inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite disco artist?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/01/07 at 6:00 pm

For me it is without a doubt Donna Summer. She is so underrated. And she released a few really solid albums. Her Bad Girls album just has one great song after another, and I reccomend everyone get it if they like her songs. Not just a plain old "greatests hits" set!  You need this.....it's a real 5-star album.

Once Upon A Time, and her post-disco albums The Wanderer and Another Place In Time are also reccomended!

Subject: Re: Favorite disco artist?

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/07 at 6:18 pm

My favourite disco artist is Boney M ...

They had major success throughout Europe, as well as a handful of Top 40 hits here in Canada, but they struggled to find an audience in the USA, scoring only 1 Top 40 hit on Billboard with 'Rivers of Babylon'

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/01/07 at 8:01 pm

Thelma Houston, because she sings my #1 favorite disco song (Don't Leave Me This Way).

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/01/07 at 8:09 pm

Thelma Houston, because she sings my #1 favorite disco song (Don't Leave Me This Way).

i love that song. i don't know anything else by her though (at least i don't think so).

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/02/07 at 9:23 pm

I love Boris Midney.  He had these really long sweeping orchestral songs that I can still see my mother hustling to  :)

Written By: whiteport on 09/03/07 at 2:50 pm

KC & The Sunshine Band, They were a Hit Machine back in the 70s. Funny thing is I couldn't stand them (or disco for that matter) back in the day, but now I love listening to them. It's just fun nostalgia I guess.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/03/07 at 3:42 pm

K.C. was good.....also love Kool & The Gang.

...and GIORGIO MORODER, who was Donna Summer's producer, was amazing. he was so ahead of his time.

you have to hear this song song of his from '77  :D. it sounds more like something from '97:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0OU7Hka_--U

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/03/07 at 10:08 pm

She is so underrated.

I don't think being called the "queen of disco" is considered underrated tbh.  :P

I'm not really into disco music but I do like some stuff from Donna Summer and a few 1 hit wonders (like I mentioned in the other thread).

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/04/07 at 6:46 am

but people see her as being "only" a disco queen.

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/07 at 12:31 pm

but people see her as being "only" a disco queen.

This isn't true

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/04/07 at 1:15 pm

alright  :\'(...

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/04/07 at 1:17 pm

...brian eno actually said she was his favorite female vocalist.

Written By: Paul on 09/04/07 at 2:07 pm

Chic...

They didn't make an awful lot of records, but most of the records they did make had a different 'class' to the rest of what was on offer...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/04/07 at 2:30 pm

Chic...

They didn't make an awful lot of records, but most of the records they did make had a different 'class' to the rest of what was on offer...

A very good choice there, Paul...

I loved Chic when they first came out, and I still enjoy listening to their music now... :)

Written By: robby76 on 09/07/07 at 12:07 pm

The Jacksons!

If he counts, I like Andy Gibb even better.

Written By: KKay on 09/07/07 at 12:08 pm

Evelyn Champagne King

my favorite voice of the era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxNqRFBqWzU

Check for new replies or respond here...