inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70's Music

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 03/05/07 at 11:57 pm

For me, no contest, it was Rock.

Zepplin Jeans Vs Angel's Flight pants
Hobie Shirt Vs Silk Shirt with huge collars
Vans Vs Platforms

Rock was Wicked!!

Subject: Re: 70's Music

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/06/07 at 8:03 pm

Sorry to wimp out, but my answer has to be "all of the above - and more".  :-\\

I grew up listening primarily to top 40 which included plenty of all the styles above, plus pop, bubblegum, movie themes, you name it.  Not that I liked all of everything, but you develop a taste for different kinds of music when you listen to so many different kinds.

During the late 70s I probably gravitated more to disco as opposed to rock, mostly because I liked to dance.  However as time wore on my love for rock soared, whereas my interest in disco went flat.

I perhaps had a keener than average interest in Soul/R&B.  It was such high quality music during my peak listening time of the early-mid 70s, plus I loved to watch Soul Train on TV on Saturdays.

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 03/06/07 at 10:02 pm

That makes sense, I think for us guys in Southern Cal, dancing was not the coolest thing to do at the time. We were too cool and were content with downing a few beers or Boone's Farm Tickle Pink before the dances praying no girls were going to ask us to dance to Funky Town or Last Dance!!
If it was a good night, we'd luck out and get to dance to some slow songs hoping we'd get to make out at the same time. Not too many good nights since the "smart" guys were the ones doing the dancing  :\'(,,,,

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/06/07 at 10:56 pm

all of the above! BTW, nice avatar pic, is that you?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/06/07 at 11:40 pm

The '70s music that I've gotten into secondhand is more all over the board. If I had to pick one, it'd be rock, but I like pop, as opposed to harder, louder stuff like Zeppelin or early Aerosmith - although a few of those songs are cool.

I like whatever was left over from the '60s styles (i.e. "A Horse With No Name", Let It Bleed-era Rolling Stones, late period Doors and Beatles songs, Neil Young), the commercial pop/rock of the mid '70s (i.e. Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller) certain AC pop ("I'd Really Love to See You Tonight") as well as the classic rock and pop of the late '70s, which predated the '80s in a way (certain Foreigner, Cars, Journey and Tom Petty songs).

I'd say 1973-1978/early '79 were the "classic" pure '70s music years. Like the popularization of singer-songwriter and AM pop music, until the decline of disco.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/07/07 at 3:39 pm

All of the above!  :)

Written By: zcrito on 03/07/07 at 7:32 pm

I'd be willin' to bet most people listened to and like are three types listed -- at different times during that decade.

Rock reached its peak at around '74/'75 and then disco kicked in. I didn't have a problem with most disco, just the bad stuff. Soul (for me) was at its best around '72 - '78. The Techno sounding stuff of the late '70s was also good.
As for country, there were a few cross over songs but that's about it.

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 03/08/07 at 11:33 pm

all of the above! BTW, nice avatar pic, is that you?

Yeah,,, ;)

Written By: whiteport on 03/10/07 at 9:29 pm

I've been a Rocker since '75

Written By: Banks on 03/13/07 at 11:24 pm

I have to say ALL of the above as well, though I did pick rock in the poll.

Being a young kid (8 in 1980) I grew up listening to the music that my Mum played on the record player and what was being played on the radio. That being said, my cousins, who were a lot older than myself, would play Led Zeppelin a LOT and because my Mum was from Wales (in the UK) I also got to hear a lot of the 1960's bands which were still having their music played. Bands like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones Manfred Mann/Manfred Manns Earth Band and the like.

I grew up listening to disco as well because, while my Mum was in her late 20's and very early 30's in the late 1970's she still loved going to the clubs around our large home town and dancing to disco. She would bring home records she bought from the clubs and record stores, which were predominantly disco. Also, my Mum was a Jackson 5 fan and a Motown fan, so I got to hear a LOT of soul music.

The singer songwriter music of the early to mid 1970's was something that was always played at our house. Joni Mitchell's Lady's Of The Canyon album was a favorite, as were Bob Dylan, and numerous other such singer songwriters.

Oh, and Paul McArtney's Wings was ALWAYS a favorite, as was John Lennon.

KISS was also a band I really got into as a kid, mainly due to most of my friends liking them, but also because the music was pretty damned good...

And the biggest band to love in Australia was AC/DC with Bon Scott!!! I still have ALL of the singles, including their first one which had a different lead singer (other than Scott and Johnson) who's first name escapes me right now but his last name was Evans Im pretty sure. I also have ALL of  the albums on which Bon was the lead singer.

Anyway...I think my mum and family in general gave me a broad taste in music which Ive always kept.

AN

Written By: Snoopygirl on 03/14/07 at 9:51 pm

I'll say all of them.

Written By: freeridemt on 03/19/07 at 11:18 pm

All of the above.
I do remember all the bruises from my first time trying to roller skate to KC & The Sunshine Band(Keep it Comin Love)

Written By: Frank Danko on 04/26/07 at 12:02 pm

:D :D :D :D

Check for new replies or respond here...