inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nick Gilder

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/07 at 2:41 pm

Nick Gilder is a British born Canadian singer who got his start in the mid 70s as lead singer for the Glam-rock band Sweeney Todd. 

http://www.vh1.com/shared/media/images/sn_legacy/addict/AMG_images/artists/P05173.JPG

Sweeney Todd became a smash success, scoring two Top 40 hits, the latter 'Roxy Roller' which topped the Canadian charts.  This attracted the attention of Chrysalis Records, who lured Gilder away into a solo career almost instantly ('Roxy Roller' left the chart in August '76; His debut solo single entered the chart October '76).  In 1977, 'Roxy Roller' won the Juno Award (Canada's version of the Grammy) for "Best Selling Single".  Though Gilder had no American success with Sweeney Todd, two re-releases of 'Roxy Roller' featuring new vocalists both became minor chart hits in the US

In 1978, Gilder broke the US market when 'Hot Child in the City' hit #1 on the Billboard Charts.  Subsequent releases performed well in Canada, but failed to give him a second US Top 40 hit, thus branding him a one hit wonder.  In 1979, Gilder won the Juno Awards for "Most Promising Male Vocalist of the Year" and "Best Selling Single" for 'Hot Child in the City'

In the 80s, he turned to songwriting for other artists, and scored his biggest hit as a songwriter in 1984 with 'The Warrior' (which he co-write with Holly Knight) by Scandal featuring Patty Smyth which hit #7 in the US and topped the chart in Canada

Sweeney Todd
1976 - Sweeney Todd Folder
1976 - Roxy Roller

Nick Gilder
1976 - She's A Star (in Her Own Right)
1978 - Hot Child in the City
1978 - Here Comes the Night
1979 - (You Really) Rock Me
1985 - Let Me In
1986 - Footsteps

Subject: Re: Nick Gilder

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/28/07 at 3:09 pm

Hot Child in the City,  love it and he co-wrote 'The Warrior'  :o  I did not know that.    that's another cool song 

Written By: KKay on 05/29/07 at 1:47 pm

I love "hot child in the city'
I play it all the time.

Written By: zcrito on 05/29/07 at 7:13 pm

1978 - Hot Child in the City

That's all I've ever heard by him.
(or at least what I remember or can recall)

Check for new replies or respond here...