inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: National Society of Fans of Witch Mountain

Written By: Tia on 03/21/07 at 10:40 pm

http://www.deadendinternet.com/witchmountain/nsfwm/join.html

found this dude a few months ago, i sent him a two-dollar check and he sent me a cute little certificate in the mail making me an official Fan of Witch Mountain. These are stripes i feel i've earned, frankly. he's got a list of a few folks who every once in a while we get little email updates, like when anniversaries of movie/book release dates and actor birthdays come up.

http://www.deadendinternet.com/witchmountain/nsfwmlogo.jpg

between this and the ike eisenmann fan club, i feel like i'm not alone. ALMOST alone, in that both groups couldn't have more than a dozen people in em, but still...

witch mountain, bitch! keep the faith.

Subject: Re: National Society of Fans of Witch Mountain

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/07 at 10:47 pm

that's pretty darn cool! 8)  I always loved those movies when I was younger...it's been ages since I've seen them, so I decided to add them to my movie list on Blockbuster Online. :)

Written By: Tia on 03/21/07 at 10:50 pm

that's pretty darn cool! 8)  I always loved those movies when I was younger...it's been ages since I've seen them, so I decided to add them to my movie list on Blockbuster Online. :)
make sure and listen to the commentary tracks! i love the commentary tracks, you get to hear ike and kim yuk it up from a couple years ago. pretty great.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/07 at 10:55 pm

make sure and listen to the commentary tracks! i love the commentary tracks, you get to hear ike and kim yuk it up from a couple years ago. pretty great.

oh neat...I will be sure to do that when I watch them.  Do you like any other movies from that era...like, "Candleshoe"...."Freaky Friday"....."Blackbeard's Ghost"...etc..

Written By: Tia on 03/21/07 at 11:04 pm

oh neat...I will be sure to do that when I watch them.  Do you like any other movies from that era...like, "Candleshoe"...."Freaky Friday"....."Blackbeard's Ghost"...etc..
i got freaky friday on netflix a few months ago, loved it. from back in the day!

there's a movie called "devil dog" that features the same two kids in it.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70061761&trkid=189530&strkid=2075163568_0_0

okay, it got two stars and both of the user reviews say that the movie made them want to end their lives. but don't listen to them! it's great.

i've also got no deposit, no return sitting around here somewhere. oh, and, um, bugsy malone. oh, and shaggy d.a. (1976).

i think it was funny to grow up in the 70s because it was such a cynical age and the kids movies were really trying to get their footing. best kids movie award, i'd have to give to either freaky friday or bad news bears. but a lot of those kids movies in the disco days were surprisingly... not for kids.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/07 at 11:06 pm

i got freaky friday on netflix a few months ago, loved it. from back in the day!

there's a movie called "devil dog" that features the same two kids in it.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70061761&trkid=189530&strkid=2075163568_0_0

okay, it got two stars and both of the user reviews say that the movie made them want to end their lives. but don't listen to them! it's great.

i've also got no deposit, no return sitting around here somewhere. oh, and, um, bugsy malone. oh, and shaggy d.a. (1976).

i think it was funny to grow up in the 70s because it was such a cynical age and the kids movies were really trying to get their footing. best kids movie award, i'd have to give to either freaky friday or bad news bears. but a lot of those kids movies in the disco days were surprisingly... not for kids.

wow, I never heard of that movie before...sounds good though. Ya, I love all of those old 60's to 70's movies. Freaky Friday is one of my favorites....I absolutely love Jodie Foster, she was in a lot of great movies when she was younger, as well as today.

Written By: Tia on 03/21/07 at 11:15 pm

wow, I never heard of that movie before...sounds good though. Ya, I love all of those old 60's to 70's movies. Freaky Friday is one of my favorites....I absolutely love Jodie Foster, she was in a lot of great movies when she was younger, as well as today.
i posted the wrong info. devil dog is actually here...

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70037542&trkid=189530&strkid=291311965_1_0

jodie foster's awesome, but she was always so damned... i mean, just crazy smart. she really IS like the character she played in "the little girl who lived down the lane." (also an amazing movie, by the way. but definitely not for kids, lol.) she was like a 40-year-old trapped in a teenager's body.

oo, "a little romance," that's an amazing kids movie from back in the day. i was also a big fan of "the black hole," that cheesy disney sci fi forbidden-planet/star-wars ripoff. good times.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/07 at 11:20 pm

i posted the wrong info. devil dog is actually here...

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70037542&trkid=189530&strkid=291311965_1_0

jodie foster's awesome, but she was always so damned... i mean, just crazy smart. she really IS like the character she played in "the little girl who lived down the lane." (also an amazing movie, by the way. but definitely not for kids, lol.) she was like a 40-year-old trapped in a teenager's body.

oo, "a little romance," that's an amazing kids movie from back in the day. i was also a big fan of "the black hole," that cheesy disney sci fi forbidden-planet/star-wars ripoff. good times.

yes, you are right...Jodie was always a "little woman".....Dakota Fanning kind of reminds me a bit of how she was when she was younger...like WAY beyond her years.  She's an AMAZING actress....IMO, she doesn't put out nearly enough movies.

