mainstream, but did achieve a cult following.  In Canada, their biggest hit was in 1974 called "A New Rock and Roll"

http://www.canadianbands.com/Mahogany%20Rush.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/06 at 1:08 pm

The name sounds so familar. I'm sure I have heard them sometime.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 10/20/06 at 3:24 pm

Funny I should see this thread, coming home from work I was cranking "Electric Reflections Of War"
from Frank Marino And Mahogany Rush Live. Great song, great band. Frank Marino is always at the top
of my best guitarist list.

Written By: Lindee on 10/21/06 at 7:20 pm

I remember they did a cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze". I don't remember what year. I'm guessing it probably was the late 70s.

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/06 at 7:21 pm

I remember they did a cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze". I don't remember what year. I'm guessing it probably was the late 70s.

That was on their 1978 "Live" album :)

Written By: loki 13 on 10/21/06 at 8:36 pm

That was on their 1978 "Live" album :)

They also did one of the best covers of Johnny B. Goode on this album. Mahogany Rush's version
is one of those rare instances where the cover is better than the original.

Written By: oneno on 10/27/06 at 8:50 am

I remember in his bio supposedly the night Hendrix died Frank woke up grabbed a guitar and realized he had Jimmy's talent or at least so it goes. They were both "Stun" guitarists although as good as Frank is he's a pale comparison (no pun intended). I think I have 5 or 6 cd's by Frank and my favorite was always IV especialy "Dragonfly"

Written By: Michael Crudden on 09/16/11 at 7:55 am

I remember in his bio supposedly the night Hendrix died Frank woke up grabbed a guitar and realized he had Jimmy's talent or at least so it goes. They were both "Stun" guitarists although as good as Frank is he's a pale comparison (no pun intended). I think I have 5 or 6 cd's by Frank and my favorite was always IV especialy "Dragonfly"
What bio???Marino,who taught himself guitar as therapy in hospital years BEFORE Jimi(NOT"Jimmy")died,has always protested about the falsity of these inane myths.He also expressed dismay that his management did little or nothing to dispel them either,claiming they had blighted his career;mind you,he hardly helped his cause by playing almost whole concerts comprised of Hendrix covers-even after releasing three albums.Btw,the version of JOHNNY B.GOODE on LIVE is inferior to the one on CALIFORNIA JAM 2,though much easier to find.It could so easily have made it to the DRAGONFLY anthology,even in abridged form...

Written By: King Tut on 09/16/11 at 7:47 pm

I do remember Mahogany Rush, another good Canadian band.

Written By: Claybricks on 01/10/12 at 7:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjGGQDV038I

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Dragonfly {1976}

Dan

Written By: nally on 03/28/18 at 11:33 pm

I had actually never heard of this band until just a few minutes ago. I spotted an entry on Amiright for it, so naturally I decided to google the name. Sure enough, it's a rock band from Canada. I don't know any of their music though. :-\\

Coincidentally, I just spotted a guest viewing this thread.

Written By: Dude111 on 03/30/18 at 3:03 pm

I have 1 of thier records and they kick!!!!!! (The guy singing sounds like deep purple)

Ah man!! (I think I have thier 1976 album)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/31/18 at 2:04 pm

Damn. Not to be a downer or anything but seeing this thread bums me out a little.

The guy who I mentioned, who told me about Mahogany Rush, committed suicide in 2009.

We weren't super close but I considered him to be a friend.

Dammit Ed.  :(

Written By: Howard on 03/31/18 at 2:48 pm

Damn. Not to be a downer or anything but seeing this thread bums me out a little.

The guy who I mentioned, who told me about Mahogany Rush, committed suicide in 2009.

We weren't super close but I considered him to be a friend.

Dammit Ed.  :(

Sorry to hear about that Al. :(

Written By: Dude111 on 04/02/18 at 1:37 am

Wow thats sad to hear :(

Im sorry Al!

Check for new replies or respond here...