inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hong Kong Phooey/Groovie Ghoulies DVD

Written By: Snoopygirl on 04/12/07 at 8:23 pm

I was wondering: did anyone buy either of these dvds yet?  And if so, how are they? I was looking at them in the store this week and I was debating on buying them but I put it off for a while. I'll get both of them but I was just wondering how they were and if they were worth the $ for them.

Subject: Re: Hong Kong Phooey/Groovie Ghoulies DVD

Written By: Tia on 04/12/07 at 9:10 pm

wow. groovy ghoulies. tell ya what, i just threw disk 1 of GG on my netflix queue, i'll tell ya what i think. what are you after, like, if there's a lot of extras?

i was actually never that big on hong kong fooey, i probably just didn't like the theme song or something. if i hated a theme song forget it, the show was toast. i deprived myself of a lot of enjoyment of all in the family and MASH cuz of that... great shows, annoying as hell theme songs.

did you ever watch ARK II? i bet that's out now, i know it was coming out. also Isis is coming out, i believe.

Written By: KKay on 04/13/07 at 7:02 am

wow. i love them both.

hong kong phoooey IS number one superguy!

Written By: saver on 04/13/07 at 1:45 pm

Check out newsfromme.com  occassionally they post a you tube segment of old cartoons and memorable animated commercials..just saw little audrey! And old Capn Crunch..go through the archives tho to find them..ahhh the memories!

Written By: gemini on 04/13/07 at 9:33 pm

I haven't bought the DVD's, but after reading this I had to go find the Groovie Ghoulies theme song lyrics 'cause it was bugging the heck out of me! Whew, I feel much better now!  ;D Now I'll have that in my head all weekend!

Everybody shout!
Come on now, sing out!
It's time for the Goolies get-together
They got jokes for everybody
Join the Goolies,
They're gonna do their thing for you.
They're kinda strange,
They're real funny,
You'll be glad to know
They love you too!

Everybody shout!
Come on now, sing out!
It's time for the Goolies get-together

You're gonna see
How funny they can be
'Cause it's time for the Goolies get-together!

Written By: Snoopygirl on 04/17/07 at 9:20 pm

I went and bought Hong Kong Phooey today. I wasn't sure if it was remastered and the sound quality was good or bad, but I've watched the first disc and I'm happy. Now for The Groovie Ghoulies.  I'll get that next week.

Written By: spaceace on 04/17/07 at 11:10 pm

Oh, I love Hong Kong Phooey.  Kinda wish they'd get Funky Phantom out on DVD.

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 7:11 am

just threw in groovy ghoulies. i defeinitely remember the animation but the song totally sounds unfamiliar to me. guess i couldn't hear it from the crunch of the sugared cereal in my head.

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 4:49 pm

got back from work and threw it back in. omg, this music is so hilarious! i forgot they do the whole partridge family josie and the pussycats musical interlude thing. the 70s were the best.

Written By: KKay on 04/19/07 at 6:04 pm

man, i loved the number one superguy, hong kong phooey. i can't stop thinking about him.

and tia is right. the 70s were the best!

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 8:19 pm

who's that foxy babe who pops up every once in a while? they said her name was "hagitha," i thought? but i googled it and i got nothing.

i'm not talking about the vapirella chick, she's like real josie-and-the-pussycats lookin' but she's got white hair.

Written By: Southern Image on 04/20/07 at 10:29 am

The Groovie Ghoulies  8)

Written By: karen on 04/20/07 at 11:13 am

Hong Kong Phooey was a standard teatime cartoon in the UK during the 70s.

I don't really remember the Groovy Goolies but according to wikipedia they were shown as part of Banana Splits in the UK which would be Saturday morning tv.

Written By: Tia on 04/21/07 at 3:18 am

Hong Kong Phooey was a standard teatime cartoon in the UK during the 70s.

I don't really remember the Groovy Goolies but according to wikipedia they were shown as part of Banana Splits in the UK which would be Saturday morning tv.
i watched a few... well, i had em on in the background while i did other stuff, mostly... and to tell you the truth i didn't really remember em either. i got a kick out of the musical interludes and they do this laugh-in thing, although it's mostly not that funny. my favorite groovy ghoulies joke...

Girly Ghoul: Can you help me? My husband thinks he's a lawnmower.
Guyly Ghoul: Why don't you take him to see a psychiatrist?
Girly Ghoul: I can't, the neighbors already borrowed him.

c'mon! that's pretty good! most of the jokes aren't nearly as good as that. the music really is pretty fun, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...