inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dutch Top 40 in the 1970s (and 1960s) - Part One

Written By: Henk on 04/30/07 at 4:22 pm

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/TheCats2.JPG                              http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/earthandfire.JPG

The Cats                            Earth & Fire

Two Dutch bands that were very popular in The Netherlands, especially in the early 1970s.

The Cats were formed in 1962, and have a distinct sound that has become known as "Palingsound" or "Palingpop".
This five man band consisted of Piet Veerman, Cees Veerman, Jaap Schilder, Arnold Mühren and Theo Klouwer.
They scored a total of 30 Top 40 hits during the 1960s and 1970s, including 18 Top 10 hits.
Band split up in 1980, but rejoined in 1983 (only to split up for good two years later).

Songs in this topic:

Be My Day (1974, #1)
Marian (1969, #1)
One Way Wind (1971, #3)
Let's Dance (1972, #2)
Lea (1968, #1)

Earth & Fire started out as a symphonic rock group, but gradually changed to a more poppy sound.
The five man band consisted of Jerney Kaagman, Chris Koerts, Gerard Koerts, Harry Ziech and Cees Kales.
They scored 13 Top 40 hits in the 1970s, ten of which reached Top 10.
The band split up in 1984.     

Songs in this topic:

Memories (1972, #1)
Seasons (1970, #2)
Maybe Tomorrow, Maybe Tonight (1973, #3)
Weekend (1979, #1)

Subject: Re: Dutch Top 40 in the 1970s (and 1960s) - Part One

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/07 at 4:36 pm

Some good stuff Henk!

I really like that song 'Let's Dance' by The Cats.  Sounds pretty good :)

Written By: Henk on 04/30/07 at 4:50 pm

Some good stuff Henk!

I really like that song 'Let's Dance' by The Cats.  Sounds pretty good :)

I prefer Earth & Fire over The Cats anytime, but that's just me. I do like "Marian" and "Lea", though, for their excessive sentimentality, and I have to admit all songs have great orchestrations.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/30/07 at 5:12 pm

Can't say I've heard either  :-\\  My loss  :(

Did you know, the US had what was called a 'Dutch Invasion' from about 1970-1973?  A number of Dutch artists and bands found the US top 40 in this time period.  A few examples:

Shocking Blue - Venus
Tee Set - Ma Belle Amie
George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag
Mouth & MacNeal - How Do You Do
Focus - Hocus Pocus

Written By: Henk on 05/01/07 at 12:09 am

Can't say I've heard either  :-\\  My loss  :(

It would've surprised me if you had known of these bands, because as far as I know they had no hits abroad. That's the main reason I started this topic. ;)

Did you know, the US had what was called a 'Dutch Invasion' from about 1970-1973?  A number of Dutch artists and bands found the US top 40 in this time period.  A few examples:

Shocking Blue - Venus
Tee Set - Ma Belle Amie
Focus - Hocus Pocus

Yes, I did know about that. I'm very proud of what my little country has achieved over the past decades (well, proud of most of it, anyway).
But there's plenty of good stuff that never made it abroad, and that's why I'm dedicating a couple of threads to the subject (I've also done a Dutch Top 40 in the 1980s   thread in the past, tho' that one won't work anymore). Next project will be a more general look at Dutch Top 40 in the 1970s.

Written By: Paul on 05/02/07 at 6:55 am

Surprising that, for the relatively short stretch of water that separates us (and despite doing us the honour of recording in English), neither band had any modicum of success in England...

(There was a group called 'Cats' who charted in the UK in 1969, but that's another group entirely...)

Shocking Blue - Venus
Tee Set - Ma Belle Amie
Focus - Hocus Pocus

And of course, not forgetting the highly-respected 'Radar Love' by Golden Earring...

Written By: Lindee on 05/02/07 at 9:25 am

What about Golden Earring?  Everybody remembers Radar Love

Written By: karen on 05/02/07 at 10:17 am

And of course, not forgetting the highly-respected 'Radar Love' by Golden Earring...

