inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Monty Python - Dean Martin connection

Written By: Fafner on 11/05/06 at 8:04 pm

I'm hoping that someone can confirm this for me. I'm pretty sure that the first time I ever saw Monty Python's Flying Circus  was on a Dean Martin summer replacement show, almost certainly in 1974. I think the program was The Golddiggers. It wasn't a live performance, just clips from the BBC series including the Dead Parrot Sketch and Buying A Bed. I've mentioned it to many people over the years, but no one seems to recall - for most, the first exposure to Python came when PBS started running the series, which I believe was in 1975. Does anyone else remember seeing them on Golddiggers?

Subject: Re: Monty Python - Dean Martin connection

Written By: MidTennHitman on 11/09/06 at 8:21 am

I remember the Python boys on PBS in the mid 70s but never remembered seeing them on Dean Martin or the Goldiggers (and my dad watched both) and when Dad was home, he ruled the TV

Written By: hot_wax on 11/09/06 at 6:53 pm

I'm hoping that someone can confirm this for me. I'm pretty sure that the first time I ever saw Monty Python's Flying Circus  was on a Dean Martin summer replacement show, almost certainly in 1974. I think the program was The Golddiggers. It wasn't a live performance, just clips from the BBC series including the Dead Parrot Sketch and Buying A Bed. I've mentioned it to many people over the years, but no one seems to recall - for most, the first exposure to Python came when PBS started running the series, which I believe was in 1975. Does anyone else remember seeing them on Golddiggers?

Not really, when I got see the Golddiggers Show that's all I remembered was those hot babes GoGo dancing, I think, on NBC channel 4 NYC area during a week night and Monty Python was on PBS channel 13 on Sunday nights, I think 74 or 75' and they were and still are best ever comedy group of all time...pure genius. 

Written By: oneno on 11/14/06 at 10:48 am

From answers.com
The Dean Martin Comedy World
Created by legendary crooner Dean Martin and his producer Greg Garrison, Dean Martin's Comedy World traveled around the world to find new comedy acts and show them on the air.
British comedy troupe Monty Python had its first primetime appearance on United States television on this show, with clips from several sketches and Terry Gilliam animations used. (It was Garrison's purchase of the rights to air Python clips that paid for the conversion of the BBC series from PAL to NTSC, which allowed "Monty Python's Flying Circus" to be sold to PBS later that year.) These clips did have to pass muster with American network censors, and so in the "Dull Life of a City Stockbroker" sketch the topless news agent was cut out.

The show was hosted by Jackie Cooper, Nipsey Russell and Barbara Feldon. Notable among those who appeared was the debut television performance by comedy legend Andy Kaufman

Written By: hot_wax on 11/15/06 at 1:44 am

From answers.com
The Dean Martin Comedy World
Created by legendary crooner Dean Martin and his producer Greg Garrison, Dean Martin's Comedy World traveled around the world to find new comedy acts and show them on the air.
British comedy troupe Monty Python had its first primetime appearance on United States television on this show, with clips from several sketches and Terry Gilliam animations used. (It was Garrison's purchase of the rights to air Python clips that paid for the conversion of the BBC series from PAL to NTSC, which allowed "Monty Python's Flying Circus" to be sold to PBS later that year.) These clips did have to pass muster with American network censors, and so in the "Dull Life of a City Stockbroker" sketch the topless news agent was cut out.

The show was hosted by Jackie Cooper, Nipsey Russell and Barbara Feldon. Notable among those who appeared was the debut television performance by comedy legend Andy Kaufman

Good job, I like the whole story.

Written By: Fafner on 11/21/06 at 6:39 pm

Thanks for the help. It's good to know after all these years that I didn't imagine it, even if I did confuse "Comedy World" with "Golddiggers".

I was a teenager at the time and happened to be home alone watching TV when the Pythons appeared. Those clips were the funniest things I'd ever seen. I tried to explain the sketches to my mom and sister, but I couldn't do them justice. On top of that, I couldn't remember the name of the act!

Later, when "Monty Python's Flying Circus" premiered on PBS, my mom watched it - she'd been a big fan of British comedy since the old "Carry On" movies. She told me about the show (she was as blown away as I had been) and  I was sure that it was the same group I'd seen earlier. When I started watching Python and saw the same sketches that I'd seen on "Comedy World" it was confirmed for me - but it's taken thirty plus years to prove.

Check for new replies or respond here...