inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Al Stewart

Written By: Cloudburst on 06/23/07 at 1:29 am

Does anyone else like him as much as me?
Nice, mellow vibe

Subject: Re: Al Stewart

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/07 at 1:37 am

I like 'Midnight Rocks' :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/07 at 4:33 am

I only really know him for Year Of The Cat

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/23/07 at 8:07 am

Al S was supercool  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/23/07 at 8:08 am

I do... I just picked up the album Time Passages the other day, which is fantastic.  I've got a concert I downloaded when I first started doing the P2P thing in the late 90s that's still one of my favorite concert recordings (wish I knew if it was a legitimate release or not).

Written By: mandamoo on 06/23/07 at 8:09 am

"Year of the Cat" and "Time Passages" for me  8)

Written By: Mushroom on 06/23/07 at 11:57 am

I was a huge fan of Al during the 1970's.  "Time Passages" and "Year Of The Cat" are still songs I play fairly often.

Ironically, Al himself absolutely loathes Time Passages.

Written By: zcrito on 06/24/07 at 1:01 am

Al Stewart had some great songs in the '70s. I finally got around to buy his "Year of the Cat" album some time around 1993.

Year of the Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7LR46zrQU
Time Passages
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dKEG86cndE
On the Border
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y6hVQn-e5Y

And it looks like under Chinese Astrology the year of the cat was in 1975 (and 1987,1999 and next time 2011).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/07 at 4:06 pm

My favorite? What else? The Year of the Cat.  ;)

Cat

Written By: cables on 07/04/07 at 3:16 pm

My wife's a big fan - Al Stewart to her is like The Who to me.

We've been to see him several times, most recently Halloween last year. I was helping out on the support act's (Dave Nachmanoff) merchandise stall. Surprisingly enjoyable, helping out that way.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/04/07 at 5:08 pm

Al Stewart had some great songs in the '70s. I finally got around to buy his "Year of the Cat" album some time around 1993.

Year of the Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7LR46zrQU
Time Passages
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dKEG86cndE
On the Border
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y6hVQn-e5Y

And it looks like under Chinese Astrology the year of the cat was in 1975 (and 1987,1999 and next time 2011).

Year Of The Cat, Time Passages, and On The Border are the ones I know - and like!  :)

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/04/07 at 8:56 pm

I do... I just picked up the album Time Passages the other day, which is fantastic.  I've got a concert I downloaded when I first started doing the P2P thing in the late 90s that's still one of my favorite concert recordings (wish I knew if it was a legitimate release or not).

I do... I just picked up the album Time Passages the other day, which is fantastic.

Have to agree with you on this one ^.

I'd say 'Year of the Cat' / that album is generally better known, but I'd say there are a lot more songs on Time Passages that I'd rate at/ or close to 10/10 ... i.e; more quality to my ears.

On year of the cat, I love the title track, particularly the fantastic orgasmic sax ending to that song, which after one complete listen, I would often play the last minute again and again, really loud. Other stand outs on that album are 'On the Border' and 'Lord Grenville'.

On 'Time Passages' the only song I don't really rate is 'Valentina way' ... otherwise .... (wow!). Plus his weaving into it  a couple of songs with such great lyrics observing events in history
about 'Thomas More' awaiting his fate in the 'Tower of London' in the song 'A man for all seasons', or talking about Robespierre and Bonaparte and the French revolution in the song 'The Palace of Versailles' ... this is a fantastically melodic album,great intelligent, poetic lyrics, and one for the connoisseur ...

Posted by: Philip Eno
Insert Quote
I only really know him for Year Of The Cat

.... so I highly recommend this one to YOU ... Mr. Eno. There are so many great sax hooks on this album, and beautiful guitar playing. I love love love 'Life in dark water'; 'Timeless (arcadian) skies' and the hauntingly gorgeous finale to this masterpiece ... 'End of the day'.

Terrific stuff!

:)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/07 at 12:25 am

I do... I just picked up the album Time Passages the other day, which is fantastic.

Have to agree with you on this one ^.

I'd say 'Year of the Cat' / that album is generally better known, but I'd say there are a lot more songs on Time Passages that I'd rate at/ or close to 10/10 ... i.e; more quality to my ears.

On year of the cat, I love the title track, particularly the fantastic orgasmic sax ending to that song, which after one complete listen, I would often play the last minute again and again, really loud. Other stand outs on that album are 'On the Border' and 'Lord Grenville'.

