inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MST3k 70s movies

Written By: Tia on 11/14/06 at 1:02 pm

These are all movies from the 70s that at one time or another became fodder for mystery science theater 3000, the t.v. show where puppets make fun of bad movies.

anybody see any of them, either on mst3k or in their unaltered form? any movies you think were actually pretty good, and got a bad rap?

Subject: Re: MST3k 70s movies

Written By: Tia on 11/14/06 at 5:38 pm

turns out i've seen all but two.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/06 at 6:20 pm

I've seen 1-A Touch of Satan. It had the infamous line "This is where the fishes live".

Cat

Written By: Tia on 11/14/06 at 6:31 pm

I've seen 1-A Touch of Satan. It had the infamous line "This is where the fishes live".

Cat
did you see the mst3k version? "this is where my tongue lives." i think that's one of the ten funniest mst3k jokes ever.

that movie is so... relaxing! nothing whatsoever happens in it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/14/06 at 6:33 pm

did you see the mst3k version? "this is where my tongue lives." i think that's one of the ten funniest mst3k jokes ever.

that movie is so... relaxing! nothing whatsoever happens in it.

Yeah, I saw it on MST3K. I think I was busy laughing at the line in the movie to hear the line that Mike, Tom or Crow said.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 11/14/06 at 6:37 pm

Yeah, I saw it on MST3K. I think I was busy laughing at the line in the movie to hear the line that Mike, Tom or Crow said.

Cat
"i wanted to fly but i couldn't, so i ran."

"you're kind of an idiot, aren't you?"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/06 at 1:10 pm

"i wanted to fly but i couldn't, so i ran."

"you're kind of an idiot, aren't you?"

I really don't remember anything about the movie except, "This is where the fishes live". It just wasn't quite "memorable".  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tia on 11/15/06 at 1:20 pm

too bad you didn't see the incredible melting man. it's quite... disgusting. but eventful!
I really don't remember anything about the movie except, "This is where the fishes live". It just wasn't quite "memorable".  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/06 at 12:09 pm

It's not a 70s movie ('65 to be exact) but we just recently watched Red Zone Cuba from MST3K (we rented it from Netflix). I have to say, it was probably the WORST of all the bad films I have seen-THERE WAS NO PLOT!! (at least none we could figure out). And yeah, Mike, Tom & Crow had us laughing our @$$es off.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 11/19/06 at 2:36 pm

It's not a 70s movie ('65 to be exact) but we just recently watched Red Zone Cuba from MST3K (we rented it from Netflix). I have to say, it was probably the WORST of all the bad films I have seen-THERE WAS NO PLOT!! (at least none we could figure out). And yeah, Mike, Tom & Crow had us laughing our @$$es off.

Cat
there's an article in a book called "smiling through the apocalypse," about the sixties, and one of the articles is an interview with one of the soldiers who fought at the bay of pigs and i'll be damned if it wasn't pretty much "red zone cuba" from beginning to end! enticing felons and mercenaries to enlist, the problems with getting paid, the getting left on the beach, the getting captured, the serial executions. red zone cuba might be awful, but it's amazingly historically accurate! :o

that same director also did "skydivers" and "the beast of yucca flats," which were also mistied. beast of yucca flats might actually be WORSE than rzc, if you can believe it. one thing about coleman: he was trying quite desperately to make art. failing miserably, but trying like the dickens.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/06 at 3:06 pm

there's an article in a book called "smiling through the apocalypse," about the sixties, and one of the articles is an interview with one of the soldiers who fought at the bay of pigs and i'll be damned if it wasn't pretty much "red zone cuba" from beginning to end! enticing felons and mercenaries to enlist, the problems with getting paid, the getting left on the beach, the getting captured, the serial executions. red zone cuba might be awful, but it's amazingly historically accurate! :o

According to Carlos (the Latin American historian), no prisoners were excuted (by the state-but he doesn't know by troops acting on their own) during the Bay of Pigs. But, one thing the film was not accurate on-that only 10 people invaded Cuba.  :D ;D ;D ;D

that same director also did "skydivers" and "the beast of yucca flats," which were also mistied. beast of yucca flats might actually be WORSE than rzc, if you can believe it. one thing about coleman: he was trying quite desperately to make art. failing miserably, but trying like the dickens.

WORSE THAN RZC??  :o :o :o  I'm not too sure if I want see that or not. It depends on how much I am a glutton for punishment.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Tia on 11/19/06 at 3:35 pm

According to Carlos (the Latin American historian), no prisoners were excuted (by the state-but he doesn't know by troops acting on their own) during the Bay of Pigs. But, one thing the film was not accurate on-that only 10 people invaded Cuba.  :D ;D ;D ;D

WORSE THAN RZC??  :o :o :o  I'm not too sure if I want see that or not. It depends on how much I am a glutton for punishment.  :D ;D ;D

hmm, i'd have to read the article again. i think it might have been the prison experience that was accurate, not the executions -- but i haven't seen it in a while. i think it speaks to the skills of the joke writers that the execution scenes, which i'm sure are grueling in the original, are totally funny in the mst3k version. "oh, shot in the face! how nice!"

beast of yucca flats is a hot one. i keep hoping they'll put that one out commercially. but i don't think they have yet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/06 at 3:39 pm

I just put MST3K: I Accuse My Parents on our queue at Netflix. It is postition # 9 so it will be a while before we get it. I think by that time we might have recooperated from watching RZC.  :D :D

Cat

Written By: Tia on 11/19/06 at 3:45 pm

I just put MST3K: I Accuse My Parents on our queue at Netflix. It is postition # 9 so it will be a while before we get it. I think by that time we might have recooperated from watching RZC.  :D :D

Cat
i accuse my parents has some of my favorite music ever in it. i used to do a variation of "are you happy in your work" on guitar and solo vocal, but i've forgotten the chord changes. it's a hot one!

