inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Star Wars Holiday Special

Written By: star500 on 12/14/06 at 7:03 am

Just wondering if anyone remembers "The Star Wars Holiday Special." It premired on TV in 1978 and was never, ever shown again. This is because George Lucas hates it and refuses to acknowledge that it even exists. He has been quoted as once saying, "If I had a sledgehammer and a lot of free time, I'd track down every copy of that show and smash it." :o

I've seen clips on it on YouTube and I have to admit, it is pretty bad and I'm not even really a very critical person when it comes to stuff like this. I mean, half the time Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) looks like she high on something, Harrison Ford (Han Solo) looked like he didnt even want to be there and Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) looks really weird, because of all the reconstructive surgery that he was going through at the time. Princess Leia looks especially stoned out during the Life Day celebration, it's almost creepy, LOL. ;D

And don't even get me started on Chewy and his family. His father, Itchy (what a stupid name! LOL) looks like he is retarded and I'm not saying that because I'm being sarcastic, he really looks retarded. His son Lumpy and his wife Malla are not much better.

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that Bea Arthur from the "Golden Girls" is on there as well. (I'm not kidding!) She is the waitress at the Cantina and overall doesn't really do very much.

But by all means, if you can get yourself a copy of the Holiday special as a bootleg, do it. It is quite funny and it is considered by many to be a cult classic.

Subject: Re: The Star Wars Holiday Special

Written By: Davester on 12/14/06 at 1:51 pm

While I have no specific memories of watching this, it's unlikely I would've missed it.  Would've been nine years old at the time and Star Wars was all the rage...

I've since watched clips of the cartoon segment of the show which is not too bad, I guess.  The artwork for the cartoon is pretty cool.  Reminds me of the Heavy Metal  animation for some reason...

I recommend you celebrate that solemn day (Life Day) with some vodka and I'll stress that it's the quantity of vodka that's important - far more so than the quality groove ;) on...

Written By: Gidgxx on 12/15/06 at 5:45 pm

You can download a copy of the holiday special here:

http://www.blueharvest.net/video/original.shtml

Written By: Banks on 12/20/06 at 5:54 am

I have a few copies of this special on DVD.

Yes, its bad at times, but it is fun to watch when you dont want to really get sucked into a 3 or six film saga.

Also, if you do buy a bootleg then make sure you get one with the original commercials in as well as news breaks (Fighting the Frizzies, at eleven!). The commercials are almost worth the (cheaper) price you can pay for this special on DVD.

AN

Written By: robby76 on 12/23/06 at 10:08 am

We taped this on Betamax when it first screened and we used to watch it every year til we changed to VHS. My oldest sister bought a bootleg copy from ebay last year for her kids.

Check for new replies or respond here...