inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm new!! Anyone remember Buster Brown shoes and the Goose with the Golden Egg?

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 11/03/06 at 9:12 pm

In the late 60's I remember hitting the "mall" in the Bay area and getting a Golden Egg from a goose when we bought a pair of Buster Brown shoes. I can't for the life of me remember what the prizes were, I think they came out when you pulled the Goose's neck forward!!!
Another flashback were PF Flyers, EVERYONE had to own a pair if you were cool, if not,,  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/square/snooze.gif

Subject: Re: I'm new!! Anyone remember Buster Brown shoes and the Goose with the Golden Egg?

Written By: hot_wax on 11/03/06 at 10:43 pm

I don't remember any golden goose thing, when I kid my mom took us to a shoe store on Ferry Street in Newark and bought us kids Buster Brown shoes, and to see if they fit correctly, they stuck our feet into box with an X-ray machine in it and check if the shoe fit right... would you beleive it?, having your feet subjected to X-Rays, who knows what it did to the rest of you. I think they outlawed those  machines when the health inspectors noticed all their Buster Brown sales clerks hair would be falling out and they glowed at night.

Yes, a pair of PF Flyers were cool but I liked Keds too.

PS...the only way my mom could get me to wear those Buster Brown clogs was because of his dog Tag (Tieg?).

Subject: Re: I'm new!! Anyone remember Buster Brown shoes and the Goose with the Golden Egg?

Written By: Fafner on 11/05/06 at 8:37 pm

I think the dog's name was "Tige". I definitely remember Buster Brown Shoes, but in Chicago in the early '60s we had a brand called "Red Goose" shoes - those are the ones I associate with the Golden Egg. Their slogan was "Half the fun of having feet is Red Goose shoes".

Sneaker-wise, I was a "Keds" kid - canvas high-tops. Problem was, they were so soft and pliable that you really couldn't attach your roller skates to them - and if you turned the skate key too hard it tore the sole from the rest of the shoe.

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 11/05/06 at 11:21 pm

I think the dog's name was "Tige". I definitely remember Buster Brown Shoes, but in Chicago in the early '60s we had a brand called "Red Goose" shoes - those are the ones I associate with the Golden Egg. Their slogan was "Half the fun of having feet is Red Goose shoes".

Sneaker-wise, I was a "Keds" kid - canvas high-tops. Problem was, they were so soft and pliable that you really couldn't attach your roller skates to them - and if you turned the skate key too hard it tore the sole from the rest of the shoe.
[/quoteYou are right, it was Red Goose Shoes!!!

Written By: MidTennHitman on 11/09/06 at 8:19 am

Yeah I remember the golden egg and begged my mom to go there whenever we were gonna get new shoes.........but it didnt happen often, I guess the store (Family Booterie, I think it was) was more expensive than other outlets without the "golden egg".  I also cannot remember a single prize so they must have not been stellar.  In all actualities, probably along the lines of a Cracker Jack prize or so

Subject: Re: I'm new!! Anyone remember Buster Brown shoes and the Goose with the Golden E

Written By: Capt Quirk on 11/20/06 at 6:10 pm

I don't remember any golden goose thing, when I kid my mom took us to a shoe store on Ferry Street in Newark and bought us kids Buster Brown shoes, and to see if they fit correctly, they stuck our feet into box with an X-ray machine in it and check if the shoe fit right... would you beleive it?, having your feet subjected to X-Rays, who knows what it did to the rest of you. I think they outlawed those  machines when the health inspectors noticed all their Buster Brown sales clerks hair would be falling out and they glowed at night.

Yes, a pair of PF Flyers were cool but I liked Keds too.

PS...the only way my mom could get me to wear those Buster Brown clogs was because of his dog Tag (Tieg?).

Thank you! I was trying to remember his dog's name the other day. But yes, I seem to remember a goose and eggs too.

Written By: star80 on 01/22/07 at 1:10 pm

Thanks  everybody for sharing all the good memories here.  Yes, I do remember the buster brown shoes :)

Written By: Judy on 07/06/09 at 4:21 pm

In the late 60's I remember hitting the "mall" in the Bay area and getting a Golden Egg from a goose when we bought a pair of Buster Brown shoes. I can't for the life of me remember what the prizes were, I think they came out when you pulled the Goose's neck forward!!!
Another flashback were PF Flyers, EVERYONE had to own a pair if you were cool, if not,,  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/square/snooze.gif

The goose with the golden egg was red goose shoes. Jingle, half the fun of having feet is Red Goose Shoes.

Check for new replies or respond here...