inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artist "Comeback" during the 70's

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/29/07 at 6:45 pm

Think of and list musical artists who experienced a "comeback" during the 70's.  I can think of a couple.

Since "comeback" is loosely defined, let's say we limit it to someone who spent at least four years (usually more) in "has-been" type obscurity before hitting it big again.

This was inspired after listening to the song "Oh, What A Night (December 1963)" by the Four Seasons, who were just about out of it in the early 70's, until Frankie Valli's triumphant late '74 return to glory with "My Eyes Adored You".

Who are some other artists that experienced a comeback in the 70's?  :)

Subject: Re: Artist "Comeback" during the 70's

Written By: loki 13 on 07/29/07 at 7:05 pm

Iron Butterfly, their popularity was in the late 60's. they broke up in '71 but reformed in
the late 70's with little success. I saw them live in '78 or '79, as much as I liked them, they
just weren't the same.

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/07 at 7:15 pm

Some comebacks can occur within certain countries.  Cliff Richard is a prime example of this.  He is of course a steady chart hit maker in his native UK, but in North America (most especially in the States), he saw a major comeback in the 70s.  In the 60s (and 1959), he charted a good run of hits in Canada, but unfortunately didn't fare as well in the States, charting only 2 US Top 40 hits ...

1959 - Living Doll
1962 - The Young Ones
1962 - Wonderful to Be Young
1962 - It'll Be Me
1963 - The Next Time / Bachelor Boy
1963 - Summer Holiday
1963 - Lucky Lips
1963 - It's All in the Game
1963 - Don't Talk to Him
1964 - A Matter of Moments
1964 - I'm the Lonely One
1964 - On the Beach
1964 - I Could Easily Fall (in Love With You)
1965 - The Twelfth of Never
1965 - Wind Me Up
1965 - The Minute You're Gone
1968 - Congratulations
1972 - Jesus

In 1976, his single 'Devil Woman' gave him his first ever US Top 10 hit, kickstarting a comeback which gave him a small run of US Top 40 hits from 1979-1982 ...

1976 - Devil Woman
1976 - I Can't Ask For Anymore Than You
1977 - Don't Turn the Light Out
1979 - We Don't Talk Anymore
1980 - Carrie
1980 - Dreaming
1980 - Suddenly <w/ Olivia Newton-John>
1981 - A Little in Love
1981 - Give A Little Bit More
1981 - Wired For Sound
1982 - Daddy's Home
1982 - The Only Way Out
1983 - Never Say Die

I've known lots of people who had no idea he had hits prior to 'Devil Woman'

Written By: zcrito on 07/29/07 at 7:52 pm

"Since "comeback" is loosely defined, let's say we limit it to someone who spent at least four years (usually more) in "has-been" type obscurity before hitting it big again."

With that in mind, how about

The Beach Boys with "Sail On, Sailor" in 1975.

And what about these artists. They all had sort of a comeback in the '70s

Bee Gees
Fleetwood Mac
Peter Frampton
Michael Jackson
Jefferson Starship

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/07 at 7:53 pm

Another one is Ian Matthews.  As a solo artist, he was popular in the early 70s with Matthew's Southern Comfort and a cover of Joni Mitchell's 'Woodstock', but he didn't chart again in the US or Canada Top 40 until 1978 with the ever popular 'Shake It'

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/07 at 8:05 pm

another one for the US market ... April Wine first appeared in the US chart in 1972 with the Top 40 hit 'You Could Have Been A Lady'.  After nearly a whole decade without another US hit, they returned to Billboard in 1979 with the Top 40 hit 'Roller'.  The strange thing was that they casted themselves across the US, with concerts, small venues, and as supporting acts for other bands, but nothing was biting.  'Roller' began a brief run of small hits for them in the US, the biggest of which was (of course) 'Just Between You and Me' in 1981

I find lots of people outside of Canada are really shocked to learn that April Wine have had a total of 32 (21 Top 40) hits in Canada

Written By: loki 13 on 07/29/07 at 8:13 pm

"Since "comeback" is loosely defined, let's say we limit it to someone who spent at least four years (usually more) in "has-been" type obscurity before hitting it big again."

With that in mind, how about

The Beach Boys with "Sail On, Sailor" in 1975.

And what about these artists. They all had sort of a comeback in the '70s

Bee Gees
Fleetwood Mac
Peter Frampton
Michael Jackson
Jefferson Starship

I don't know that I would put Jefferson Starship in this category, they had hit albums in '74, '75, and '76.
Grace Slick became ill in '78 and didn't return until the 80's. Nuclear Furniture would be a comeback for her
but that was in '84 and then they became The Starship.

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/07 at 8:22 pm

I don't know that I would put Jefferson Starship in this category, they had hit albums in '74, '75, and '76.
Grace Slick became ill in '78 and didn't return until the 80's. Nuclear Furniture would be a comeback for her

They were forced to drop the Jefferson prefix because George and Weezie complained :D

Actually, one of the original members of Jefferson Airplane took legal action over the name, and won.  I liked the name Starship better than Jefferson Starship

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/29/07 at 11:56 pm

I think the Disco era was the first "older artists updating their sound to fit the times" period. This was common from, like 1976 to 2002.

Rod Stewart, KISS, The Rolling Stones and even The Beach Boys all did disco-influenced songs, among others. Before that, I guess Chuck Berry had some hits in the early '70s, but it didn't seem quite as common then. I guess once the "rock era" got over twenty years old you started seeing more of it.

Written By: zcrito on 07/30/07 at 10:15 pm

I should have said Jefferson Airplane.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/30/07 at 10:39 pm

I should have said Jefferson Airplane.

I'd agree about Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship as having a "comeback" when they resurfaced in the 74-75 timeframe.  Not that many comeback artists come back with a different name!  :)

Written By: badmitten on 08/05/07 at 11:01 pm

Neil Sedaka had a 70s comeback.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/29/08 at 1:55 pm

Mitch Ryder was a Garage Rocker who faded late in 1972 and came back in 1978.
Paul Anka made a nice comeback in 1975 as well after recently writing My Way for Frank Sinatra.
Even the New York Times considered Bruce Springsteen's 1978 album a comeback (Even though his most commercially successful period was still ahead of him).
Now this is a music executive, but Clive Davis really came on strong when he launched Arista records after being fired by CBS.

Written By: Frank on 05/17/09 at 12:56 am

Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka both made a comeback.

Check for new replies or respond here...