inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Supertramp - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/07 at 4:56 am

Year 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1979 1979 1979 19801980198219831983 1985 1987 1988 1997

Song Title Dreamer Bloody Well Right Ain't Nobody But Me Give A Little Bit Dreamer The Logical Song Breakfast in America Goodbye Stranger Take the Long Way Home Dreamer <Live> Breakfast in America <Live> It's Raining Again My Kind of Lady Crazy Cannonball I'm Beggin' You Free As A Bird You Win, I Lose

UK #13 -- -- #29 -- #7 #9 #57 ------#26---- -- -- #95 --

US -- #35 -- #15 -- #6 -- #15 #10#15#62#11#31-- #28 -- -- --

CAN -- #49 #64#8#39#1--#6#4#1--#1--#30 #24 #73 -- #38

Subject: Re: Supertramp - Poll

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/07 at 10:56 am

Take The Long Way Home  is my favorite.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/02/07 at 11:09 am

Give a Little Bit, followed by Take the Long Way Home.

I appreciated Give a Little Bit even more after Gap used it in an ad campaign.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/02/07 at 11:20 am

Very good group!  8)

'Give A Little Bit' is my favorite...followed by 'The Logical Song' and 'Take The Long Way Home'...

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 05/02/07 at 11:23 am

This was a real tossup for me.  I love both "The Logical Song" and "Take The Long Way Home."  I finally chose the latter because, well, it's slower. 

Of course with "Cupid's Chokehold" by the Gym Class Heroes at #1 on the charts htis month, I've been humming "Breakfast in America" in my sleep.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/02/07 at 12:18 pm

Supertramp is excellent!  I picked "Logical Song".  But I was real close to picking "It's Raining Again". 

Other faves: "Bloody Well Right", "Dreamer", "Goodbye Stranger".  But I'm also quite fond of "Give A Little Bit", "Take The Long Way Home", and "Breakfast In America".

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/07 at 12:25 pm

Love 'em all!

Written By: wildcard on 05/02/07 at 3:49 pm

I cant pick a favorite.  I have the Breakfast In America cd and like a lot of those songs.  For words and music I like the Logical Song.

Written By: gemini on 05/02/07 at 4:48 pm

I chose Goodbye Stranger, but I also love most of the Breakfast In America album.

Written By: wildcard on 05/03/07 at 11:23 am

I chose Goodbye Stranger, but I also love most of the Breakfast In America album.

On my cd Goodbye Stranger is one of the songs

Written By: gemini on 05/03/07 at 3:01 pm

On my cd Goodbye Stranger is one of the songs

It's on mine too. I guess I phrased that wrong. I meant I like Goodbye Stranger, and most of the other songs on the CD.  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 05/04/07 at 8:21 am

1974 - Dreamer

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 05/04/07 at 9:00 am

Very hard pick for me. I narrowed it down to "Goodbye Stranger" and "It's Raining Again" and ended up going with the latter.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 05/04/07 at 9:07 pm

I voted for Take the Long Way Home.

Followed by

Give a Little Bit
and Other: Even in the quietest moments

Written By: zcrito on 05/07/07 at 11:03 pm

The Tramp "owned" parts of '70s. Especially summer 1979. They were very popular.

My favs

1975's Bloody Well Right -- A good FM radio station hit during the summer. I remember hearing it too while sitting in a convention center waiting for an Alice Cooper concert to start.

Summer of 1979 songs

The Logical Song
Breakfast in America
Goodbye Stranger
Take the Long Way Home -- the best of the group I always thought.

1980's Dreamer -- Dreamer live in Paris. Their last great song. I real standout during early Sep. of 1980.

Written By: whistledog on 05/07/07 at 11:13 pm

1980's Dreamer -- Dreamer live in Paris. Their last great song. I real standout during early Sep. of 1980.

I always found it odd how the original Dreamer never became a hit in the US, yet the live version went all the way to the US Top 20.  In the printed charts for Billboard, it isn't listed as a live version, probably to attract a wider audience to it.  If so, it sure worked

Written By: Rocket88 on 05/15/07 at 1:12 pm

I can't believe you left out the absolute classic Supertramp song.....School! ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/07 at 12:15 pm

Can't choose 1. I love:

The Logical Song
Dreamer
Take the Long Way Home
It's Raining Again
Breakfast in America
Bloody Well Right

I once did a dance to the song "Lord Is It Mine" (won a trophy  ;D ). I also started to choragraph a dance to the Logical Song-on pointe but never finished/preformed it.

Cat

Written By: JerryC on 05/18/07 at 1:52 pm

Supertramp's best is not even represented on this list. Crime Of The Century is by far their most creative and entertaining work. Your list contains only what I consider their "pop" songs.
Why not put Crime Of The Century, Asylum, Hide In Your Shell, Rudy, and School on your list?

Written By: whistledog on 05/18/07 at 2:05 pm

Supertramp's best is not even represented on this list. Crime Of The Century is by far their most creative and entertaining work. Your list contains only what I consider their "pop" songs.
Why not put Crime Of The Century, Asylum, Hide In Your Shell, Rudy, and School on your list?

I only put the charted singles between North America and the UK.  The poll wouldn't have enough options if I were to include all the non-charted ones lol

Written By: jaytee on 05/26/07 at 10:42 am

Other:  Even In The Quiestest Moments

Written By: KKay on 05/26/07 at 10:49 am

one of my all time fave bands.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/01/07 at 8:11 am

1977 - Give A Little Bit

But verrrry closely followed by Dreamer

Written By: whiteport on 06/07/07 at 4:12 pm

I really pretty much like all of Supertramps' stuff but if I was gonna pick one it'd be "Goodbye Stranger".

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 06/09/07 at 11:17 am

I like "Goodbye Stranger" that's a good song! And "Logical Song" too

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/10/07 at 10:58 pm

I picked Goodbye Stranger.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/07 at 2:09 am

Love them all, but ticked Breakfast in America

Written By: nally on 05/05/09 at 10:11 pm

When this poll was first created, I didn't know very many Supertramp songs. Now there are some that I actually like a great deal. In no particular order:

The Logical Song
Breakfast In America (later sampled in the chorus of "Cupids Chokehold" by Gym Class Heroes)
Take The Long Way Home
Goodbye Stranger

I think I'll just vote for "other", since I can't single out just one.

Written By: Midas on 05/05/09 at 11:31 pm

"Goodbye Stranger"

Written By: Frank on 05/06/09 at 12:37 am

My Favorite song is 'Hide in your shell" from the album "Crime of the century". I like the tune but more so the lyrics, which are powerful and speak to me.

If I had to chose another song, would be "The Logical song". As I may have mentioned once before, I bought the 45' and fell in love with the song and played over 100 times (in a row) on one day and drove my parents up the wall.

Check for new replies or respond here...