inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can you remember this Seventies toy?

Written By: cheese_on_toast on 08/26/07 at 6:36 am

This one is driving me and friends mad  :D - we can't think of the name of those transfer sticker scenes that you could buy at the newsagents. It was a scene on cardboard which came with a page of transfer pictures. You unfolded the scene and rubben the pictures where you wanted them to go to create the scene.
We think it started with K? I rmember them being a huge craze in the late 70's when i was about 8 or 9.
Why don't they make these anymore, they were great!!

Subject: Re: Can you remember this Seventies toy?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/26/07 at 9:16 am

colorforms?

Written By: KKay on 08/26/07 at 9:17 am

that's what i thought....but are youi saying that you rubbed these images on permanently? or were tyheyb made of rubber and stuck to the background?

Written By: snozberries on 08/26/07 at 2:39 pm

This one is driving me and friends mad  :D - we can't think of the name of those transfer sticker scenes that you could buy at the newsagents. It was a scene on cardboard which came with a page of transfer pictures. You unfolded the scene and rubben the pictures where you wanted them to go to create the scene.
We think it started with K? I rmember them being a huge craze in the late 70's when i was about 8 or 9.
Why don't they make these anymore, they were great!!

I remember these you scratched the back of the sticker with a quarter to get them onto the cardboard setting... if you scratched too hard you'd tear the sticker. Dang what  were they called?

Written By: Capt Quirk on 08/27/07 at 7:24 am

Colorforms were a vinyl plastic that could be used over and over. The rub and transfer were a one time shot. You would place it into the scene and that was it. I remember them, but not their name. I used to have Batman and Spiderman ones.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/27/07 at 9:58 am

I remember rub-on tranfers.

There are a couple of names you can check out...
Presto Magix Transfers
Hasbro Rub-Ons

There are a few for sale on eBay.

Written By: Cyndi on 09/01/07 at 8:52 pm

I thought they were called Playforms.  I use to love those.  

I remember these you scratched the back of the sticker with a quarter to get them onto the cardboard setting... if you scratched too hard you'd tear the sticker. Dang what  were they called?

Written By: Nozmo on 09/09/07 at 10:02 pm

I think the playforms were more like vinyl prints that you used from the shape board to the scene board. You had the main chacter body but the arms varied in poses and you had other items you could add just by peeling and sticking.

NozmoKing

Written By: whiteport on 09/10/07 at 8:44 pm

I used to have these way back when...

http://www.kiss4sale.com/pictures/104.jpg

Written By: Tia on 09/10/07 at 9:06 pm

dude, it was the rub-ons, i'm pretty sure. i used to love em, it was like stickers on wax paper and you'd rub it with a quarter or whatever onto a background scene. god, this is taking me back.

Written By: Tia on 09/10/07 at 9:08 pm

no, dammit, it wasn't rub-ons, it was something else. thanks a helluva lot man, i'm not gonna sleep at all now. :(

Written By: gemini on 09/11/07 at 6:19 am

Rub On Transfers. I remember they came with a wooden tongue depressor looking thing that you would use to rub the picture onto the background. Here's one I found on Ebay, from 1968.

Check for new replies or respond here...