inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parodie Songs of the 70"s

Written By: Musicfan66 on 03/30/07 at 11:22 am

I have been trying to locate songs I have not heard since the mid 70's.  These songs were like interviews with lines from the popular songs of the day as the answer.  One of the song was about Watergate the other was an interview with the shark from Jaws.  They were on 45's.  Anyone have an idea where to find these? 

Subject: Re: Parodie Songs of the 70"s

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/07 at 3:51 pm

I have been trying to locate songs I have not heard since the mid 70's.  These songs were like interviews with lines from the popular songs of the day as the answer.  One of the song was about Watergate the other was an interview with the shark from Jaws.  They were on 45's.  Anyone have an idea where to find these? 

That series of records was originally recorded by Goodman & Buchanan.  They did "The Flying Saucer" parts 1 & 2, with "John Cameron Cameron".  This described a UFO landing, with the reporter having his questions answered by song clips.  They split up sortly afterwards, and Dickie Goodman continued to make such records until his death in 1989.

I do not know of Dickie Goodman did one on Watergate, but I know that National Lampoon did.  The Missing White House Tapes was a Grammy nominated 1973 record, which gave Richard Nixon a treatment similar to that from Goodmorning Vietnam.  A former room mate of mine was the engineer for that project, and still has pictures of him in the editing room, hand splicing together bits of ¼" tape to make the master copy.

There have been many releases of both Dickie Goodman's work, and those with Buchanan.  I used to have an old LP with them, and Dickie's son did a CD recently, including some he recently made.  Here is a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Fables-Dickie-Goodman/dp/B000001RO6

Written By: Paul on 03/30/07 at 4:21 pm

Not a 'Watergate' one (and also not a Dickie Goodman effort), but politically stanced all the same, was a record called 'Convention '72' by The Delegates...

I'm not sure if this has made it to CD...the copy I have is a 'needledrop' (although a very good one!)

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/07 at 4:40 pm

Not a 'Watergate' one (and also not a Dickie Goodman effort), but politically stanced all the same, was a record called 'Convention '72' by The Delegates...

I'm not sure if this has made it to CD...the copy I have is a 'needledrop' (although a very good one!)

OK, thanks.  I did not know about that one.

Written By: freeridemt on 04/01/07 at 11:47 am

He made quite a few novelty song's in the 70"S .  But his is another tragic ending, Goodman died in 1989 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
There are two albums put out by his family, All Time Novelty Hits and Dickie Goodman's Greatest Hits.

Watergate    1973
Energy Crisis '74     1974
Mr. Jaw's    1975

Written By: Snoopygirl on 04/12/07 at 8:17 pm

I only remember two songs by Dickie Goodman:

Mr Jaws
Mr President

Written By: freeridemt on 04/13/07 at 12:28 am

I only remember two songs by Dickie Goodman:

Mr Jaws
Mr President

Well according to Billboard Magazine, they have  Goodman as the #1 Novelty Artist of All Time.
2 Ray Steven.
3 Weird Al.
Now Vh-1 had Weird Al as 2 on their list a few years back. So take yer own pick as to who is what. :)

But I liked some of Ray Stevens parodies And for his serious side he won 2 Grammy awards for Everything is Beautiful in 1970 and his country version of Misty in 75.
My favorites by him are
The Streak.
Mississippi Squirrel Revival.
Shriner's Convention.
Indian Love Call.
Bridget the Midget (The Queen of the Blues).
Would Jesus Wear a Rolex.
Love Will Beat Your Brains Out.
It's Me Again, Margaret
Everything is Beautiful.

Written By: karen on 04/17/07 at 11:34 am

It's Me Again, Margaret

Wasn't that a book title (possibly by Judy Blume or a.n.other teenage author)?

Written By: Mushroom on 04/17/07 at 12:00 pm

Wasn't that a book title (possibly by Judy Blume or a.n.other teenage author)?

Close, her book was titled Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret.

My all-time favorite Ray Stevens songs is Ned Nostril (And His South Seas Paradise, Puts Your Blues On Ice, Cheap At Twice The Price Band--Ikky-Ikky, Ukky-Ukky).  In it, he does a very demented parody of the Johnny Cash style of country song.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002QIW001004/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_004/104-4469717-6876766

Written By: Tina Sumpman on 04/22/07 at 12:01 am

[/quote}

You want to try Time Life website. They have a series of music called "Have a nice Decade...the 70s" I have a 7 disc set that has many one-hit wonders on it.

Check for new replies or respond here...