inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Canadian Top 40 Hits of the 70s

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/07 at 8:25 pm

So you saw my 70s quiz and came here.  NO CHEATING! :P

This thread sort of died, so it never existed :(

Subject: Re: Canadian Hits of the 70s

Written By: Paul on 05/02/07 at 7:02 am

I certainly know some of the acts (and even some of the titles), but both together has me scratching my head...

'Fraid I can't listen to the montage right now, but will do at some point...

An honourable mention goes to Pagliaro, who did manage to crack the UK chart with the underrated 'Lovin' You Ain't Easy' in 1972...

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/07 at 3:14 pm

I certainly know some of the acts (and even some of the titles), but both together has me scratching my head...

'Fraid I can't listen to the montage right now, but will do at some point...

An honourable mention goes to Pagliaro, who did manage to crack the UK chart with the underrated 'Lovin' You Ain't Easy' in 1972...

I was surprised when I'd learned that was a Top 40 hit in the UK.  It's good to see he got some recognition outside of Canada 8) 
Pagliaro writes most of his songs in French, but for the few English language hits he had, he became the first ever Canadian Artist in Canada to recieve Gold records for hits in both languages. 

Written By: Henk on 05/04/07 at 4:12 pm

I was surprised when I'd learned that was a Top 40 hit in the UK.  It's good to see he got some recognition outside of Canada 8) 
Pagliaro writes most of his songs in French, but for the few English language hits he had, he became the first ever Canadian Artist in Canada to recieve Gold records for hits in both languages. 

Pagliaro nearly made the Dutch Top 40 too, with that song, but he got stuck in bubbling under section.
"What The Hell I Got" did absolutely nothing over here (not sure if it was even released over here).

And speaking of getting stuck in bubbling under section...

I already told you about Keith Hampshire and "First Cut Is The Deepest"...but I found yet another artist who got stuck in bubbling under section over here: The Cooper Brothers.
Not the song you've used in your compilation, but "The Dream Never Dies". Can't remember the tune, though... :-\\

Frank Mills, Patsy Gallant and the Stampeders had one Top 40 hit each over here (different songs from the ones you've used). The others all haven't had any form of success.
Some of the songs made the Dutch charts, though by other artists.

Thank you for this compilation. I enjoyed listening (although I probably won't be downloading any of the songs. 1970s...just not my decade  :()

I know the work involved in making this kind of topic. Karma to you as a token of my appreciation. 8)

Subject: Re: Canadian Top 40 Hits of the 70s

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/07 at 4:38 pm

I already told you about Keith Hampshire and "First Cut Is The Deepest"...but I found yet another artist who got stuck in bubbling under section over here: The Cooper Brothers.
Not the song you've used in your compilation, but "The Dream Never Dies". Can't remember the tune, though... :-\\

'The Dream Never Dies' was their only other Top 40 hit in Canada.  It's not really one of their best, but it's alright.  It became known in the US in a cover version by Country singer Bill Anderson

Frank Mills, Patsy Gallant and the Stampeders had one Top 40 hit each over here

Frank Mills with 'Music Box Dancer', Patsy Gallant with 'From New York to LA' and Stampeders with 'Sweet City Woman', i assume?

Thank you for this compilation. I enjoyed listening (although I probably won't be downloading any of the songs. 1970s...just not my decade  :()

I know the work involved in making this kind of topic. Karma to you as a token of my appreciation. 8)

Thanks Henk! :)

I know what you mean.  The 70s isn't really my decade either.  I'm more of an 80s man myself.  Speaking of which, I am going to do a part 2 of Canadian Hits of the 80s, and probably one from the 90s as well :)

Written By: Henk on 05/04/07 at 5:38 pm

Frank Mills with 'Music Box Dancer', Patsy Gallant with 'From New York to LA' and Stampeders with 'Sweet City Woman', i assume?

Yes, yes, and no - it was "Hit The Road Jack" (which even hit the Top 10). I used that tune in one of my quizzes, so I just assumed you'd remember. ;)

Thanks Henk! :)

I know what you mean.  The 70s isn't really my decade either.  I'm more of an 80s man myself.  Speaking of which, I am going to do a part 2 of Canadian Hits of the 80s, and probably one from the 90s as well :)

Looking forward to those! :)

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/07 at 9:22 pm

Yes, yes, and no - it was "Hit The Road Jack" (which even hit the Top 10). I used that tune in one of my quizzes, so I just assumed you'd remember. ;)

Dang, I must've missed that one :(  That's awesome that it hit the Top 10.  In the States, it was their second and last Top 40 hit, just scraping in at #40 i believe

Check for new replies or respond here...