inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stairway, Dude! Stairway!

Written By: Tia on 02/11/07 at 6:08 pm

We all know that stairway to heaven, once one of the most loved and respected songs in the history of rock, was massacred by MASSIVE radio overplay in the 1970s and '80s, and is now one of the most reviled songs in rock history. But think about it -- when have you actually heard it lately?

For months I've been of the opinion that stairway is due to make a big comeback. A while ago i nearly did a rendition of stairway at a bar open mic but changed my mind at the last minute, and now me and a friend of mine are gonna do a bunch of guerrilla led zeppelin covers on a street corner so i can win kim richards' love, and we're talking about closing the set with stairway. i showed a friend of mine our setlist, though, and she's like, okay, if you're gonna play stairway you'd better be prepared to encounter angry mobs, hostile police with guns drawn, very likely physical violence. so now i'm rethinking it.

whaddaya think? are you still sick of stairway? are you dying to hear it again? do you secretly listen to it in the dark late night alone? or do you just think it's ruined forever?

does anybody remember laughter? :\'(

Subject: Re: Stairway, Dude! Stairway!

Written By: loki 13 on 02/11/07 at 6:49 pm

Unfortunately, I am Stairwayed out.  :P

WMGK, in Philadelphia, plays Stairway every day. As great of a song it is, I am at a point where I don't care if I ever
hear it again. Along with Stairway they play, Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love, and Fool In The Rain every day. With the exception
of Fool In The Rain, they know how to ruin a great song. Fool In The Rain ruined itself.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/11/07 at 7:14 pm

I don't listen to the radio anymore, so I hardly hear it. Only when it pops up on my playlist do I hear it. Led's best tunes were the ones not played 150 times per week on rock stations.

Stairway is a fantastic song, if I hear it come on I'd turn it up. I guess I haven't heard it as many times as many others.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/11/07 at 8:10 pm

I love Stairway, but it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated.

Written By: La Roche on 02/11/07 at 8:16 pm

American Radio is essentially designed for people who have had.. or are soon going to have massive total lobotomys. In essence.. people from California.

Now, Stairway is played, by every station, every day, every week.. every month.. and so on.

For the bastard thing to come back, would mean it had to have gone away... which it wont.

I broke a radio once for playing Rush.. it's only deep respect that keeps me from breaking one for Stairway.

Written By: Tia on 02/11/07 at 8:21 pm

i dont really listen to commercial radio that much. i'm frankly shocked they still have the audacity to play it. i thought it had been blacklisted for ten years at least!

i'm calling jason now and giving the abort order. extract! extract! we'll add four sticks and then maybe do kashmir for the big closer. that persists in being a killer tune.

Written By: La Roche on 02/11/07 at 8:21 pm

i dont really listen to commercial radio that much. i'm frankly shocked they still have the audacity to play it. i thought it had been blacklisted for ten years at least!

i'm calling jason now and giving the abort order. extract! extract! we'll add four sticks and then maybe do kashmir for the big closer. that persists in being a killer tune.

I think we need an american commercial radio thread.

I'm all over it cap'n.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/11/07 at 8:27 pm

Honestly, I don't hear it all that much on classic radio stations down here.  They'd rather overplay Stxy, which is frankly much worse.  Styx sucks. 

Written By: La Roche on 02/11/07 at 8:29 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,25376.0.html

Written By: Banks on 02/12/07 at 4:34 am

If you wanna impress a lady with Led Zep, Id go for Over The Hills And Far Away. Its awsome, as is Thank You.

I also love Custard Pie, Night Flight, Gallows Pole, Wanton Song, In My Time Of Dying, Kashmir, Tangerine, and most of their other early to mid era songs/music.

AN

Written By: Tia on 02/12/07 at 6:33 am

we're talking no sticks, kashmir, that's the way, gallows pole, friends, heartbreaker, good times bad times. i'd like to add over the hills, actually. i sorta know that one already.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/07 at 2:20 pm

I don't think I could ever get sick of Stairway. There was a radio station I used to listen to when I lived in Conn. that played it EVERY night at 10 to midnight (as the DJ's show was ending). I used to make sure that I was there at that time just to listen to it. Now, I have it on a CD so I can listen to it any time I want.

Cat

Written By: zcrito on 02/12/07 at 5:12 pm

American Radio is essentially designed for people who have had.. or are soon going to have massive total lobotomys. In essence.. people from California.

Now, Stairway is played, by every station, every day, every week.. every month.. and so on.

For the bastard thing to come back, would mean it had to have gone away... which it wont.

