inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I, Claudius

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/07 at 12:43 pm

Has anyone seen this mini series? We are renting it from Netflix and are about half-way done with it. It is a fabulous series with an all-star cast (well, they may not have been "stars" when it was filmed but they are now). It stars Derek Jacob. Other actors include Brian Blessed, Patricia Quinn (Magenta from Rocky Horror), and a young Patrick Stewart (who had hair at the time.  :o :o).

Cat

Subject: Re: I, Claudius

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/07 at 1:05 pm

I was an outstanding series, I missed it myself when it was first shown, but have seen epsiodes when repeated.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/07 at 1:07 pm

To save on time, here is the link of  I, Claudius on imdb

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/07 at 1:08 pm

I was an outstanding series, I missed it myself when it was first shown, but have seen epsiodes when repeated.

Like I said, we are renting it but we just may purchase it to add to our library.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/07 at 1:10 pm

According to his memoirs, comedian Ronnie Barker was originally offered the role of Claudius.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/07 at 1:26 pm

According to his memoirs, comedian Ronnie Barker was originally offered the role of Claudius.

I'm not familiar with Ronnie Barker. Derek Jacobi (just realized I forgot the "i" on my first post-oops) did an outstanding job-of course he is a wonderful actor-very underrated if you ask me.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/07 at 12:29 am

I, Claudius is superb! 
I've seen the entire series twice and I'll most certainly watch it again. 

Lots and lots and lots of death...it makes "The Godfather" look like "Barney"!
:o

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/23/07 at 3:52 am

I, Claudius is great, and the stuttering Derek Jacobi is excellent, as the unwillingly heir thrust into leadership.  I loved this series. It was a must see for me when it was airing. & I was always intrigued by Caligula played by John Hurt.

I, Claudius is superb! 
I've seen the entire series twice and I'll most certainly watch it again. 

Lots and lots and lots of death...it makes "The Godfather" look like "Barney"!
:o
you got that right Max, & thanks for the reminder about lots of death, killing, murder, stabbing. I'd forgotten how brutal it was  :o

Written By: Sabra on 09/14/07 at 3:42 am

I, Claudius was a brilliant series with excellent casting. John Hurt as the totally maniacal Caligula was on of the best pieces of casting ever in my view.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/07 at 1:20 am

I, Claudius was a brilliant series with excellent casting. John Hurt as the totally maniacal Caligula was on of the best pieces of casting ever in my view.

"Why is there always galloping in my head, and why do I sleeeep so little?"

John Hurt is one of my favorite actors!

Written By: ralfy on 04/02/16 at 9:51 am

40th anniversary!

"Mary Beard’s favourite TV: ‘I Claudius might be the only show where the TV version is better than the novel’"

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/feb/29/mary-beard-favourite-tv

Check for new replies or respond here...