inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "CHiPs"

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/07 at 10:50 pm

Anyone else like "CHiPs"?  It was a cop show starring Larry Wilcox (as Jon Baker) and Erik Estrada (as Frank "Ponch" Poncharello) as California Highway Patrol officers on Motorcycles.  It ran for 6 seasons (1977-1983)

The Season 1 DVD set was released last week (May 29, 2007) and I was super excited to get this.  I used to be glued to the TV when this show was on.  The acting on "CHiPs" was typical 70s TV, but the story lines were great!  The one thing that used to amaze me was when they'd show shots of the California highways, there are so many off and on ramps and highways that go in every direction, I wonder how people ever remember which ramps to take lol

On the DVD set, there is a feature called "Ponch's Police Tips" where Estrada reminisces on select episodes.  In one segment, he talks about a scene where Ponch and Jon pull into a gas station (where you can see the gas is 60.9 a gallon) and he's like "Notice the price of gas.  Yer never gonna see that again" ;D

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/chips-1.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/chips-2.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/chips-3.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/chips-4.jpg

Subject: Re: "CHiPs"

Written By: nally on 06/07/07 at 12:43 am

I sorta remember watching reruns of it on TV during the 80's. What I remember most about it is that many of the scenes were filmed pretty close to where I grew up (the northeast San Fernando Valley, which is part of Los Angeles).

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/07/07 at 12:09 pm

I used to love the show!!  I haven't seen it in years.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/07/07 at 1:54 pm

I used to watch it all the time when it first came out!  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/08/07 at 8:13 am

Yeah, it used to be on a lot here as well.  There's something about Erik Estrada's teeth that made me wanna punch them in though  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/07 at 3:53 pm

Yeah, it used to be on a lot here as well.  There's something about Erik Estrada's teeth that made me wanna punch them in though  ;D ;D ;D

He does have big horse teeth ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/09/07 at 1:31 am

Was the speed limit in California 35 mph back then?  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: snozberries on 06/09/07 at 8:10 am

The one thing that used to amaze me was when they'd show shots of the California highways, there are so many off and on ramps and highways that go in every direction, I wonder how people ever remember which ramps to take lol

Everytime I drive the 405 to get to Beverly Hills I have to tell myself I am driving South I want to go left so I take the East exit NSEW  yeah sadly I have to repeat it several times to make sure I am doing it right.  But somehow I manage to get where I am going. 

I work for a Police department in Santa Barbara and we use what they call 10 and 11 codes. Some of the same codes CHP uses. When I started training I would watch CHiPs and listen to the radio traffic it helped me learn some of the codes. Of course they mostly used the 11-81 (traffic accident) or 11-85 (req for a tow truck)  codes but still it was cool... 

My favorite episode is the one called 11-99. This is the distress call that CHP uses for Officer Down.  In the episode there was a new dispatcher who SUCKED (I can say that cuz I am a dispatcher) and the Chippies were wearing these beepers that would go off if the officer was prone for a certain amount of time. Grossie was out chasing a dog and he fell and the pager went off. Of course the lady paniced. I use it in training as an example of how not to act in an emergency situation!

Written By: Cloudburst on 06/09/07 at 3:26 pm

He does have big horse teeth ;D

I remember my mother saying how sexy she thought Erik Estrada was, and I about lost my Ovaltine!!!
He is weird-looking, and so are his horse teeth.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/13/07 at 3:23 am

I so loved CHiPs when I was a kid.
I seriously wanted to be a motorcycle cop when the series was hot!

Hot studs, riding their motorized horse, picking up California hotties and busting the bad guys, who didn't want to be Ponch and John?

I remember when I finally moved to southern California in the mid 90's, I was looking all over for the CHiPies on motorbikes but didn't see any. Not even any CHiP patrol cars, after seeing them on TV so often I thought they would be everywhere, I was heartbroken to find they are a rare sight for regular surface street LA city/county dwellers. 

And to think, they now ride...gulp, BMW's.
CHiPies on bimmers, how image deflating... :(

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 06/13/07 at 4:09 pm

I luv that show. :)

Written By: snozberries on 06/15/07 at 7:58 am

I so loved CHiPs when I was a kid.
I seriously wanted to be a motorcycle cop when the series was hot!

Hot studs, riding their motorized horse, picking up California hotties and busting the bad guys, who didn't want to be Ponch and John?

I remember when I finally moved to southern California in the mid 90's, I was looking all over for the CHiPies on motorbikes but didn't see any. Not even any CHiP patrol cars, after seeing them on TV so often I thought they would be everywhere, I was heartbroken to find they are a rare sight for regular surface street LA city/county dwellers. 

And to think, they now ride...gulp, BMW's.
CHiPies on bimmers, how image deflating... :(

You must have been looking in the wrong areas... they are all over Highway 101.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/15/07 at 11:19 am

You must have been looking in the wrong areas... they are all over Highway 101.

Mostly they seem to stay away or have a lower profile around urban LA (I moved to Pasadena in '95, and they were scarce).