Written By: KKay on 01/26/07 at 8:29 am

Mitchell is by far the best they ever made. It's pure gold. They found the absolutelbest of the worst and made their own little gem.

^I accuse my parents is another great one. I actually had that film before I saw them do it.  Gold, I tell ya, gold!

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 8:33 am

Mitchell is by far the best they ever made. It's pure gold. They found the absolutelbest of the worst and made their own little gem.

^I accuse my parents is another great one. I actually had that film before I saw them do it.  Gold, I tell ya, gold!
pig in a blanket hair girl gets a bad rap. i actually like the music in that, you know, are you happy in your work and all that. she ended up doing some famous song, that chick, i think for another movie or something.

Written By: KKay on 01/26/07 at 8:49 am

WAit!  you reminded me of anther great one...the girl hitches a ride with the rebel songwriter and they get jobs at this gin joint. he writes songs for the band that plays for the dancing girls (oh, the days that those jobs existed!) she becomes lead dancer and the boss gets her hooked on some sheeshe and then rebel songwriter fights him....

Great songs in that one too.  But the best part was the dancing.  I lvoe when women perform in leotards and those panty hose that have the double-weave thigh part showing...with ballet slippers.
so cool.

now I know what i have to do with my life.

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 8:52 am

girl in gold boots, by, i think it's VJ nikels? i forget the dude's name, he also brought us "the human mutilators."

weirdly, i liked the leotard and oven-mitt bikini action too! possibly on a different level, though. i was sorta into it, then really into it, then really, really, REALLY into it, then... not that into it anymore.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/02/07 at 11:16 am

The only one of these I've seen is Squirm. Pretty cheesy movie for the most part, but when they showed the extreme close-up of the worms' mouths opening and their pincers coming out it kinda freaked me out.

I don't know if you saw the most recent King Kong remake, but that scene where the cook gets chomped by those giant worms kinda freaked me out too, and I can't help but wonder if that scene was inspired by Squirm.

Written By: Tia on 02/02/07 at 11:20 am

dude! that scene from king kong, which otherwise i thought was a crap movie, TOTALLY messed with my mind. it actually literally gave me a nightmare about praying mantises. i told my folks, i bet i have a nightmare tonight. and i did.

that scene was NOT. OKAY. after i saw that f**king piece of f**king g*****mn s**t i couldn't make my f**king g********nn mind work for a week. ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/03/07 at 12:29 am

dude! that scene from king kong, which otherwise i thought was a crap movie, TOTALLY messed with my mind. it actually literally gave me a nightmare about praying mantises. i told my folks, i bet i have a nightmare tonight. and i did.

that scene was NOT. OKAY. after i saw that f**king piece of f**king g*****mn s**t i couldn't make my f**king g********nn mind work for a week. ;)
Wow, so I'm not the only one who got freaked out by that.  ;)

I remember sitting there in the theater (I went by myself), and as soon as those worms popped out of the swamp I immediately gripped the armrests of my seat and said to myself, "Oh f*ck..."

I didn't have any nightmares, for some reason I've gained the ability to delete sh*t like that from my mind, but still I really didn't need to see that.  On the other hand, I thought the scene where King Kong was fighting off like 2 or 3 dinosaurs was pretty cool, it looked like he was doing a lot of pro wrestling moves and it was a neat way to establish him as kind of the alpha male of the jungle.

Wanna go to Skull Island?  :D

Written By: KKay on 02/03/07 at 9:08 am

I agree. ew. ew.ew.ew.
now I have yet another wierd fear the torment me.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/04/07 at 12:36 am

I agree. ew. ew.ew.ew.
now I have yet another wierd fear the torment me.

You gotta admit though, it IS pretty amazing what they can do with CGI these days...

Plus, Peter Jackson is a pretty twisted sonofabitch. Whenever his name is mentioned everyone immediately thinks of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, but back in the 80's he made some of the most f***ed up (yet funny) movies I've ever seen.

You have Netflix? Check out "Bad Taste" or "Meet The Feebles" and you'll see what I mean.  ;)

Written By: Tia on 02/04/07 at 12:48 am

bad taste is SO hard rock. i'm fully 100-percent compliant with the old-school peter jackson. that's part of the reason why i was so delighted to see him make good in the mainstream, and then so sad at what he did with it.

but that's part of the reason i have to admit to admiring the bug scene in king kong. i think it was probably at least in part an homage to his roots, that was pete saying, you might think i'm a sellout but i still know how to go... WAY... WAY... too far. and now i have the resources to REALLY mess you up with it.

Check for new replies or respond here...