inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did the '70s have alot of "controversial" pop culture?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/23/07 at 8:54 am

I always saw the '50s and '60s as being the "original" controversial period. Many parents and conservative people were against Elvis, The Beatles/Rolling Stones, drugs and partying, etc. And the '80s sorta was the next period at least in pockets, with things like video games, heavy metal, malls, technology and the like being whipping boys from some adults in terms of what was wrong with the youth of the time.

However, I thought about it a little, and I don't remember hearing about this being quite as pervasive during the 1970s. I'm sure the dislike of modern things existed (although rock was pretty established and not exactly new, it was still the "rebellious" music - especially bands like KISS). However, since the initial shock value had dimmed a bit, the critics probably viewed it more as an annoyance as opposed to being end of the world-esque.

This is kinda surprising to me, since the decade was actually quite gritty and violent if you think about it (i.e. blood and guts, gratuitous sex and horror movies were HUGE then, and the late '60s casual use of marijuana and other harder drugs still kinda pervaded). They actually seem alot less innocent than the '80s do.

Subject: Re: Did the '70s have alot of "controversial" pop culture?

Written By: karen on 05/23/07 at 9:02 am

Well I think the punk culture was pretty controversial.

I expect the Glam Rock scene and all the gender confusion that went with it was pretty shocking to some people

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/23/07 at 9:14 am

True, I forgot about punk (although not mainstream, it had a huge impact on culture, and tended to be hardcore and anti-establishment). If you think about it, that and Disco were the last truly "new" new forms of music to come out. Even rap in a very primitive form existed in the late '70s.

Written By: Pink on 05/23/07 at 11:29 am

I think yes, like All in the Family. The 70s were like the 90s in their obsession with blood and guts. The 80s were controversial in the way kids acted but the media was more regulated than it was after 1992.

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/23/07 at 12:20 pm

Dunno, depends on how you think about it.

After the music, drugs, political upheaval and war and assassinations of the '60's, by the 70's the general public was pretty jaded to any one "controversial" thing.

Just what happened (other than Watergate) in the '70's that we didn't already experience or see in the 60's?  ???

Written By: loki 13 on 05/23/07 at 4:18 pm

If you want a 70's controversy on pop culture look no further than Studio 54. The ten years the night
club was open is was shrouded in controversy; from the sexual encounters to drug use, Studio 54 had
it all.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/24/07 at 3:49 pm

Sure there was controversy.  I agree with some of the other posters that the 60's were more controversy-ridden than the 70's.  Despite that, here are a few controversial areas:

- Women's rights progressed like gangbusters in the 70's, was in many ways controversial

- Still plenty work to do in race relations overall; plus, mixed race M/F relationships were less common, thus controversial

- Anything having to do with homosexuality

- The "legalize marijuana" debate was controversial

Add to that, the so called "Sexual Revolution" reached its peak in the 70's due to a few specific factors from that time - it by its very nature was controversial

Written By: karen on 05/25/07 at 5:42 am

True, I forgot about punk (although not mainstream, it had a huge impact on culture, and tended to be hardcore and anti-establishment).

How do you define mainstream?  In the UK at least punk music and punks themselves were everywhere.

Written By: Gis on 05/25/07 at 9:31 am

How do you define mainstream?  In the UK at least punk music and punks themselves were everywhere.
It was nowhere near as big in America, neither was Glam Rock. These were both huge and controversial in the U.K so you and I would think straight away of them in context with the question.

Written By: karen on 05/25/07 at 10:27 am

It was nowhere near as big in America, neither was Glam Rock. These were both huge and controversial in the U.K so you and I would think straight away of them in context with the question.

Exactly.  So people that complain about posts in other threads being "exclusive" should either specify they meant in the US or except that the members here are not only US based

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/26/07 at 8:09 am

Exactly.  So people that complain about posts in other threads being "exclusive" should either specify they meant in the US or except that the members here are not only US based

Hear hear !

Back on the question, I remember my mother saying that David Bowie was "pure evil"  :P  Good grief  ;D

Written By: ralfy on 03/29/16 at 11:53 pm

"Happy Birthday Punk: the British Library celebrates 40 years of anarchy and innovation"

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/mar/13/punk-1976-1978-british-library-40th-anniversary-sex-pistols-buzzcocks

Check for new replies or respond here...