inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Miss the Days when the Bee Gees Were 3

Written By: blognroll on 06/21/07 at 5:27 pm

I know the Bee Gees got typecast as disco ducks, but they were great songwriters before disco came along, and even there disco was pretty good stuff. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I miss the days:

When the Bee Gees were 3
Dr BLT (c) 2007
http://www.drblt.net/music/beegees.mp3

Subject: Re: I Miss the Days when the Bee Gees Were 3

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/22/07 at 8:05 am

Oh man

Their stuff pre-disco was far and away superior to that which followed...

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/22/07 at 12:01 pm

Oh man

Their stuff pre-disco was far and away superior to that which followed...

I'm familiar with most of their music, pre-disco and beyond. Was just listening to 'Spirits having flown'..... they churned out great music before and after. In a way, it was surprising how they shifted to those high falsettos, and had a second coming (when their day seemed gone). I had one of their pre-disco albums about 'paper mache'; 'sweet songs of summer'; 'sea of smiling faces' 'you know it's for you (great!); etc; you (Fuss) probably know the album I mean ('Life in a tin can?').

I think Maurice was the least significant Bee Gee in the sense that I can hardly recall any solos from him, although the other 2 had singles/featured prominently. Nevertheless, he was obviously a vital cog, and they abandoned the 'Bee Gees' after his passing. I've always loved good harmonies/melodies etc; and even though they've been parodied by the 'Heebeegeebees' as singing 'meaningless songs in very high voices' .... well, I'd prefer to listen to that then the moronic/ unmelodious  droning of a lot of rap / punk etc;

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/22/07 at 2:46 pm

I loved all of their work, and I was so sad when I'd heard that Maurice had passed away at such a young age... :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/07 at 2:59 pm

The pre-1975 music of the Bee Gees has been a part of my single and married life, the music is always been played at home or in the car when driving. I never saw them live in concert, but when on television we would watch them. The day Maurice died was sad one for us, a day we all remember.

Written By: mandamoo on 06/23/07 at 8:24 am

I was fortunate enough to get to see them live in 2000.

The only drawback was that it was such a big venue, it was virtually impossible to make them out on stage - even with binoculars  :o

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/23/07 at 8:25 am

I'm familiar with most of their music, pre-disco and beyond. Was just listening to 'Spirits having flown'..... they churned out great music before and after. In a way, it was surprising how they shifted to those high falsettos, and had a second coming (when their day seemed gone). I had one of their pre-disco albums about 'paper mache'; 'sweet songs of summer'; 'sea of smiling faces' 'you know it's for you (great!); etc; you (Fuss) probably know the album I mean ('Life in a tin can?').

I know the one !

I should probably clarify a bit.

I suspect my initial response in this thread may have been a bit of a knee-jerk reaction.  The pre-disco Bee Gees remain unknown to a number of people - and that pings me off - they are not aware there WERE Bee Gees for at least a good 10 years prior.  Some of their stuff from then was magical.

It's not that I didn't like their disco and later stuff.  Though Jive Talkin' leaves me a bit cold.

Also, as an Aussie the Bee Gees hold a special place, they were one of the first groups to do well back in Britain, following the Seekers and the Easybeats, I believe.  Added to that, they were Redcliffe boys (yes yes, I know they were originally from England, but they got kicked out...) and Redcliffe is about 20 mins from where I now live :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/07 at 8:40 pm

The Bee Gees sure did have some good songs in their pre-disco era.  I love 'To Love Somebody' and 'New York Mining Disaster 1941' :)

The Bee Gees wrote one of my favourite 80s songs:  'Chain Reaction' by Diana Ross

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/07 at 4:12 pm

I LOVE Holiday. Has to be one of my all-time favorite BeeGee song.

I also loved them in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Yeah, yeah, a stupid movie but one of my guilty pleasures. Robin did a GREAT rendition of Oh Darling.

Cat

Written By: Capt Quirk on 06/26/07 at 8:43 pm

You know, it's kind of funny because I never heard of the BeeGees before their disco days. And since I wasn't a disco fan, I never really thought twice about them. I might just have to look into it.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/27/07 at 3:14 pm

I LOVE Holiday. Has to be one of my all-time favorite BeeGee song.

I also loved them in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Yeah, yeah, a stupid movie but one of my guilty pleasures. Robin did a GREAT rendition of Oh Darling.

