inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tom Chapin's "Make A Wish" show.

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/13/06 at 6:32 am

Who else liked it?

"Make A Wish" was a Sunday morning series starring Tom Chapin, produced, written and directed by Lester Cooper. Educational in nature, this show is fondly remembered for the original folksy tunes, written and sung by Tom Chapin (singer Harry Chapin's bother). Different subjects were explored each week, but in 1975 the show's focus shifted to Bicentennial themes.

'Make A Wish' was one of those rare educational shows that kids actually liked and parent groups lauded with awards. The premier episode of the Bicentennial season (on September 7, 1975) looked back at the first trans-continental railway.

Also-  who remembers the 60 second newscast aimed at kids on Saturday mornings, "In The News", hosted by Christopher Glenn??

Subject: Re: Tom Chapin's "Make A Wish" show.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/06 at 12:37 pm

I remember that show but I can't say that I remember liking it (or even watching it). I can see Tom standing there with guitar in hand. I was a big Harry Chapin fan back then (still am) so I did know that was his brother even then. But, Tom's problem (for me anyway) was he wasn't Harry. I think I probably would have watched it if Harry did it.

I also remember "In the News".

Cat

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/13/06 at 2:02 pm

All I remember of "Make A Wish" was a vaguely hippie-ish fellow walking amongst forests or some other such scenes and his song, strummed on acoustic guitar

"Be all that you can, if you want, if you can get it...just let go, fly highhhhhh!"

Christopher Glenn passed away earlier this year. :(
Speaking from my experience  in the radio business, he had a great voice.  http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2006/10/18/publiceye/entry2101599.shtml

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/20/06 at 2:07 am

Who else liked it?

"Make A Wish" was a Sunday morning series starring Tom Chapin, produced, written and directed by Lester Cooper. Educational in nature, this show is fondly remembered for the original folksy tunes, written and sung by Tom Chapin (singer Harry Chapin's bother). Different subjects were explored each week, but in 1975 the show's focus shifted to Bicentennial themes.

'Make A Wish' was one of those rare educational shows that kids actually liked and parent groups lauded with awards. The premier episode of the Bicentennial season (on September 7, 1975) looked back at the first trans-continental railway.

That's cool, I barely remember this show so I honestly can't recall for sure whether or not I liked it.  I do remember that the guy seemed quite pleasant, but for the longest time (actually, right up until I saw this thread, to be honest) I always thought for some reason that the guy was John Robbins, who did the PBS show "Cover To Cover."
Also-  who remembers the 60 second newscast aimed at kids on Saturday mornings, "In The News", hosted by Christopher Glenn??
I remember that show, it was quite informative.

Check for new replies or respond here...