Funny, just took a trip up the 101 to San Louis Obispo (Madonna Inn, Hearst Castle) and only saw one CHP crusier, w/radar, I was doing 75. He wasn't even interested. ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/15/07 at 12:41 pm

Last night when I was driving home from work I was followed for a little while by a Kansas City P.D. motorcycle cop.  He was on a Kawasaki (the KCPD also uses Harleys as well) and apparently the design hadn't changed much since the early 80's because his bike still looked quite similar to the ones Ponch and John rode (aside from the paint scheme).

About 12 years ago I worked at the Kawasaki plant in Lincoln, Nebraska. They had several different assembly lines (for JetSkis, ATV's, and motorcycles), and I can remember seeing a few of the police bikes on the motorcycle line. (I guess Kawasaki quit making police motorcycles in 2005.)

http://www.motordoctor.net/assets/images/a_police_2.jpg

Written By: statsqueen on 06/19/07 at 7:58 pm

I used to love CHiPs.  My mom thought Erik Estrada was cute, but I was in love w/ Brodie Greer (Officer Barry "Bear" Baricza).

Written By: Davester on 06/20/07 at 3:16 am

Never got into CHiPs.  Dunno why...

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/21/07 at 1:25 am

Did anyone ever hear of the rumor that they were going to put the old, short run Abe Vigoda sitcom "Fish" on as a lead into this show?
I bet they would of been great together!  :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/21/07 at 2:00 am

Never got into CHiPs.  Dunno why...
Beats me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they tried to cast Donny Most (Ralph Malph) as a satanic rock star.  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/08 at 10:57 pm

Coming to a store near you the first Tuesday in June ...

http://www.literaryillusions.com/photos/chipsseason2.jpg

"CHiPs" - Season 2.  I can hardly wait!

and of course, this set contains more police tips from Ponch, where Estrada reminisces about select episodes

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/25/08 at 1:26 am

I liked watching the reruns on TV in the 80's and 90's. Great that they're releasing Season 2.  :)

Written By: Lindee on 05/25/08 at 11:08 am

Three things I remember about that show:
They always had these dramatic looking rollover car crashes
The disco sounding theme music
Erik Estrada's white teeth

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/28/08 at 4:07 pm

Oh, no...here it is: Ralph Malph, devil rocker!!! ::) ::) ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYf0ByjfEDo

I can't help but think that this was intentionally supposed to be funny.

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/08 at 8:35 am

I am loving "CHiPs" Season 2.  One episode features Danny Bonaduce and Christopher Knight as car thieves ;D

Written By: ninny on 06/06/08 at 9:51 am

I use to watch CHIPS every Saturday night,I remember watching that and Emergency :)

Written By: cinnabon on 06/06/08 at 4:09 pm

Last week I saw a rerun of Password Plus with another actor from Chips, Robert Pine, dressed up in his uniform as Sgt Joe Getraer (am I spelling that correctly) and he looked pretty good in it too. Of the two main characters I think Larry Wilcox is way sexier than Erik Estrada IMO.

(BTW AL-B, I love that little picture you have posted there of Dubya being locked in that room by the two laughing puppets - that is hysterical!  ;D)

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/20/08 at 7:50 am

I always watched it but laughed at the cheesy car crashes as the empty cars jumped ramps into one & other
led me to believe "Ghosts Shouldn't Drive Cars"
Other than that they did try to keep it believable..
The rumors came late in the series about Ponch & John not liking to be in each others company...But that happens with a lot of acts!
Its said Kawasaki sold a ton of Z-1000s during that time!
& how odd that many of the shows actors were carrear finnished after the show ended!
Erick did the best of all of them!

I also watched Emergency...Where if you got a bloody nose or a leg amputation they administered "wringers Lactate with a d5w drip" ;D ;D ;D

Written By: nally on 12/29/13 at 1:57 pm

The opening theme...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKdayl7BHM

I wonder if the whole series is available on DVD yet?

Written By: warped on 12/29/13 at 2:35 pm

The opening theme...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKdayl7BHM

I wonder if the whole series is available on DVD yet?

You can check amazon or other sites if it is available yet.

Written By: nally on 12/29/13 at 3:07 pm

You can check amazon or other sites if it is available yet.

Of course!

I was just thinkin' about it the other day...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/13 at 11:00 am

I liked "Chips", I wished more were made.

Written By: robby76 on 12/30/13 at 11:49 pm

Of the 6 seasons, the first 2 are out on dvd. It was definitely a staple show growing up.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbb1nUOiEL5uc62487Q18hGtHM52TbF2QisHpG4RDGZD32Fue4

Written By: Howard on 12/31/13 at 6:55 am

When was CHiPs last run on the air?

Written By: warped on 12/31/13 at 7:11 am

I remember when SCTV did a funny sketch:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/706/barney1199358248_1.jpg http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjM0Nzg2NzI0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTIxMDQzMQ@@._V1._SX304_SY429_.jpg

Fish and Chips

:D

Written By: snozberries on 12/31/13 at 8:21 pm

When was CHiPs last run on the air?