I actually have that movie on DVD.  Why don't you and Don Carlos come over and we can watch it together.  8)

Actually, what is my favorite song of theirs is on their last album "This Is Where I Came In".  A wonderful song, that got nowhere near the airplay that it deserved.  This is another one that I slip in whenever I DJ, and people are constantly asking me who the group is because of their wonderful harmonizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVL3b1pmdhM

Written By: Henk on 06/28/07 at 1:25 am

Bee Gees have made some excellent stuff prior to their disco era. 8) "Spicks and Specks", "Massachusetts", "Words", "I Started a Joke" and "Lonely Days" are among my favorites.

Not sure if everybody knows this, but they were actually five until about 1970. Band also included Vince Melouney and Colin Peterson in that era.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 1:30 am

The Bee Gees made a short feature called Cucumber Castle in the early 70s, with a host of stars including Lulu and Spike Milligan. It featured the songs:

1. If I Only Had My Mind On Something Else  Listen Listen 
2. I.O.I.O. 
3. Then You Left Me 
4. Lord 
5. I Was The Child 
6. I Lay Down And Die 
7. Sweetheart 
8. Bury Me Down By The River 
9. My Thing 
10. Chance Of Love 
11. Turning Tide 
12. Don't Forget To Remember 

An album soundtrack is still available, but this feature has never been repeated on television or has not been released on DVD.

I am still chasing a copy of it.

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/28/07 at 2:33 am

The Bee Gees made a short feature called Cucumber Castle in the early 70s, with a host of stars including Lulu and Spike Milligan. It featured the songs:

1. If I Only Had My Mind On Something Else  Listen Listen 
2. I.O.I.O. 
3. Then You Left Me 
4. Lord 
5. I Was The Child 
6. I Lay Down And Die 
7. Sweetheart 
8. Bury Me Down By The River 
9. My Thing 
10. Chance Of Love 
11. Turning Tide 
12. Don't Forget To Remember 

An album soundtrack is still available, but this feature has never been repeated on television or has not been released on DVD.

I am still chasing a copy of it.

Well, hopefully this lead will prove fruitful .... I've just been doing a bit of research following your post, and have come up with this:

http://www.raremusicvideo.com/item/Bee_Gees_Cucumber_Castle

Bee Gees: Cucumber Castle

rare live movie hard to find

Length: 55 minutes

Date: 1967

Grade: A-/B+

Price: $29.00 each.

SKU: 1515-S

Quantity:

Format:DVD

Bee Gees videos and Bee Gees DVDs

About Us

Raremusicvideo has been involved in the music industry for 20 years. We specialize in hard

to find out of print video performances. We serve collectors, hobbyists and archivists. We

also specialize in out of print music books, compact discs, lps and memorabilia. We love to

trade and trading is our priority. No rights are intended or implied.

Click here to view our Grading Methods and Shipping Policies

Contact Info:

Rare Music Video
PO Box 280-005
Brooklyn, NY 11228-0005

1-718-256-4036

info@raremusicvideo.com

Of course, I can't guarantee this is a reliable company/ not some scam ... maybe somebody your pals with in the USA (on this site) can phone the company and check them out?

I see they have the wrong release date ... should be 1970, not 1967 ...

Anyhow, good luck.
:)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 2:35 am

Well, hopefully this lead will prove fruitful .... I've just been doing a bit of research following your post, and have come up with this:

http://www.raremusicvideo.com/item/Bee_Gees_Cucumber_Castle

Bee Gees: Cucumber Castle

rare live movie hard to find

Length: 55 minutes

Date: 1967

Grade: A-/B+

Price: $29.00 each.

SKU: 1515-S

Quantity:

Format:DVD

Bee Gees videos and Bee Gees DVDs

About Us

Raremusicvideo has been involved in the music industry for 20 years. We specialize in hard

to find out of print video performances. We serve collectors, hobbyists and archivists. We

also specialize in out of print music books, compact discs, lps and memorabilia. We love to

trade and trading is our priority. No rights are intended or implied.

Click here to view our Grading Methods and Shipping Policies

Contact Info:

Rare Music Video
PO Box 280-005
Brooklyn, NY 11228-0005

1-718-256-4036

info@raremusicvideo.com

Of course, I can't guarantee this is a reliable company/ not some scam ... maybe somebody your pals with in the USA (on this site) can phone the company and check them out?

I see they have the wrong release date ... should be 1970, not 1967 ...

Anyhow, good luck.
:)
Thanks for the research done, but one slight drawback. That DVD would be in the US format, not the system used in the UK. Also the address for attaining this in New York.

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/28/07 at 3:02 am

Thanks for the research done, but one slight drawback. That DVD would be in the US format, not the system used in the UK. Also the address for attaining this in New York.

