inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: dorney park

Written By: kairi747 on 01/15/07 at 11:07 am

does anyone remember dorney park in allentown, pa from the 70's before it was bought out by cedar fair and made into the big park it is today?  i used to go there as a kid probably up to 1977 or 78.  i went back in 1984 when it was bigger but there was still no water park.  i was really disappointed to find very few traces of the park i remembered.  i thought they should have kept the clown that sat on the bench.  does anyone else remember him?  would anyone have a picture of him??

Subject: Re: dorney park

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/07 at 12:09 pm

I remember Dorney Park. We took a trip to P.A. and went there once. I remember going on the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride (about the only thing I remember of the park).  I must have been about 7 or 8 and the ride was supposed to be "spooky". I remember seeing this painting on the wall in the "cave" of this "scary" guy but I saw his eyes were light bulbs and thought it was funny and started cracking up. I was laughing so hard throughout the ride that I got everyone in the boat with us laughing, too. So all of us were laughing so hard on this so-called "spooky" ride.

Cat

Written By: kairi747 on 01/18/07 at 10:17 am

yeah, there were a lot of "scary" images in that ride!  i remember, in particular, an orange neon spider.  i think they used neon paint and black lighting, if i'm not mistaken!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/24/07 at 12:21 pm

The only Dorney I know is of the 80s and 90s. I was far too young in the 70s to go, unfortunately. I am a native of Philly, btw and to be honest, Dorney beats Hershey any day.

Written By: kairi747 on 01/29/07 at 2:32 pm

The only Dorney I know is of the 80s and 90s. I was far too young in the 70s to go, unfortunately. I am a native of Philly, btw and to be honest, Dorney beats Hershey any day.

yeah, i don't really understand the fascination with hershey.  dorney is a lot better imo.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 01/30/07 at 1:30 pm

I remember Dorney Park. I live in Reading so its like an hour I think from where I live. My grandparents used to take me and my sister when we were kids there. I haven't gone there since the very late 80s when they built Hercules. I don't know if I would go back there now cause it probably wouldn't be the same since it was taken over by a new company. I remember in the paper when they had the fire that destroyed the Bucket of Blood and the Carosel.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/30/07 at 6:20 pm

I remember Dorney Park. I live in Reading so its like an hour I think from where I live. My grandparents used to take me and my sister when we were kids there. I haven't gone there since the very late 80s when they built Hercules. I don't know if I would go back there now cause it probably wouldn't be the same since it was taken over by a new company. I remember in the paper when they had the fire that destroyed the Bucket of Blood and the Carosel.

Yeah, I remember the fuss over Hercules when it opened. The thing that freaked me out was the rickety sound of the tracks. Not a good thing!!! lol

Written By: kairi747 on 01/31/07 at 9:36 am

Hercules is gone now.  It's been replaced with Hydra, the only monster who could take down Hercules!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/07 at 5:03 pm

Hercules is gone now.  It's been replaced with Hydra, the only monster who could take down Hercules!

I've been gone from PA since May 2003!! Wow. Is Hydra a steel or wooden roller coaster?

Written By: kairi747 on 02/01/07 at 6:32 pm

it's steel.  it starts with a slow-motion corkscrew and takes your picture upside down.  it's pretty good and one roller coaster that is worth waiting for the front car.

Check for new replies or respond here...