On 'Time Passages' the only song I don't really rate is 'Valentina way' ... otherwise .... (wow!). Plus his weaving into it  a couple of songs with such great lyrics observing events in history
about 'Thomas More' awaiting his fate in the 'Tower of London' in the song 'A man for all seasons', or talking about Robespierre and Bonaparte and the French revolution in the song 'The Palace of Versailles' ... this is a fantastically melodic album,great intelligent, poetic lyrics, and one for the connoisseur ...

.... so I highly recommend this one to YOU ... Mr. Eno. There are so many great sax hooks on this album, and beautiful guitar playing. I love love love 'Life in dark water'; 'Timeless (arcadian) skies' and the hauntingly gorgeous finale to this masterpiece ... 'End of the day'.

Terrific stuff!

:)
I will see what I can find online.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/06/07 at 2:05 pm

I love Al Stewart's music!  He's one of my favorite artists!  8)

Agreed on 'On The Border'...excellent tune!  :)

Written By: NbC on 07/23/07 at 8:05 am

I haven't heard Al Stewart's songs in years.  I really enjoyed his music.

I have to look up some of his songs again and possibly check out You Tube.

Written By: whistledog on 08/08/13 at 6:26 pm

Here is a little Al Stewart trivia:  His backing band were known as Shot in the Dark.  In 1981, they recorded their own self-titled album and it produced a single called Playing With Lightning that made it to #71 on the US chart.  Al Stewart co-produced the album

In the large list of 80s songs that made the US Hot 100, but did not see the Top 40, I rank it quite high.  I just love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1fRcmXwir0

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/13 at 8:41 pm

I always liked "Time Passages."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6TsYypBpY

Written By: Paul on 08/09/13 at 4:25 am

His first effort from 1966...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mcIzYO6f2Q

...which sold about 3 copies and is therefore worth an absolute fortune!

Probably not what you'd be used to, but a nice tune all the same...

Written By: valleyroads on 08/09/13 at 4:39 am

I love his music, one of the greatest underrated storytellers/musicians of the 70s (into the 80s)

Written By: Howard on 08/09/13 at 2:54 pm

Time Passages
Year Of The Cat

those are all I know from him.

Written By: ninny on 08/10/13 at 2:38 pm

Time Passages
Year Of The Cat

Same here.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/13 at 3:08 pm

Was Al Stewart British? ???

Written By: warped on 08/10/13 at 3:09 pm

Time Passages
Year Of The Cat

I know those and Midnight Rocks as well as 'Song on the radio', that's it.

He's Scottish, Howard.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/13 at 4:06 pm

Was Al Stewart British? ???
He still is British, born in Glasgow, therefore Scottish.

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/13 at 5:35 pm

Just cause I know you've been waiting for this lol ...

1977 - Year of the Cat
1977 - On the Border
1978 - Time Passages
1979 - Song on the Radio
1980 - Midnight Rocks

Written By: warped on 08/10/13 at 7:27 pm

Just cause I know you've been waiting for this lol ...

1977 - Year of the Cat
1977 - On the Border
1978 - Time Passages
1979 - Song on the Radio
1980 - Midnight Rocks

I just listened to "On the border" . Turns out I knew this one too. (I didn't know the title until now)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/13 at 9:20 pm

He still is British, born in Glasgow, therefore Scottish.

Like that other singer, Rod Stewart.  There are a lot of Scots named Stewart.

Written By: valleyroads on 08/12/13 at 1:29 am

Some others for you: "Roads To Moscow", "Lord Grenville", "Nostradamus" and "Delia's Gone"

Written By: Howard on 08/12/13 at 6:24 am

It shows that Al Stewart continues to tour around the world and next month he is headed to Dallas TX on September 13th.

Written By: Paul on 08/13/13 at 5:28 pm

1977 - Year of the Cat

Your eyes do not deceive you, folks - his entire British single chart outing was with that one classic song!

And it didn't even make the Top 30!

But then again, neither did another classic song from about that time - 'Anarchy In The UK' by the Sex Pistols!

Written By: Howard on 08/13/13 at 6:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b1aH0C6HzM

Now this is music.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/13 at 10:02 pm

Your eyes do not deceive you, folks - his entire British single chart outing was with that one classic song!

And it didn't even make the Top 30!

But then again, neither did another classic song from about that time - 'Anarchy In The UK' by the Sex Pistols!

It is rather odd to see a UK artist not have big success in the UK.  It's happened a few times since, artists like The Fixx, Breathe and Wang Chung come to mind

Written By: Cherie70 on 08/27/13 at 8:26 pm

Love Al Stewart.  He is famously known for Year of the Cat and Time Passages but I also like Song on the Radio..

Song on the Radio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS-1ZTSCqio

Check for new replies or respond here...