I broke a radio once for playing Rush.. it's only deep respect that keeps me from breaking one for Stairway.

I broke a radio once for playing Rush...

Mahogany or just Rush ?
If just Rush then what's your beef with them ?  ???

Written By: Tia on 02/12/07 at 5:49 pm

I broke a radio once for playing Rush...

Mahogany or just Rush ?
If just Rush then what's your beef with them ?  ???

yeah!

the trees can't help their feelings if they like the way they're made, dude.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/12/07 at 5:58 pm

Tea For One is ace.

Written By: Tia on 02/12/07 at 6:05 pm

i was thinking some achilles last stand. but my bro jason knows nothing of presence.

Written By: Tia on 02/14/07 at 2:12 pm

ha! i'm doing zeppeliny things for my snow day today and i had to look for lyrics for four sticks, most of em leave out that weird vocal improv at the end. (where bob sounds like he's saying, "scrumchy little whore... and they can't hold to look at those who are..." am i right? or wrong?)

anyway, finally found accurate lyrics.

"Oh, baby, it's cryin' time
Oh, baby, I got to fly
I've got to try to find a way
I've got to try to find a way
Oh, baby, the river's red
Oh, baby, it's in my head
There's a funny feelin' goin' on, oh yeah
I don't think I can hold out long

And when the owls cry in the night
Oh, baby, baby, when the pines begin to cry
Oh, baby, baby, how do you feel
If the rivers run dry, baby
How do you feel, oh yeah

Oh, baby, the rainbow's end
Ahh, baby, it's just a den
It's just a den for those who hide
Oh, under love to depths of life, ohh

And when the owls cry in the night
Oh, baby, baby, when the pines begin to cry
Oh, baby, how do you feel
When the rivers run dry, baby
How would you feel

Ooh yeah, the brave I endure
Ooh yeah, strong shields and lore
An' they can't hold the wrath of those who walk
An' the boots of those who march, oh
Ohh ohh, I'll never get away from you baby

Ooooh, yeah
I'll never get away from you baby

Ahhh
Ahhh, yeah
Ohhh, ahhh, yeah

Whoa yeah
Ohh yeah, ohh yeah, ohh yeah, ohh yeah, ohh yeah
Uh yeah, uh yeah, uh yeah, uh yeah, uh yeah, uh yeah,
Uh yeah, uh yeah, uh yeah, uh yeah, uh yeah, uh yeah
Yeah
Oh, oh
Yeah"

i love how he mapped out all the oh yeahs.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 12:52 am

I dunno. Even though I love Led Zeppelin, I want to hear "Stairway to Heaven" just about as badly as I want to hear "Old Time Rock & Roll" by Bob Seger.  :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/15/07 at 2:37 am

I almost feel like at a young age I vowed that when Stairway To Heaven plays, I will never change the station, ever. I don't think it's overrated, or overplayed however when I saw Page/Plant, they did not play it and they didn't play Rock And Roll which was disappointing, but they played Whole Lotta Love and it kicked major ass. Stairway to me is a thing of beauty that I never grow tired of. It is what it is. Maybe I like it because it's so much like sex, it starts slowly and tenderly, and then it gets more aggressive and intense and finally reaches the climactic crescendo and then finishes with a soft caring ending. It always leaves me satisifed.  8)

The way I see it is there is no comeback because to me, it never left.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/15/07 at 3:53 am

Maybe I like it because it's so much like sex, it starts slowly and tenderly, and then it gets more aggressive and intense and finally reaches the climactic crescendo and then finishes with a soft caring ending. It always leaves me satisifed.  8)
Interesting description that works.

Although maybe bordering on TMI.  :-\\

Written By: Tia on 02/15/07 at 11:06 pm

did good times bad times with the band tonight, i'll be doing the vocals on it on saturday. i was jamming on it with my friend jason last weekend and we were like, hey what's that bit at the very end? "i sure do hate to be alone," i sing, and then it's, something, and then, "i don't care what the neighbors say." and then he just sings, "i sure do hate to be alone/my favorite movie scene's when ET's phoning home."

so that's what i sang tonight and nobody noticed it. so that's the way i'll do it saturday. good times good times!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/16/07 at 12:38 am

Interesting description that works.