Written By: Tia on 03/21/07 at 11:26 pm

yes, you are right...Jodie was always a "little woman".....Dakota Fanning kind of reminds me a bit of how she was when she was younger...like WAY beyond her years.  She's an AMAZING actress....IMO, she doesn't put out nearly enough movies.
in "a little romance" both the kids are like these supergeniuses, too. whenever i see dakota fanning, and i guess the only movie i can think of that she was in was war of the worlds, that i saw... i liked her all right, sure. although it's hard to play opposite bigass mutant martian death machines bent on world domination. they tend to chew up the scenery.

what do you think of christina ricci? i just saw "monster" and was completely blown away by it (and of course i totally worshipped black snake moan, also) but it's funny -- a couple of friends of mine say christina ricci really gets on their nerves and i was really digging on her, talent-wise (i mean, looks wise she's obviously gorgeous, although she has that weird-ass forehead ;D) but i was rewatching "monster" and started seeing what my friends were saying. she sorta overacts a bit.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/07 at 11:31 pm

in "a little romance" both the kids are like these supergeniuses, too. whenever i see dakota fanning, and i guess the only movie i can think of that she was in was war of the worlds, that i saw... i liked her all right, sure. although it's hard to play opposite bigass mutant martian death machines bent on world domination. they tend to chew up the scenery.

what do you think of christina ricci? i just saw "monster" and was completely blown away by it (and of course i totally worshipped black snake moan, also) but it's funny -- a couple of friends of mine say christina ricci really gets on their nerves and i was really digging on her, talent-wise (i mean, looks wise she's obviously gorgeous, although she has that weird-ass forehead ;D) but i was rewatching "monster" and started seeing what my friends were saying. she sorta overacts a bit.

Christina is a great actress....she's very versatile too.  I really love her because she looks like a Blythe doll from the 70's...and in my book...Blythe dolls are swell! ;)

Written By: Tia on 03/21/07 at 11:37 pm

Christina is a great actress....she's very versatile too.  I really love her because she looks like a Blythe doll from the 70's...and in my book...Blythe dolls are swell! ;)
maaan, when she does that "let it shine" gospel song in black snake moan, forget about it... i'm instant blubber.  :-[ and she has some really magnificent moments in monster, too, but she says this thing about her character in monster on one of the featurettes where she refers to the character she plays as "weak," and... i dunno, it sorta let me down. i thought it was a facile reading of her character. but i dunno if you saw the movie, this wouldn't make sense if you haven't.

what else has she been in, that you've seen? charlize theron was seriously effin' GENIUS in monster, you have to rip the definition of "acting" out of your dictionary after seeing what she does in that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/22/07 at 12:07 am

maaan, when she does that "let it shine" gospel song in black snake moan, forget about it... i'm instant blubber.  :-[ and she has some really magnificent moments in monster, too, but she says this thing about her character in monster on one of the featurettes where she refers to the character she plays as "weak," and... i dunno, it sorta let me down. i thought it was a facile reading of her character. but i dunno if you saw the movie, this wouldn't make sense if you haven't.

what else has she been in, that you've seen? charlize theron was seriously effin' GENIUS in monster, you have to rip the definition of "acting" out of your dictionary after seeing what she does in that.

Let's see.....she was pretty good in the movie, "Sleepy Hollow" with Johnny Depp...they play very well off of each other...."Pumpkin" was a great movie...I really loved it! I saw bits and pieces of, "Prozac Nation"...from what I saw...it was good.  And of course when she was younger: "That Darn Cat", "Addams Family", "Now and Then", "Mermaids", "Casper"....they were all good.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/07 at 12:40 am

I loved Christina Ricci in the Wes Craven flick 'Cursed'

Written By: Banks on 03/30/07 at 6:02 am

Back to the 1970's for a tick, I have both Escape From and Return To Witch Mountain on VHS as well as The Shaggy D.A, which I saw in 1977 at the drive-in. On DVD I have The Black Hole, Bugsy Malone, Freaky Friday and a few others...

Ive been trying to find a film called 'The Cat From Outer Space' for years now, but noone has even heard of it. Below is a link to a picture of the poster art for the film:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/CGOOTR_/TheCatFromOuterSpaceposter.jpg

AN

Written By: Tia on 03/30/07 at 7:49 am

we totally saw cat from outer space a few months ago. it's not as good as you remember. however, black hole is killer.

you can get cat from outer space on netflix. by weird coincidence i just brought that flick up on the thread about rob zombie redoing halloween, of all places.

i also have "shaggy d.a.," i got a review copy not too long ago when it came out. i got a thing about 70s kids movies, obviously. since that's when i grew up.