Originally or in re-runs... the last time I remember seeing it was in 1997 or 98 on TBS. It used to air about 6am and I would watch it while getting ready for class or work.

there was a reunion movie done in 99 (according to imdb it was 1998)  it was called CHiPs '99

Also...there seems to be a CHiPs movie in development... I'm guessing it'll be crappy like 21 Jumpstreet...I know some people liked it but not me...

Written By: Howard on 01/01/14 at 3:30 pm

Also...there seems to be a CHiPs movie in development... I'm guessing it'll be crappy like 21 Jumpstreet...I know some people liked it but not me...

When can Hollywood just leave stuff in the past?  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/14 at 7:42 pm

When can Hollywood just leave stuff in the past?  ::)

they can't....

I read last night that Top Gun 2 has been given a green light.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/02/14 at 7:12 am

they can't....

I read last night that Top Gun 2 has been given a green light.  ;D

Oh Geez!  ::) What's next a Risky Business remake?

Written By: warped on 01/02/14 at 7:23 am

Oh Geez!  ::) What's next a Risky Business remake?

Well, now that Bieber has quit singing, acting is his next move. Perfect role for him.

:-\\    :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 8:45 pm

Well, now that Bieber has quit singing, acting is his next move. Perfect role for him.

:-\\    :D

HEY  >:( >:( >:(

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/14 at 8:47 pm

Last I heard about that, Wilmer Valderamma was set to play Ponch.  I thought that sounded pretty good. 

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 8:50 pm

Last I heard about that, Wilmer Valderamma was set to play Ponch.  I thought that sounded pretty good.

I do like Wilmer

Written By: Howard on 01/03/14 at 7:18 am

I do like Wilmer

Hope he can pull off a good Poncho without his Fez voice getting in the way.

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/14 at 9:03 pm

Hope he can pull off a good Poncho without his Fez voice getting in the way.

he doesn't sound like Fez in real life...he has a normal voice

Written By: Paul on 01/03/14 at 11:11 pm

Saturday early evening staple after the sports results - it was either this or bloody Grizzly Adams...

Didn't really get into it, myself...all cop shows paled alongside 'The Sweeney' by this time!

Theme tune was good, though...

Written By: Howard on 01/04/14 at 3:29 pm

Why did it end in 1983? ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/14 at 4:19 pm

Why did it end in 1983? ???

Because NBC wanted to make room for new shows. And it wasn't doing well in the ratings any longer.

Written By: nally on 12/02/14 at 11:31 am

It has been recently announced that the third season will finally make its way to DVD, come March 2015:

http://chips-tv.com/wiki/%22CHiPs%22:_The_Complete_Third_Season

Meanwhile, the reruns can now be seen on the television network Me-TV.

Written By: nally on 09/25/15 at 11:19 pm

Since MeTV started showing the reruns, I have been watching them a little more regularly, often times looking to spot various filming locations (in fact, it has sorta helped me figure out when, approximately, certain freeway sections opened to the public), but also to see what goes on in each episode.

Written By: snozberries on 09/26/15 at 2:38 am

I just saw an ad for chips featuring key guest stars from the show.  I was shocked to learn Bryan Cranston had been in an ep lol

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/26/15 at 3:16 am

I loved ChiPs.

The guy that played the sargaent, is the father of Chris Pine (who has seen some success in movies such as Star Trek - He plays Cpt. Kirk, and Unstoppable (which was filmed in my hometown.)

I always wanted to meet Eric Estrada, to thank him for doing a Public Service Announcement (in the early 80s) about being molested.  I was being molested by an elderly neighbor who had me petrified, and I could not bring myself to tell my mom UNTIL one day I was so upset, I came home crying and couldn't talk for 10 minutes...Eric's PSA came on the television, and I was able to point at it to my mom (who kinda got the picture, but not the depth of what was happening to me.)  She was able to stop it from happening anymore, but for some unknown reason, we still had to go to this neighbor's house (even after I told her.)  ::) ??? 8-P

Written By: snozberries on 09/26/15 at 9:49 am

I loved ChiPs.

The guy that played the sargaent, is the father of Chris Pine (who has seen some success in movies such as Star Trek - He plays Cpt. Kirk, and Unstoppable (which was filmed in my hometown.)

I always wanted to meet Eric Estrada, to thank him for doing a Public Service Announcement (in the early 80s) about being molested.  I was being molested by an elderly neighbor who had me petrified, and I could not bring myself to tell my mom UNTIL one day I was so upset, I came home crying and couldn't talk for 10 minutes...Eric's PSA came on the television, and I was able to point at it to my mom (who kinda got the picture, but not the depth of what was happening to me.)  She was able to stop it from happening anymore, but for some unknown reason, we still had to go to this neighbor's house (even after I told her.)  ::) ??? 8-P

That sux patty... Especially having to continue going there. At least she got it to stop.

Much like cr and hugs coming your way!  :-*

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/15 at 7:33 pm

I saw actor Michael Pena on Jimmy Kimmel Live! and he said CHiPs the movie is set to start filming.  He will play Ponch and Dax Shepard (who is also directing the film) will play Jon Baker.

Check for new replies or respond here...