Although maybe bordering on TMI.  :-\\
nor borders about it, we're talking TMI, sorry you had to read that Luke  :-\\

did good times bad times with the band tonight, i'll be doing the vocals on it on saturday. i was jamming on it with my friend jason last weekend and we were like, hey what's that bit at the very end? "i sure do hate to be alone," i sing, and then it's, something, and then, "i don't care what the neighbors say." and then he just sings, "i sure do hate to be alone/my favorite movie scene's when ET's phoning home."

so that's what i sang tonight and nobody noticed it. so that's the way i'll do it saturday. good times good times!
right on Tia, was it a performance or reheasal?  ^ that's why i don't always trust Lyrics from websites  ;D

Written By: Tia on 02/16/07 at 9:41 pm

ah, i'm blearily singing along to stairway right now. and i got headphones on so no one on the block can hear the actual music, just me doing a warbly a capella.

i have a funny feeling i'm gonna be coming to on a stretcher in a minute.

aw, man, i like this song. i haven't heard this in like five years!

Written By: dance4fun on 02/17/07 at 12:27 am

It's one of those tunes that I never tire of

I also like Led Zeps Dyermaker; Dancing Days; Kashmir; Houses Of The Holy; All My Love; In The Evening

Written By: Tia on 02/17/07 at 12:30 am

It's one of those tunes that I never tire of

I also like Led Zeps Dyermaker; Dancing Days; Kashmir; Houses Of The Holy; All My Love; In The Evening
those are all amazing songs, in fact. it's been tricky coming up with this setlist because so much of it is so good.

let's face it, crap zeppelin is better than 99% of just about any other music out there.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/17/07 at 2:09 am

In The Evening is amazing.  In Through The Out Door is so underrated.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/07 at 2:15 am

The Ocean is a feisty number

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/17/07 at 3:50 am

I've got alot of the music they play on those Classic Rock stations anyway (which tend to rotate the same old songs anyway), and although I get sick of the song as a whole, I still get a little chill down the spine every time I hear THAT (I know it is somewhat overrated) solo.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/07 at 4:06 am

In the movie Almost Famous, the Bootleg directors cut which is untitled there is a deleted scene that did not make the movie where young William is trying to convince his mom to allow him to tour with the band Stillwater as a rock journalist for Rolling Stone mag and in the deleted scene, he has his big sisters boyfriend, his Journalism teacher, and his school counselor all together facing his mom trying to persuade her to let him go and how good it would be for him. He uses Stairway To Heaven as his tactic and plays the song and insists his mom listen to it and then once she has listened, she is sure to understand why he has to go. The reason it didn't make the movie is because Led Zeppelin wouldn't authorize usage of S.T.H. so the director Cameron Crowe tells you to queue up Stairway from the Led Zep 4 album and follow the countdown on the screen, and then when it hits zero, play the song and watch the scene as it would have been with the music.  I did it a couple times, it's cool.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/17/07 at 4:07 am

let's face it, crap zeppelin is better than 99% of just about any other music out there.

Quote for truth.

Written By: Tia on 02/17/07 at 6:19 am

In the movie Almost Famous, the Bootleg directors cut which is untitled there is a deleted scene that did not make the movie where young William is trying to convince his mom to allow him to tour with the band Stillwater as a rock journalist for Rolling Stone mag and in the deleted scene, he has his big sisters boyfriend, his Journalism teacher, and his school counselor all together facing his mom trying to persuade her to let him go and how good it would be for him. He uses Stairway To Heaven as his tactic and plays the song and insists his mom listen to it and then once she has listened, she is sure to understand why he has to go. The reason it didn't make the movie is because Led Zeppelin wouldn't authorize usage of S.T.H. so the director Cameron Crowe tells you to queue up Stairway from the Led Zep 4 album and follow the countdown on the screen, and then when it hits zero, play the song and watch the scene as it would have been with the music.  I did it a couple times, it's cool.
that's cool! though i love the band they seem like they're big corndogs about rights, they don't let any of their stuff to get out on rhapsody or any of the other online services. pink floyd does! i mean, what gives?

Written By: mandamoo on 02/17/07 at 6:34 am

I voted no, as it seems to get ample air-play here  :o

Check out some of these versions  :D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/17/07 at 6:56 am

Please God NO!!!!!

Written By: Tia on 02/17/07 at 8:29 am

Please God NO!!!!!
*ahem*

there's a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... who's shoooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeee......

Written By: danootaandme on 02/17/07 at 8:35 am

*ahem*

there's a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... who's shoooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeee......

;D    You got that right.  I have to add that it is known that I am not a big Zep fan, and I have serious issues with Page in particular, but there are Zep songs I really do like, but this is one song I could have done without from the very first note to the very last.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/07 at 12:14 pm

Please God NO!!!!!
I ain't saying nuthn'!  ;D 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/07 at 2:31 am

I have that version of Almost Famous.  One of my favorite movies ever.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/07 at 2:32 am

Crap Zeppelin was better than 99% of the music at the time they made it.  It's the same now. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/21/07 at 3:13 am

I have that version of Almost Famous.  One of my favorite movies ever.
one of mine too. really captures the era well. Did you go thru the extra special features and play Stairway on your cd player to the deleted scene?  of course you did.  That version has some awesome extras.