Well, you would need to allow 3-4 weeks for delivery. Then you need a region free dvd player to view it .... OR  you can watch it on your pc's dvd by using such programs as 'anydvd', which defeat the region restrictions. I suspect there are also services in the UK that can convert formats.   
I know many video players in the UK are able to be switched to play NTSC (the US system) ... so imagine DVD players have a similar capability. I expect your local video/hifi stores etc can give further advice.

Depends how much you want it/ are willing to pay etc; I guess.

P.S. Personally, I don't have a dedicated dvd player, but use my pc and the program mentioned above.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 3:08 am

Well, you would need to allow 3-4 weeks for delivery. Then you need a region free dvd player to view it .... OR  you can watch it on your pc's dvd by using such programs as 'anydvd', which defeat the region restrictions. I suspect there are also services in the UK that can convert formats.   
I know many video players in the UK are able to be switched to play NTSC (the US system) ... so imagine DVD players have a similar capability. I expect your local video/hifi stores etc can give further advice.

Depends how much you want it/ are willing to pay etc; I guess.

P.S. Personally, I don't have a dedicated dvd player, but use my pc and the program mentioned above.
I am happy to wait and see on the selves at the DVD stores in the UK.

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/28/07 at 3:16 am

I am happy to wait and see on the selves at the DVD stores in the UK.

Fair enough. Oh, and the album I mentioned before with those great songs 'sea of smiling faces'; 'you know it's for you' 'sweet song of summer' etc; I now reckon it's title is 'To whom it may concern'.

Also, one of the solo efforts by Bee Gee 'Robin Gibb' should get special mention here .... 'Saved by the Bell' from 1969 ..... made it all the way to No. 2 on the UK charts. I got quite emotional singing along with that one a few months ago ... (  :\'( ) ... lovely song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/07 at 3:29 am

Fair enough. Oh, and the album I mentioned before with those great songs 'sea of smiling faces'; 'you know it's for you' 'sweet song of summer' etc; I now reckon it's title is 'To whom it may concern'.

Also, one of the solo efforts by Bee Gee 'Robin Gibb' should get special mention here .... 'Saved by the Bell' from 1969 ..... made it all the way to No. 2 on the UK charts. I got quite emotional singing along with that one a few months ago ... (  :\'( ) ... lovely song.
It is Saved By The Bell I remember from my younger schooldays.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 06/28/07 at 6:29 am

Now, while I can't speak for every business in Brooklyn and surrounding areas, I have learned you really need to be cautious. There are a lot of dishonest types looking to scam you. Broadway Photo is a great example of that.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/28/07 at 10:26 am

Thanks for the research done, but one slight drawback. That DVD would be in the US format, not the system used in the UK.

Actually that is easily solved.  Simply watch the movie on your computer.  I have 3 different DVD players loaded on my desktop.  The default os Region Code 1 (USA) for watching normal movies.  Another is set to Region Code 2, so I can watch the movies I obtained from Europe.  The third is Region Code 6, for a few anime I got from Korea and Hong Kong.

And with a few programs easily obtained from the internet, you can make a "Region Code Free" copy that you can watch on a regular DVD player.  One advantage of DVD is that it is "Format Free", so it does not matter if it was NTSC or PAL.  The system to output the signal to the TV is in the player itself, not the disk.

Or you can spend around $300 for a multi-region DVD player.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/28/07 at 10:52 am

I actually have that movie on DVD.  Why don't you and Don Carlos come over and we can watch it together.  8)

Sounds good-just say when. I have the movie on video.

Actually that is easily solved.  Simply watch the movie on your computer.  I have 3 different DVD players loaded on my desktop.  The default os Region Code 1 (USA) for watching normal movies.  Another is set to Region Code 2, so I can watch the movies I obtained from Europe.  The third is Region Code 6, for a few anime I got from Korea and Hong Kong.

And with a few programs easily obtained from the internet, you can make a "Region Code Free" copy that you can watch on a regular DVD player.  One advantage of DVD is that it is "Format Free", so it does not matter if it was NTSC or PAL.  The system to output the signal to the TV is in the player itself, not the disk.

Or you can spend around $300 for a multi-region DVD player.

We spent more $$$ to get a "region free" DVD player (Cyber Home). Something was wrong with it and we sent it back to the factory and they replaced it with a regular one and was told that they couldn't sell "region free" ones. We found out that you can program any DVD player to be "region free". I did a search on the web for the brand and there are message boards telling you how to do it for brand. So, the bottom line is don't the spend the extra  $$$ for "region free" DVD players. Program it yourself.  Oh BTW, don't get Cyber Home-they are a piece of s**t. Yeah, they are cheap but cheap they are. We had I don't know how many until we decided to go with a little bit more expensive one and it was definitely worth the price.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...