inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: interested

Written By: monique.jcLuver2101 on 11/15/06 at 11:27 am

k, i 'm really interested in the 70s,i just really new to this, so like can someone give the dirt of the 70s.....????  :) email: monique.bookworm2101

Subject: Re: interested

Written By: Tia on 11/15/06 at 11:34 am

could you be more specific? it's a big decade.

although for the 70s in its essence, refer to the red pantsuit and enormously oversize collar in my avatar. also the shaggy-haired boys and eye-damaging wallpaper pattern in the background. all quite quintessentially 70s, the only thing missing is a lava lamp and pet rocks.

Written By: Paul on 11/15/06 at 2:57 pm

could you be more specific? it's a big decade.

At least ten years by my reckoning!

Downsides...school, fashion, energy crisis, joining the Common Market...

Upside...at least the music was great!

70s music kicks the 80s' collective backside hard!

Written By: monique.jcLuver2101 on 11/15/06 at 2:58 pm

8) 8) ;) ;) i mean like, u know everthin to ythe music to the fashion, to the culture, to the hotties, ( i'm a girl) everythin any body knows abotu the 70,s....u can like atach a articale or somethin...u can e-mail me at monique.bookworm2101@gmail.com 8) 8) ;) ;)

Written By: Paul on 11/15/06 at 3:11 pm

To nearly quote Julie Andrews, here's a very good place to start...

Now, whack on a K-Tel LP and away you go!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/15/06 at 3:25 pm

70s music kicks the 80s' collective backside hard!

So, so true!!!  ;)

Written By: Banks on 11/17/06 at 2:55 am

The 1970's was a great time. Personally I think it was the BEST decade in history. Of course, I could be looking at them through the eyes of a child, which I was back then.

Anyway, below is a good link to an excellent site:

http://groups.msn.com/The1970s

Hope this helps a little. I think its still under construction, but theres a lot of stuff in that site.

AN

Written By: monique on 11/17/06 at 7:37 am

thankx u guyz,..the site's u linked really helped...if any of u chat up with me..or anythin.. ( we'll talk about the 70s) heres my e-mail: monique.bookworm2101@gmail.com

Written By: Mushroom on 11/17/06 at 9:07 am

The music was great?  I guess, only if you were stoned during the Disco era.  ::)

Written By: Banks on 11/18/06 at 2:19 am

'The music was great?  I guess, only if you were stoned during the Disco era.'

I think Disco had some great music. While I may not like specific songs, I like all the various styles 70's music. For example I like Punk but dont really like God Kill The Queen. I like Disco, but dont really like Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel.

Disco had some awsome tunes. Sure, it had some duds, but all musical styles have had their fair share of dudds.

AN

Written By: Mushroom on 11/18/06 at 11:16 am

I think Disco had some great music. While I may not like specific songs, I like all the various styles 70's music. For example I like Punk but dont really like God Kill The Queen. I like Disco, but dont really like Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel.

Disco had some awsome tunes. Sure, it had some duds, but all musical styles have had their fair share of dudds.

Disco for the most part sucked.  Basically, it is what you get when a bunch of white people try to do Funk.

You get 200 groups, who all sound alike.  They sing the same songs, to the same beat, with the same whiny voice.  And since none of them really had orchestras and large bands, they used tons of synths to make up for it.

Written By: crazyneighbor on 01/16/07 at 6:07 pm

:)It was FUN. That's everything rolled up into 1 word....FUN.

Written By: Tia on 01/17/07 at 3:23 pm

yeah, fun. true.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/17/07 at 11:25 pm

Many things were very different than today.

Record players (If you had an expensive one, then it was called a turn table)

8-track players (You needed a rolled up piece of cardboard, or a butter knife jimmied into the slot to stop the music from dragging)

Rotary dial phones (Redial?....what the %$#@ is redial)

Pet rocks (The name says it all. People actually paid money for these. A lot of people were probably stoned back then)

Mood rings (A good warning system to let hubby know when it was time to run away from wifey)

Super slider snow skates (I had a sore rump every winter because of these)

K-Tel records (50 hits for $7.99! The only thing was, you only got about 1 and a half minutes of each song)

Bell Bottomed Jeans (There was more fabric in the legs that in any other part of these pants)

It sure was different back then.

Written By: Marian on 01/25/07 at 2:49 pm

The music was great?  I guess, only if you were stoned during the Disco era.   ::)
maybe they didn't listen to disco--or bubblegum. :D

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 9:02 am

how to play guitar in a disco song:

1. activate wahwah pedal.
2. strum root minor 7 chord.
3. repeat indefinitely.

we did a bunch of disco and "funk" in the old band and it'd make me crazy. so boring for a guitar player.

it goes over good, though. people dig disco now. not like when it was actually big, and everybody hated it. i wonder how much a vintage "disco sucks" bumper sticker would fetch on ebay.

Check for new replies or respond here...