Written By: holicman on 02/21/07 at 6:01 am

;D    You got that right.  I have to add that it is known that I am not a big Zep fan, and I have serious issues with Page in particular, but there are Zep songs I really do like, but this is one song I could have done without from the very first note to the very last.

Id be interested to hear your feelings on why you dont like Jimmy Page.........he is one of those silent celebrities that seems to keep to himself, not a judgement or criticism, just curious :)

I can listen to Stairway to heaven all over, I never tire of this song, but when it comes to countdowns, I definitely tire of hearing it as the no.1 tune.

I think songs like Kashmir, Rock N Roll, Misty Mountain Hop and Trampled Underfoot are very under rated :)

Written By: Tia on 02/21/07 at 6:39 am

she feels that led zeppelin basically stole all their music from (mostly) black american bluesmen; they also took a lot of their music from traditional british folk. from where i'm sitting they seemed to change the music around enough to make it their own but she gets quite exercised about it so i expect she'll have her own take.

they were also slimy drug addicts and alcoholics who had a penchant for prostitutes and underage girls. but, you know, who didn't?

Written By: danootaandme on 02/22/07 at 2:31 pm

she feels that led zeppelin basically stole all their music from (mostly) black american bluesmen; they also took a lot of their music from traditional british folk. from where i'm sitting they seemed to change the music around enough to make it their own but she gets quite exercised about it so i expect she'll have her own take.

they were also slimy drug addicts and alcoholics who had a penchant for prostitutes and underage girls. but, you know, who didn't?

Page and Co didn't change it enough to evade a plagiarism suit, and garner the disdain of fellow musicians for trying to steal the royalties from the blues men they all respected. And, it is not like I'm the only one.  As I have stated before, he lost that battle in court to the estates of Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson and Muddy Waters and future albums had to credit the people who actually penned the tunes. Heck have you ever watched the Simpsons?  In the episode when they go to London Homer says "Look, there's Jimmy Paige, the biggest thief of American Black Music..."  I almost fell off my chair laughing.  He ripped off Jake Holmes’ "Dazed and Confused." A complete rip off but Jimmy Page is credited with writing it. Then there was Howlin' Wolf - How Many More Years, Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe - When the Levee Breaks, Muddy Waters’ You Need Love = Whole Lotta Love, Willie Dixon - I Can't Quit You Baby, Sonny Boy Williamson - Bring It On Home, Muddy Waters - You Shook Me, Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" = "The Lemon Song." When Cream, The Allman Bros. etc. released an album the real writer was credited. It matters. It helps to listen to the original to see where all this is coming from, after all Jimmy did.   ;)

Written By: Tia on 02/22/07 at 2:34 pm

well, there you have it. buzz duly harshed.

it actually reminds me a little of the george harrison flap. he did a song that sounded like, what was it, the supremes? i can't remember. anyway, i remember they played a snippet from both songs and it's SUCH a stock riff, if you play guitar or ever play pop music there's a few basic chord progressions that come up a trillion times, and i remember thinking, yes, if you break it down to the progressions the harrison song does sound like the other tune -- and like a half-million others as well. but he lost the lawsuit, mainly because the plagiarism laws are based around how many NOTES are the same, and in pop music there's basically only a few different configurations of notes. so basically if you make pop music, and you're unlucky enough to get sued for plagiarism by a half-decent lawyer, you're gonna lose. period.

LZ's tunes were innovative in their brand of performance, their instrumentation, and the excellent musicianship and showmanship they demonstrated. i don't think it was ever a big secret they were adaptations of blues songs, although yes, the original artists deserved to get credited. but i definitely don't think it merits dismissal of the band as a whole, not by any means.

i have a funny feeling if i hear the orignal songs they're going to sound VERY different, yes?

the funniest part is that we were gonna do our bad zeppelin thing in front of the theaters playing black snake moan (thus getting in the style section, thus getting kim richards' attention, thus allowing me to win her love), but we decided we weren't going to be well-enough rehearsed in time. but we were all, okay, this is what we wanna do, it's a blues-oriented movie, do we know any blues songs? and i was like, nah, not really, but we started learning some led zeppelin songs and, erm, isn't that basically the same thing?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 7:03 pm

The music is great and he's still one of the greatest guitarists to ever pick up an instrument and start playing.  A lot of rock musicians did things I don't care for, but that doesn't mean the music sucked and it shouldn't be listened to.  Led Zeppelin is one of the few bands out there who I feel, didn't go through a sucky period.  It's a damn shame they didn't release more than they did.....they were amazing. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 7:10 pm

LZ's tunes were innovative in their brand of performance, their instrumentation, and the excellent musicianship and showmanship they demonstrated. i don't think it was ever a big secret they were adaptations of blues songs, although yes, the original artists deserved to get credited. but i definitely don't think it merits dismissal of the band as a whole, not by any means.

