inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poll - Favourite Canadian Hits of the 70s

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/07 at 4:52 pm

"Yes Virginia, Rick James, Heart and Long John Baldry qualified as Canadian artists"  :o

There is an other option, so If I may have missed a song or two, then it's your fault for not being able to pick 10 favourites out of 121 songs ;D

NOTE: 'Barracuda', 'Straight On' and 'Dog & Butterfly' by Heart did not qualify as Canadian, which is why they are not seen in the poll
NOTE:  Both 'Get Up and Boogie' by Freddie James and 'Peter Piper' by Frank Mills spanned into 1980

Subject: Re: Poll - Favourite Canadian Hits of the 70s

Written By: nally on 06/08/07 at 5:04 pm

Boy...so many to choose from! :o

To start with, however, I think I would definitely select "American Woman", "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet", and anything by Gordon Lightfoot. I'm not gonna place my vote yet, however.

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/07 at 5:11 pm

A very tough choice for me, but here goes ...

Bongo Rock - Incredible Bongo Band
Could You Ever Love Me Again - Gary and Dave
Last Kiss - Wednesday
The Homecoming - Hagood Hardy
A Little Lovin' (Keeps the Doctor Away) - The Raes
(Boogie Woogie) Dancin' Shoes - Claudja Barry
Dancer - Gino Soccio
Peter Piper - Frank Mills
Sweet Lui-Louise - Ironhorse
You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling - Long John Baldry and Kathi MacDonald

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/07 at 5:13 pm

Boy...so many to choose from! :o

I was gonna split this into multiple polls, but I didn't want to seem like i was spamming (LOL), so I made it one gigantic poll. Not only is it a space saver, but it really gets ya thinking lol

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/09/07 at 4:10 am

Excellent

Hard work, but here goes :)

1970 | Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor

1970 | If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot

1971 | Signs - Five Man Electrical Band

1972 | Last Song - Edward Bear

1973 | Could You Ever Love Me Again - Gary and Dave

1973 | The First Cut is the Deepest - Keith Hampshire  (Keith's version racks ALL OVER those by Cat Stevens or Rod Stewart)

1974 | Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell

1974 | Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot

1974 | You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - Bachman-Turner Overdrive

1976 | The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot

Firstly, I see I gravitated to the earlier stuff.  Secondly, I see there are three Gordon Lightfoot songs.  There ya have it ;)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/10/07 at 9:36 pm

Wow, that was tough!  :D  Good question, though.  A lot of music to get my hands around.

Here's the ten I picked (not all on the list):

1970 The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down - The Band (I just HAD to have the Band in my list  ::))
1970 No Time - Guess Who
1971 Signs - Five Man Electrical Band
1972 Old Man - Neil Young
1972 You Could Have Been A Lady - April Wine
1973 Wildflower - Skylark
1974 Free Man in Paris - Joni Mitchell
1974 Let it Ride - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
1975 Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot
1976 Magic Man - Heart

Whew!  :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/07 at 9:52 pm

1970 The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down - The Band (I just HAD to have the Band in my list  ::))

For a second, I thought I missed including that in the poll, but then I realized why I didn't.  It was a hit in 1969 lol

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/10/07 at 10:58 pm

Half my choices came out in 1974. And also half my choices were Gordon Lightfoot, 3 were BTO, 1 was The Guess Who and 2 were April Wine.

Written By: zcrito on 06/11/07 at 11:40 pm

"Favourite Canadian Hits of the 70s." When I saw that I assumed it would be Canadian artists only. I saw Rick James in the list and thought, "Rick James was from Canada? -- I didn't know that!". Super Freak. Never mind...

I went with only 5 for tonight

1970 | If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
1970 | Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Neil Young
1974 | Carefree Highway - Gordon Lightfoot
1974 | Help Me - Joni Mitchell
1979 | Hold On - Triumph

(Hmmm...almost all are Canadian. Where's Joni Mitchell from?)

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/07 at 12:02 am

"Favourite Canadian Hits of the 70s." When I saw that I assumed it would be Canadian artists only. I saw Rick James in the list and thought, "Rick James was from Canada? -- I didn't know that!". Super Freak. Never mind...

Rick James had the same deal as Heart.  He lived in Canada for a number of years, where he started his music career.  This got him recognized by CanCon as a Canadian Artist.  It's strange, but true lol
None of his efforts after the 70s are Canadian

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/12/07 at 2:00 pm

So many good ones!  8)

I chose mostly Gordon Lightfoot songs, as that's what I grew up listening to... :)

Written By: Paul on 06/12/07 at 2:42 pm

Hm...I'm guessing that two of those R. Dean Taylor songs are actually from the 60s ('Gotta See Jane' and 'Ghost In My House')...

No matter, as they're both fine songs!

As are a lot of songs from this list...

I'm also guessing that April Wine's 'You Could Have Been A Lady' is a cover of Hot Chocolate's original (which wasn't such a fine song!)

And I didn't see this one listed (it may have only been a British hit), but 'Rag Mama Rag' by The Band is worthy of a mention...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/12/07 at 2:50 pm

For the record, these are the ones I picked...

If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
Share The Land - The Guess Who
Signs - Five Man Electrical Band
Danny's Song - Anne Murray
Carefree Highway - Gordon Lightfoot
Rock Me Gently - Andy Kim
Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot
Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Music Box Dancer - Frank Mills

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/07 at 3:08 pm

Hm...I'm guessing that two of those R. Dean Taylor songs are actually from the 60s ('Gotta See Jane' and 'Ghost In My House')...

Ghost in My House was a 60s song yes.  First released to the UK in 1974.  It never charted at all in Canada :o
Gotta See Jane was also a 60s hit, but in some markets, it saw a re-chart in 1970

I'm also guessing that April Wine's 'You Could Have Been A Lady' is a cover of Hot Chocolate's original (which wasn't such a fine song!)

Yessir.  The Hot Chocolate original did nothing over here

And I didn't see this one listed (it may have only been a British hit), but 'Rag Mama Rag' by The Band is worthy of a mention...

I totally forgot that one was big in the UK.  I combed the US chart, and saw it out of reach from the Top 40, so I never thought to include it

Written By: Paul on 06/12/07 at 4:30 pm

Ghost in My House was a 60s song yes.  First released to the UK in 1974.  It never charted at all in Canada :o

Probably because 'Ghost' was part of that wholly-British phenomenon called 'Northern Soul'...

Northern Soul encompassed a whole range of (mostly unsuccessful) records from the late-60s which were favoured by the soul fans from the North of England...it didn't have to be Motown, but if it sounded like it, then fine!

And of course, the more obscure it was, the better...but the Northern Soul crowd would promptly 'disown' it if it became popular and charted!

Gotta See Jane was also a 60s hit, but in some markets, it saw a re-chart in 1970

First charted in Britain in 1968, but re-charted in '74 due to the success of 'Ghost'...

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 06/13/07 at 4:50 pm

I like Sometimes When We Touch.

Check for new replies or respond here...