inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Love Thy Neighbour....and other shows that wouldnt be aired these days.

Written By: Banks on 04/05/07 at 2:51 am

Does anyone remember this British TV show? I have four seasons on DVD at the moment and absolutely love it!!! Id forgotten just how funny this show actually was.

Now, to the reason why Im posting this...

A couple of years ago this show was aired on Australia's Foxtel. The day the show was aired Foxtel they got enough complaints that it was immediately taken off the air.

For those whove not seen this classic show, it is VERY racist, but in its racism it shows how the racist Eddie Booth is really an idiot. While the racism goes both ways, it is stronger and more prominent from the white protagonist.

I find it sad when political correctness can stop such a funny and, if you really watch the show, anti-racist show from being aired on TV. Because of this I seriously doubt that shows like Love Thy Neighbour and even Mind Your Language (another classic) will ever be shown again because do-gooders probably only saw a few minutes of the show and decided it was racist, when, in reality, if they really watched the show they wouldve realised that while on the surface it may seem racist, it is actually a very anti-racist program.

Its amazing how much tings have changed since the 1970's, and not all for the better.

Are there any other shows that wouldnt be aired on TV due to their content today?

AN

Subject: Re: Love Thy Neighbour....and other shows that wouldnt be aired these days.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/07 at 1:12 pm

I believe "Love Thy Neighbour" was also called "Good(e) Neighbours" (sometimes with or without the "e"). Isn't that about one couple who was trying to live self-suffiently while the other was trying to "keep up with the Jones'" so to speak? I also love "Mind Your Language". I used to watch that all the time. They TRIED to redo it in the U.S. under the title "What a Country" with Yakov Smirnoff and it just wasn't the same. The Brit-com was definately better.

Cat

Subject: Re: Love Thy Neighbour....and other shows that wouldnt be aired these days.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/07/07 at 9:18 am

I believe "Love Thy Neighbour" was also called "Good(e) Neighbours" (sometimes with or without the "e"). Isn't that about one couple who was trying to live self-suffiently while the other was trying to "keep up with the Jones'" so to speak? I also love "Mind Your Language". I used to watch that all the time. They TRIED to redo it in the U.S. under the title "What a Country" with Yakov Smirnoff and it just wasn't the same. The Brit-com was definately better.

Cat

Hi Cat

No, you're thinking of a show that was rightfully called "The Goode Life".

That was a show that would be allowed at any time.  Very funny and sacharrine sweet.

Alright Now was posting about a show that originated in 60's Britain, where an extremely bigoted white man (Eddie Booth) lived next to a West Indian man (Bill Reynolds), who in reality was just as bigoted.

The show was full of them trading insults such as "Nig-nog" and "Snowflake".

To watch it now it is very dated and makes yo ucringe, but at the time, you didn't give it a second thought  :o

As Alright is alluding to now, no TV station would dare air something new that followed such an approach...

If you are interested, there is a synopsis of the show from the BBC here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/l/lovethyneighbour_7774180.shtml

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/07/07 at 9:30 am

Does anyone remember this British TV show? I have four seasons on DVD at the moment and absolutely love it!!! Id forgotten just how funny this show actually was.

A couple of years ago this show was aired on Australia's Foxtel. The day the show was aired Foxtel they got enough complaints that it was immediately taken off the air.

For those whove not seen this classic show, it is VERY racist, but in its racism it shows how the racist Eddie Booth is really an idiot. While the racism goes both ways, it is stronger and more prominent from the white protagonist.

I find it sad when political correctness can stop such a funny and, if you really watch the show, anti-racist show from being aired on TV. Because of this I seriously doubt that shows like Love Thy Neighbour and even Mind Your Language (another classic) will ever be shown again because do-gooders probably only saw a few minutes of the show and decided it was racist, when, in reality, if they really watched the show they wouldve realised that while on the surface it may seem racist, it is actually a very anti-racist program.

Its amazing how much tings have changed since the 1970's, and not all for the better.

Unfortunately, this just highlights the negative impact of PC.  See below *

I am capable of making my own decisions.  I watched it as a child.  I did not grow up a racist.  I was then, and am now, able to tell right from wrong.

I hate the sanitising of the world I live in, I really do.

* Recently, the British Advertising Standards Board banned an Australian Tourism Billboard because they received a dozen complaints,or some such figure.  Umm, excuse me ?  Over 60 Million people live in Britain, but 12 made a difference ?

The broohaha ?  The word 'bloody'.  OMG  :o ::) ::) ::) ::)  Taken totally out of context for those dozen's worth of delicate sensibilities.  What a joke  ;D

And, as usual, all it has served to achieve is a bunch of FREE advertising for the organisation that got the advert banned.  I swear, we all live in Bizarro-world  :P

Written By: Paul on 04/07/07 at 10:13 am

I also remember 'Love Thy Neighbour' and 'Mind Your Language'...but you'll only ever see brief clips of these nowadays as part of some 'TV from hell' package...

And at some stage, 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' also got a bit of a caning, due to the fact that a white actor was cast as an Indian (the late Michael Bates as Rangi Ram)...

Written By: Tia on 04/07/07 at 10:17 am

i've always been struck with how shocking and offensive the premise of "hogan's heroes" was. a nazi pow camp! so hilarious!!!!!!! :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/07 at 11:26 am

Hi Cat

No, you're thinking of a show that was rightfully called "The Goode Life".

That was a show that would be allowed at any time.  Very funny and sacharrine sweet.

Alright Now was posting about a show that originated in 60's Britain, where an extremely bigoted white man (Eddie Booth) lived next to a West Indian man (Bill Reynolds), who in reality was just as bigoted.

The show was full of them trading insults such as "Nig-nog" and "Snowflake".

To watch it now it is very dated and makes yo ucringe, but at the time, you didn't give it a second thought  :o

As Alright is alluding to now, no TV station would dare air something new that followed such an approach...

If you are interested, there is a synopsis of the show from the BBC here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/l/lovethyneighbour_7774180.shtml

Thanks. I don't know why I can never remember the name of that show-and I used to watch it all the time.

Cat

Written By: Snoopygirl on 04/12/07 at 8:36 pm

I highly doubt that All in the Family could get on the air today.

Written By: Tina Sumpman on 04/22/07 at 12:10 am

Are there any other shows that wouldnt be aired on TV due to their content today?

AN
I also doubt the Sanford & Son or Chico and the Man would be aired today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/07 at 1:12 am

I also doubt the Sanford & Son or Chico and the Man would be aired today.
The UK comedy series Steptoe and Son which Sanford and Son was based on, is still boardcasted on UK TV

Written By: Colette on 04/27/07 at 12:48 am

Sure there is...All In The Family. That sit com of the late 60's and 70's was very racist. Very politically incorrect.

AN

Written By: Marian on 05/06/07 at 3:46 pm

isn;t that kind of like archie Bunker?
AN

Check for new replies or respond here...