Karma for truth.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/22/07 at 7:36 pm

Even though I hear Stairway every day, there are times I don't mind hearing it. If someone covers it right
it is worth hearing. I saw Stanley Jordan a few years ago and he covers the song. It is one of the best versions
I've ever heard. He gives it a nice jazzy twist to it and what makes this one different is that it's an instrumental.
One man playing two guitars it a sight you just have to see.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs

I hope the link works.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/07 at 5:43 am

i had a dream about this thread last night.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/24/07 at 5:51 am

i had a dream about this thread last night.
was it a good dream or did Danoota scare the Zep outta ya  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/24/07 at 5:54 am

was it a good dream or did Danoota scare the Zep outta ya  ;D

::)  ;D  Just doing my job, sir. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/24/07 at 5:59 am

::)   ;D  Just doing my job, sir. 
you're doing your job well & could be up for a promotion or a bonus

Written By: danootaandme on 02/24/07 at 6:01 am

you're doing your job well & could be up for a promotion or a bonus

Forget the "Say it With Flowers"  the was over at 30.... at 50 the mantra is  "Say It With Cash"    ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/24/07 at 6:03 am

Forget the "Say it With Flowers"  the was over at 30.... at 50 the mantra is   "Say It With Cash"    ;D
true, cash does tend to be quite pleasing when one is on the recieving end.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/07 at 6:10 am

i dreamed danoota got really mad and unsubscribed to the thread. so i felt bad. but at the same time, i was like... wait. how do you unsubscribe to a thread? cuz there's a lot of sucky threads i'd like to unsubscribe to. but i couldn't ask her cuz she'd unsubscribed.

so i guess you could say i'd actually annoyed the zep outta danoota? i dunno, i had LOADS of weird dreams last night.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/24/07 at 7:10 am

i dreamed danoota got really mad and unsubscribed to the thread. so i felt bad. but at the same time, i was like... wait. how do you unsubscribe to a thread? cuz there's a lot of sucky threads i'd like to unsubscribe to. but i couldn't ask her cuz she'd unsubscribed.

so i guess you could say i'd actually annoyed the zep outta danoota? i dunno, i had LOADS of weird dreams last night.

Don't you worry about me, I live for this kinda of stuff.  If we all agreed I would be out of here sooooo fast.  I love being able to trash Zep, but I love it when Zep fans come back at me for it, shows character.  I also know I can be just as annoying as I can annoy.  Wouldn't have it any other way.  ;)

Written By: holicman on 02/26/07 at 6:49 am

Page and Co didn't change it enough to evade a plagiarism suit, and garner the disdain of fellow musicians for trying to steal the royalties from the blues men they all respected. And, it is not like I'm the only one.  As I have stated before, he lost that battle in court to the estates of Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson and Muddy Waters and future albums had to credit the people who actually penned the tunes. Heck have you ever watched the Simpsons?  In the episode when they go to London Homer says "Look, there's Jimmy Paige, the biggest thief of American Black Music..."  I almost fell off my chair laughing.  He ripped off Jake Holmes’ "Dazed and Confused." A complete rip off but Jimmy Page is credited with writing it. Then there was Howlin' Wolf - How Many More Years, Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe - When the Levee Breaks, Muddy Waters’ You Need Love = Whole Lotta Love, Willie Dixon - I Can't Quit You Baby, Sonny Boy Williamson - Bring It On Home, Muddy Waters - You Shook Me, Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" = "The Lemon Song." When Cream, The Allman Bros. etc. released an album the real writer was credited. It matters. It helps to listen to the original to see where all this is coming from, after all Jimmy did.   ;)

Cheers mate :)

Please dont think I was being critical  I was just interested to hear your reasoning :)

I must admit that I watch the simpsons almost religiously and I never picked up on the Homer V Jimmie remark.

The reason for that is I have been ignorant or uninformed or uneducated ( for better words) to the rip off saga you mentioned.

Check for new replies or respond here...