inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old School Sesame Street

Written By: Snoopygirl on 11/21/06 at 5:16 pm

Sorry if this might of been posted already but I'm new and haven't had a chance to read all these posts. Has anyone here gotten the Old School Sesame Street DVD yet and if so what do you think of it? I just bought it and actually enjoyed it. Even tho I haven't watched it in many years, the memories came back and I found myself saying ' yea I remember that one'.
Even as a kid, I was more interested in the little cartoons than the humans and muppets except for Ernie. I had a hand puppet of him.
The cartoon I would love to see again is the one for Danger. It started off with a rooster screaming out the word followed by other things that were dangerous. I remembered being frightened by that one. I tried YouTube for that clip but they don't have it on there.  Maybe if there's another DVD of Old School, they might have in included.

Subject: Re: Old School Sesame Street

Written By: Banks on 11/24/06 at 4:05 am

Living in Australia I probably wont see the DVD for some time...But I do remember loving Seseme treet as a little kid (6 and younger). I used to love Bert and Ernie, and my fvorit was an off shoot from them and featured the Tweetle Bugs who lived in Eernie's window garden box. They drove a matchbox with buttons for wheels if I remember correctly.

AN

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/13/06 at 2:12 pm

The cartoon I would love to see again is the one for Danger. It started off with a rooster screaming out the word followed by other things that were dangerous. I remembered being frightened by that one. I tried YouTube for that clip but they don't have it on there.  Maybe if there's another DVD of Old School, they might have in included.

Remember the Spanish version? "Pel-iiii-gro!!"

I want this DVD so bad, as well as the Electric Company box set. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/06 at 7:34 pm

When did Sesame Street start to decline?  After Mr. Hooper died, perhaps?  I stopped watching it after the '70s. 

In the '80s there was a fad of Laurie Anderson fans digging Sesame Street.  It had something to do with Laurie Anderson's simple musings about words and numbers, and the pace of Anderson's performance art being reminiscent of Sesame Street. 
(though William S. Burroughs never collaborated with the Sesame Street crew, not that I know of!)

http://www.artistsnetwork.org/news15/images/news738.jpg
Laurie Anderson

http://www.obieg.pl/text/img/laurie_anderson01.jpg
Laurie Anderson, from "Home of the Brave," 1986

Not to hijack the thread...

Written By: holicman on 12/24/06 at 8:37 am

I loved the video entorage of Jethro Tull's "living in the past" being played to street lights and people walking around the park.

It wasnt the video it was about the music.

I also loved the "around the clock" song with the 2 Aliens dancing :)

Written By: KKay on 12/28/06 at 10:28 am

Big Bird called him "Mr. Looper." None of my friends remember that.

I remember the sketch they did to the song Windy...the guy was singing while his little muppet house was blowing away.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/28/06 at 2:45 pm

Big Bird called him "Mr. Looper." None of my friends remember that.
I also remember that, on more than one occasion, Big Bird called him Mr. Pooper.

Kind of makes me wonder if some of the folks at the Childrens' Television Workshop had a subversive streak in them.

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/28/06 at 4:32 pm

Sure it was subversive. Think on this...they were doing stuff on TV intended for educating children that had never been attempted before. All the crazy animation, the multi-ethnic cast, the slang, the in-jokes that only some grownups would get (which I think increased over time)---this was supposed to help children learn their ABCs and 123s?!  ;)

I don't think SS declined until the proliferation of Elmo, and the redesign of the "street".

Check for new replies or respond here...