inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Monks - chart information?

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/07 at 1:44 am

Can anyone give me any chart information on the British punk band The Monks

They had considerable success in Canada, but I am curious to know how well they did in their native UK ... and did they chart in America?  Other international chart findings are welcome also.  Here's what I got so far ...

ALBUMS
1979 - Bad Habits
1981 - Suspended Animation

SINGLES
1979 - Nice Legs, Shame About Her Face
1979 - Johnny B. Rotten
1979 - Drugs in My Pocket

Subject: Re: The Monks - chart information?

Written By: Paul on 04/08/07 at 3:17 am

'Fraid there's nothing else I can add to the above, Jason...

As far as US successes go, nothing breached the Hot 100...

Although the single barely scraped into our Top 20, the song's title became something of a catchphrase to many people...which became a little overused!

The Monks were Richard Hudson & John Ford, who were in the British band The Strawbs for a while in the 70s, before branching out as a duo and making some good stuff under the 'Hudson-Ford' name...

Subject: Re: The Monks - chart information?

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/07 at 4:21 am

Thanks for the info Paul! :)

I knew about The Strawbs and Hudson-Ford.  The Strawbs (like The Monks) were also one hitters in Canada with 'Part of the Union' which peaked at #48 in June '73

The thing I best remember about the Monks was the fact that they had a hit song about illegal narcotics from an album with a somewhat controversial sleeve.  What an inspiration to the record buying youth of 1979-80 ;D

http://shop.firstandbest.co.uk/wwr/images/strawbs/bad%20habits.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...