inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Paper Thin Records?

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/06 at 12:01 am

It's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't think of the name.  Remember those paper thin records that were the size of 45's?  Sometimes you had to place a penny on them to get them to work, and after so many plays, the grooves would wear out and you would throw them away

Subject: Re: Paper Thin Records?

Written By: Davester on 12/01/06 at 6:11 am

All I can think of are those cereal box records - you had to cut/pull them off of the box, or something like that.  Children's stories, mainly...

I distinctly remember placing pennies on the stylus, but don't remember what for go ;)...

Written By: karen on 12/01/06 at 7:03 am

We used to call them Floppy Freebies.  You sometimes got them free with a magazine.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/01/06 at 7:11 am

You would put the penny on the arm, to keep the needle from skipping out of the extra shallow grooves. Being extremely thin presed vinyl, the grooves weren't really deep enough.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/01/06 at 8:31 am

You would put the penny on the arm, to keep the needle from skipping out of the extra shallow grooves. Being extremely thin presed vinyl, the grooves weren't really deep enough.

OMG....Capt. Quirk....huh, what? Never thought the day would come when someone else here nearly had the same name as me. ??? :o

Written By: Tia on 12/01/06 at 8:42 am

OMG....Capt. Quirk....huh, what? Never thought the day would come when someone else here nearly had the same name as me. ??? :o
every time i type my name -- er, may alias, i mean; must remember to differentiate fantasy and reality -- in the bcc line i get some "tia249312" thing.

on another message board i ran into a tia... who was also a dude. fraid i had to "take care" of him.

anyway, i totally had those paper-thin records! i can't remember any specific ones i had though, yeah, they didn't last very long.

anybody remember a particular one they had?

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/01/06 at 6:18 pm

Don't ya know? The world is full of quirks ;)

Tia- I remember the Jackson 5 having a few records on the back of cereal boxes, and I had a Casper one, Tuffy The Tooth had one out, and I'd almost swear I had a Disney Haunted Mansion one. Any others I may have had, either real or imagined, are long forgotten.

Written By: gemini on 12/01/06 at 7:46 pm

I vaguely remember having an Archies record from a cereal box. I think it was Sugar Sugar. I also remember having a quarter taped to the arm so the record wouldn't skip.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/01/06 at 8:22 pm

I vaguely remember having an Archies record from a cereal box. I think it was Sugar Sugar. I also remember having a quarter taped to the arm so the record wouldn't skip.

The more worn the record, the more change would get piled on.

Written By: Banks on 12/02/06 at 7:11 am

Ive still got some Jackson 5 ones.

I also think I have a Little Goldenbook one about a little car that gets wrecked (in a car crash) and then gets fixed up.

AN

Written By: Mushroom on 12/02/06 at 10:35 am

Those things were really big in the 1970's and early 1980's.

I know that Mad Magazine had several of them.  Most particularly, I remember the one "It's a great big beautiful wonderful incredible super spectacular day", which had 6 different endings.  The song would change, depending on which groove the song started in.

Hustler Magazine also had one that was from a then recently discovered radio recording of JFK's assassination.  It was originally thought that it recorded the sounds of several gunshots.  Of course, later accoustical cleanups revealed that the "extra shots" were all echos.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/06 at 3:47 pm

That's the one I remember from a cereal box, too. Ironic, huh? Getting the song, "Sugar, Sugar" with ALL the sugar in the cereal.  :D ;D ;D ;D

I do remember those black paper thin records, too. I can't remember what we had but I know we had a few of them.

Cat

Written By: Gidgxx on 12/03/06 at 2:05 am

I remember getting a few of them when I was kid. The one I remember the most was a record that came in a kids magazine. It was in a science magazine for kids.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 01/07/07 at 12:02 pm

I do remember those black paper thin records, too. I can't remember what we had but I know we had a few of them.

They were called Eva-Tone Soundsheets.
Up until 10 years ago, that company was still making Soundsheets. They no longer make those, but are involved in the audio & video tape/CD/DVD copying business.
They have a new innovation called the Flexplay DVD. To quote from their website (www.evatone.com):

"Users open Flexplay packaging to reveal a red disc that can be played repeatedly for 48 hours. But two days after opening, the DVD changes color from red to black becoming unreadable. Consumers can simply recycle the DVDs after use."

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/07/07 at 12:03 pm

XD I was in the middle of PMing this person one day all "Erin, wtf?! That's such a ghey name..!", before I realized that you light up in green, so it couldn't be you.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/07/07 at 7:08 pm

XD I was in the middle of PMing this person one day all "Erin, wtf?! That's such a ghey name..!", before I realized that you light up in green, so it couldn't be you.

bhahahaaa ;D :D ;D I haven't seen them online in a while.

Written By: Gis on 01/08/07 at 9:10 am

If you menat the ones that came free on the front of magazines they were called Flexi Discs in the U.K I still have a couple somewhere..........

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/10/07 at 12:47 pm

The ones that come to mind are the ones that Mad Magazine used to put into their magazines. Maybe they should've called them floppy discs . lol

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/11 at 10:20 pm

It's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't think of the name.  Remember those paper thin records that were the size of 45's?  Sometimes you had to place a penny on them to get them to work, and after so many plays, the grooves would wear out and you would throw them away

Karma to Gis; you were looking for Flexidiscs, or - according to the article - phonosheets or (Eva-tone) sonosheets.  I was unaware of the Cold War-era technique that Russians used to turn x-ray films into roentgenizdat or "bones" recordings of Western artists.

Check for new replies or respond here...