What about Golden Earring?   Everybody remembers Radar Love

Maybe they were only successful outside The Netherlands?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/02/07 at 12:12 pm

What about Golden Earring?   Everybody remembers Radar Love

Wow, Golden Earring - I hadn't recalled their heritage as Dutch.  Cool!

Besides Radar Love, they also had a big US hit in the early 80's, called Twilight Zone.  (I looked them up)  :)

Written By: Henk on 05/02/07 at 1:43 pm

What about Golden Earring?   Everybody remembers Radar Love

Maybe they were only successful outside The Netherlands?

Besides Radar Love, they also had a big US hit in the early 80's, called Twilight Zone.  (I looked them up)   :)

Golden Earring is one of the most successful/popular Dutch bands (if not THE most successful/popular Dutch band) ever, both in their home country and abroad. They've had just under 50 Dutch Top 40 hits since 1965 (that includes 16 Top 5 hits).

I haven't mentioned them, because "everybody" already knows them. Maybe I should be doing a separate thread about them. 8)

Written By: Mushroom on 05/02/07 at 1:56 pm

Nigel Powers: All right Goldmember. Don't play the laughing boy. There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Goldmember: What? Take the fahza away! Dutch hater!

Sorry, I could not resist.  :D

I am a huge fan of Golden Earring.  Whenever I DJ I try to slip in Twilight Zone if I get a chance.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/09/07 at 9:59 pm

Besides Radar Love, they also had a big US hit in the early 80's, called Twilight Zone.  (I looked them up)   :)

I don't think Golden Earring were Dutch.  They were either from Holland or The Netherlands.  IN addition to Radar Love, they also had a minor hit in the '70s called "Candy's Going Bad".

They did kick butt in a major way though, no doubt about it.  8)

Written By: Henk on 05/10/07 at 12:07 am

I don't think Golden Earring were Dutch.  They were either from Holland or The Netherlands.

Golden Earring were/are Dutch (as in "from The Netherlands"), so what are you trying to say? ???

Written By: Paul on 05/10/07 at 6:50 am

Golden Earring were/are Dutch (as in "from The Netherlands"), so what are you trying to say? ???

Perhaps there's three different 'Golden Earrings'...

Or perhaps there's another two places called 'The Netherlands' under a different name!  :D

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/07 at 9:50 am

You should do a Golden Earring thread that would list all their hits in the NL.  There are lots of folks out there who don't know there was so much more to them than just 'Radar Love' and 'Twilight Zone'

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/11/07 at 2:25 pm

You should do a Golden Earring thread that would list all their hits in the NL.  There are lots of folks out there who don't know there was so much more to them than just 'Radar Love' and 'Twilight Zone'

I have an album of theirs (from the 90's if I recall correctly) entitled "The Continuing Saga of Radar Love".

Originally founded in 1981 as "The Golden Earrings", it took until 1973 and their blockbuster album "Moontan" for them to achieve success in America.

Here is a link to their story:  http://home.wanadoo.nl/casper.roos/story70.html
Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Earring

Written By: Henk on 05/14/07 at 12:31 am

I have an album of theirs (from the 90's if I recall correctly) entitled "The Continuing Saga of Radar Love".

Could be a 1990s album, not sure. It wasn't released in The Netherlands.

Originally founded in 1981 as "The Golden Earrings", it took until 1973 and their blockbuster album "Moontan" for them to achieve success in America.

You're a bit off there. Firstly, the band was formed in 1961 (not 1981), and they were called "The Tornadoes" back then. I don't know exactly when they changed it to Golden Earrings, but by December 1969 and the release of "Back Home" it was shortened to Golden Earring.

Here is a link to their story:  http://home.wanadoo.nl/casper.roos/story70.html
Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Earring

Haven't read those, but I'm sure they're pretty accurate.

Check for new replies or respond here...