Written By: san018 on 04/14/07 at 2:41 pm

return to witch mountian was on abc family @2 in the morning about a week ago...i had almost forgotten about it ..it had been so long since Id seen it

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/17/07 at 9:41 am

On the society website it said there are 4 Witch Mountain movies.  There are?

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 4:50 pm

On the society website it said there are 4 Witch Mountain movies.  There are?
escape to witch mountain (1975). return from witch mountain (1978). beyond witch mountain (1982). escape to witch mountain (made-for-t.v. remake) (1992).

i have the third one. it's dreadful. the fourth one is like the holy grail, totally impossible to find anywhere.

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 4:51 pm

oops, 1995.

Written By: La Roche on 04/19/07 at 5:33 pm

Yeah, I've never seen the third. I told you I watched the other two the other day.

I wanna find Bugsey Malone, I loved that movie.

Written By: KKay on 04/19/07 at 6:06 pm

wow. we really all need to live together on a compound.
and just make it constgantly 1974

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/07 at 6:25 pm

escape to witch mountain (1975). return from witch mountain (1978). beyond witch mountain (1982). escape to witch mountain (made-for-t.v. remake) (1992).

i have the third one. it's dreadful. the fourth one is like the holy grail, totally impossible to find anywhere.

Wow I missed the last two completely. Dreadful or not I might have to hit you up for a copy of beyond WM cuz I'm OCD like that gotta watch everything no matter how bad

wow. we really all need to live together on a compound.
and just make it constgantly 1974

I want it to be 78 that way we can rejoice with 74 and still have access to cool stuff like Chuck's Chicks.

Written By: KKay on 04/22/07 at 9:50 pm

Yeah, I've never seen the third. I told you I watched the other two the other day.

I wanna find Bugsey Malone, I loved that movie.

I didnt' know you were a fan; i almost have that whole film memorised...i could have acted it out for you!

Written By: Tia on 04/23/07 at 7:38 am

Wow I missed the last two completely. Dreadful or not I might have to hit you up for a copy of beyond WM cuz I'm OCD like that gotta watch everything no matter how bad

I want it to be 78 that way we can rejoice with 74 and still have access to cool stuff like Chuck's Chicks.
i didn't know about them until really recently. apparently with the third one they wanted to make it a weekly series, where tia and tony fight crime and are always a step ahead of rich villains who want to exploit their extraterrestrial gifts for money and power. but then the pilot ended up being so bad they bagged the idea. beyond WM was the pilot. i can totally hook you up with a copy, but i have to get my DVD recorder fixed.  :( as for the fourth one, i really have no idea. somebody sent me a press release saying disney was planning a bigbudget remake of escape to witch mountain, i mean like a 2000s version. but that was years ago, and they never made it. which is just as well, i don't think it would have much appeal now. the story is sorta too dark and depressing for modern disney, and the special effects -- just moving stuff around with no visible means of support, that was big-time special effects in the 70s but today it's no big shakes. they wouldn't really have much call for huge computer graphics so...

my year would be 1979, so i could watch moonraker again. i LOVED moonraker. that and buck rogers. i was a space shuttle buff.

Written By: La Roche on 04/23/07 at 10:06 am

I didnt' know you were a fan; i almost have that whole film memorised...i could have acted it out for you!

I'll allow that.

You can give me a show.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/26/09 at 7:55 pm

So...has anyone seen the previews for the new Witch Mountain movie that is coming out soon? I think it looks pretty good..I'll probably see it.

Written By: snozberries on 01/26/09 at 8:08 pm

So...has anyone seen the previews for the new Witch Mountain movie that is coming out soon? I think it looks pretty good..I'll probably see it.

I haven't seen the previews but I was planning on seeing it for two reasons

1) nostalgia.
2) I wanna see it so I'll know what Tia's talking about later!  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/26/09 at 8:11 pm

Race To Witch Mountain trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctz4-wo1xHI

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/26/09 at 8:28 pm

Kim Richards (Paris Hilton's Auntie) was in this movie. I loved her in "Nanny and the Professor". Classic 70's TV show.

Written By: Tam on 01/26/09 at 8:54 pm

I haven't seen the previews but I was planning on seeing it for two reasons

1) nostalgia.
2) I wanna see it so I'll know what Tia's talking about later!  ;D

I wanna see it because The Rock is in it!!! :P <- smiley is actually drooling! Mahaha

Written By: Tia on 01/26/09 at 9:34 pm

Kim Richards (Paris Hilton's Auntie) was in this movie. I loved her in "Nanny and the Professor". Classic 70's TV show.
does anything about me seem familiar?  ;)

so trailer. looks like they took some liberties with the original. like, BIG time. i'll probably just watch it as an action sci-fi thing, it looks like that's the take they took on it. but hey, yeah, the rock is cool, looks like they've got some matrix-y style stuff going, whatever. i have a feeling it'll be good fun but won't have the element that made the original such cult favorites among... well, me, mostly.

Check for new replies or respond here...