inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dining in the 70's

Written By: Slater on 12/09/06 at 9:29 am

For those of us that grew up in the 70's, remember the lack of warnings about all the different foods? Nobody really worried (or knew) about trans-fatty acids, polyunsaturated fats etc. And I don't recall very many (if any) warnings about cholesterol.

We just ate burgers, fries, and all that fried food in bliss. Gee, I'm lucky to be alive  :)

Subject: Re: Dining in the 70's

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/06 at 11:01 am

Lard (Animal Fat) used to be spread on bread and was very tasty, I would not dream of eating that now.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/09/06 at 11:37 am

It's true that we didn't have the types of warnings about foods that we have now.  But at that time, there was an awareness of foods that weren't good for us.  Cholesterol was indeed feared, if not that well understood, and I remember high criticism about sugary kids cereals that were said to be "no better than cookies" or something similar.  I believe it was the early 70's or else very late 60's that cereals started being loaded with vitamins just to appear more healthy.  I think there was concern overall about sugar, surprisingly, and the term "junk food" gained popularity then.

The 70's also seemed to have its share of "health food" fads.  Granola and Grape Nuts type cereals were considered health food.  So was yogurt.  Various juices.  Stuff like wheat germ.  That kind of stuff was what the health nuts lectured us on.

All in all, people were fairly concerned about the health of food in the 70's.  It just was different stuff that got us up in arms.

Written By: Slater on 12/09/06 at 12:14 pm

Where you lived also had something to do with it (as now, to some extent). I grew up in rural Tennessee. If there's anything healthy about Southern cooking, it's by accident  ;)

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/10/06 at 3:12 pm

You kidding? Grits is healthy... untill you add lots of butter  ::)

Written By: zcrito on 12/11/06 at 5:42 pm

It's true that we didn't have the types of warnings about foods that we have now.  But at that time, there was an awareness of foods that weren't good for us.  Cholesterol was indeed feared, if not that well understood, and I remember high criticism about sugary kids cereals that were said to be "no better than cookies" or something similar.  I believe it was the early 70's or else very late 60's that cereals started being loaded with vitamins just to appear more healthy.  I think there was concern overall about sugar, surprisingly, and the term "junk food" gained popularity then.

The 70's also seemed to have its share of "health food" fads.  Granola and Grape Nuts type cereals were considered health food.  So was yogurt.  Various juices.  Stuff like wheat germ.  That kind of stuff was what the health nuts lectured us on.

All in all, people were fairly concerned about the health of food in the 70's.  It just was different stuff that got us up in arms.

" I believe it was the early 70's or else very late 60's that cereals started being loaded with vitamins just to appear more healthy.  I think there was concern overall about sugar, surprisingly, and the term "junk food" gained popularity then".

True. I think it was around 1970 that some government agency did research on all the cereals and listed the top-100 or so based on nutritional value. When the results hit the newspapers people were shocked. Bad tasting cereals some ate because they thought they were good for them were listed at the bottom (example: Shredded Wheat) and cereals people thought had to be bad were at the top (example: Kaboom #1 !). It was the start of everyone watching and being concerned about what they eat.

http://www.cereal.com/Breakfast-Cereals/kaboom.jpg

:)

Written By: Abix on 12/11/06 at 6:56 pm

I remember my Grandpa Cooper frying up a mess of Fried Potatoes and Eggs with Bacon and then he'd strain the bacon grease from the cast iron skillet and keep it in a coffee can to use for the next batch.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/11/06 at 8:53 pm

I remember my Grandpa Cooper frying up a mess of Fried Potatoes and Eggs with Bacon and then he'd strain the bacon grease from the cast iron skillet and keep it in a coffee can to use for the next batch.

Bacon grease being saved in the coffee can?  Oh yeah - now there's a blast from the past!  ;D

Written By: Abix on 12/12/06 at 2:42 am

Bacon grease being saved in the coffee can?  Oh yeah - now there's a blast from the past!   ;D

yeah, those were the days.. when Cholesterol was practically unheard of..

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/12/06 at 11:31 am

Lard (Animal Fat) used to be spread on bread and was very tasty, I would not dream of eating that now.

My mom is in her late 70's and still uses lard to make the lightest, flakiest, best tasting pie crust that I have ever had.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/12/06 at 12:02 pm

Ok, all you "health experts"  ;) so which is the most unhealthy, Lard, bacon fat, or partially hydrogenated trans fat?  ???

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/12/06 at 1:29 pm

Ok, all you "health experts"  ;) so which is the most unhealthy, Lard, bacon fat, or partially hydrogenated trans fat?  ???

Well, unlike trans fats, New York City has not imposed regulations dictating that lard and bacon grease must be removed from all restaurant prepared food by March, 2007.

Check for new replies or respond here...