inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember this Sat. morn cartoon?

Written By: Snoopygirl on 11/21/06 at 5:39 pm

This was on ABC in '75. It was called The Oddball Couple. It was a takeoff of the Odd Couple with a dog and a cat, named Spiffy and Fleabag. Spiffy was the cat and he was the Felix character with Fleabag as Oscar character. The thing I remember most of this one was the car they drove. One side was shiny and the other side was a piece of junk. I think it only ran one season.
This is one forgotten cartoon I would love to see again, but probably lost forever

Subject: Re: Anyone remember this Sat. morn cartoon?

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 5:58 pm

i don't remember it but there's a lot comes up when i google it.

you should check out a site called "retrojunk.com" if you haven't. they've jogged my memory about a bunch of shows i'd totally forgotten about. remember "ark ii"? sorta RV vacation of the apocalypse.

anyway, having said that their oddball couple entry is pretty lame. though from that screencap, it really does look familiar. i bet i did see it at some point. i watched LOTS of saturday morning cartoon action.

http://retrojunk.com/list_tvepisodes.php?main_id=1610

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/06 at 6:03 pm

It sounds sooooo familar. I don't recall watching it but I think I have heard of it.

Cat

Written By: whiteport on 11/21/06 at 7:10 pm

I remember it, as a matter of fact I remember watching the Friday preview with it on it, Do you guys remember the 3 big networks having their Friday previews of Staruday morning  cartoons in the fall? Man those were the days..

http://dfe.goldenagecartoons.com/images/title-cards/tv-shows/oddballcouple.jpg

Written By: wndysbg on 11/22/06 at 12:35 am

I remember it, as a matter of fact I remember watching the Friday preview with it on it, Do you guys remember the 3 big networks having their Friday previews of Staruday morning  cartoons in the fall? Man those were the days..

Yes!!!  My husband and I were just talking about that and how the Friday preview was a major event.  I remember my whole family sitting down and watching the preview show deciding which cartoons would be worth watching and which ones would not make it.  It was a tradition.  We always looked forward to that preview night. :)

Written By: Abix on 11/22/06 at 2:06 am

the car sure sounds familiar..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/06 at 1:44 pm

I remember those Friday night previews. The new shows ALWAYS looks so much better (in retrospect-most were pretty bad.  :D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: Paul on 11/22/06 at 2:56 pm

Yes, it even made it to British shores sometime during that era...

Although I don't remember much of the cartoon, the theme tune is somehow lodged in my head... :D

But I wouldn't think it's 'lost forever', as it came from the same company who made 'The Pink Panther Show' (and that gets repeated enough!)

Written By: Gis on 11/22/06 at 3:48 pm

Yes, it even made it to British shores sometime during that era...

Although I don't remember much of the cartoon, the theme tune is somehow lodged in my head... :D

But I wouldn't think it's 'lost forever', as it came from the same company who made 'The Pink Panther Show' (and that gets repeated enough!)
I remember it from the U.K too.

Written By: Banks on 11/24/06 at 4:00 am

I remember that cartoon show from around 1977-1979 here in Australia. I remember actually liking the show, but then I was only 5 - 7 years old.

hjl

Written By: Butterball on 01/13/07 at 11:15 pm

Man! I had forgot all about those previews...they were great!

Check for new replies or respond here...