inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HEART (in general)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/04/07 at 7:34 am

is anyone else a pretty big fan like me?  :)

they don't seem to be taken very seriously...i think people see them as being Led Zepplin "lite". or they only focus on their cheesy mid-to-late 80's material. i think the only song i really like from that period is "these dreams". i pretty much only a fan of their 1976-80 music.

rolling stone also (lightly) panned pretty much all their albums, but they were featured twice in cover stories  ???.

Subject: Re: HEART (in general)

Written By: Gary on 09/05/07 at 4:26 am

Heart......They had several nice songs.....And Crazy On You is fantastic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/07 at 4:40 am

I only know Heart from the hits they had in the 80s.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/05/07 at 1:43 pm

Oh, their music was much better in the 70's!  8)

Written By: Henk on 09/05/07 at 1:58 pm

Oh, their music was much better in the 70's!  8)

Although I'm not a big fan of Heart (any era), I have to agree with Karen here. I've never understood the appeal of "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You", for instance... :-\\
I much prefer their 1970s songs like "Crazy on You" and "Magic Man". 8)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/05/07 at 2:03 pm

Although I'm not a big fan of Heart (any era), I have to agree with Karen here. I've never understood the appeal of "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You", for instance... :-\\

'Magic Man' is awesome!  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/07 at 2:04 pm

So we had the rubbish hits from Heart in the UK?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/05/07 at 2:14 pm

So we had the rubbish hits from Heart in the UK?

I didn't necessarily think their 80's hits were bad...they just weren't as good as the material they put out in the 70's!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/07 at 2:28 pm

I didn't necessarily think their 80's hits were bad...they just weren't as good as the material they put out in the 70's!  :)
Only joking, it would be interesting to hear the 70s hits.

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/07 at 3:02 pm

I liked Heart in the 70s, but my favourite work of theirs was during their 1985-1988 period with the albums 'Heart' and 'Bad Animals'

Here's some interesting trivia:

♦ In the 70s, all the members of Heart were living in Canada when they signed a deal with Vancouver based label Mushroom Records.  This qualified them as American expirates in Canada (someone who lives and works in Canada, but does not hold Canadian Citizenship), which gave them full Canadian status under CANCON (Canadian Content) laws.  When they relocated to Seattle in the late 70s, they were no longer considered to be a Canadian band

♦ Their 80s hit 'What About Love' was written by Jim Vallance (Bryan Adams' long-time collaborator), Brian Allen and Sheron Alton in 1982.  Allen and Alton were members of the Canadian band Toronto, and they wrote this song to be included on a Toronto album.  However, the other core members of the group rejected the song, eventually leading to the parting of ways between Toronto members.  In 1985, Vallance offered the song to Heart, and it became a world-wide smash

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/06/07 at 12:05 pm

I love 70's Heart.  Ann Wilson has some pipes!  IMO all of the 80's stuff was crap and I can't listen to any of it! :(

Written By: KKay on 09/06/07 at 12:23 pm

I"m a big fan of 70s Heart.
I forced it on our cover band.
now I'm spreading the word.  i used to hate them just cuz i didnt like their image- but i gave it a chance and I'm making everyone listen.
Most people I konw are fans.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/06/07 at 1:35 pm

Heart......They had several nice songs.....And Crazy On You is fantastic.

Which happens to be my favorite.

Written By: anthead on 09/06/07 at 6:07 pm

i like the 70's heart stuff quite alot.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/06/07 at 11:06 pm

"Straight On" is a great tune that was actually reworked live and acoustic and even be as good as the original version.  Give it a listen.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/06/07 at 11:14 pm

I"m a big fan of 70s Heart.
I forced it on our cover band.
now I'm spreading the word.  i used to hate them just cuz i didnt like their image- but i gave it a chance and I'm making everyone listen.
Most people I konw are fans.

so what's your favorite Heart album? i think excluding Magazine, their '76-'80 albums were all very strong.

i think Bebe Le Strange is very underrated....my favorite would be between that, Dreamboat Annie and Dog & Butterfly.

Written By: KKay on 09/07/07 at 12:17 pm

I play Dreamboat Annie the most.
I guess after that is Bebe Le Strange....but for me, i like individual songs, not their whole albums..but for Dreamboat, which i love

Written By: Doug on 09/10/07 at 2:37 pm

is anyone else a pretty big fan like me?  :)

they don't seem to be taken very seriously...i think people see them as being Led Zepplin "lite". or they only focus on their cheesy mid-to-late 80's material. i think the only song i really like from that period is "these dreams". i pretty much only a fan of their 1976-80 music.

rolling stone also (lightly) panned pretty much all their albums, but they were featured twice in cover stories  ???.

Heart was always a very underrated band. They had some great tunes between '75-'85. Had the good fortune of seeing them perform live outdoors at Miles Stadium in Medford, OR during the summer of'76 with Bachman-Turner Overdrive. Ann's voice was always  incredible. But the saddest part was that critics of the era were more obsessed with Ann's ongoing battle with her weight than her voice. They couldn't see the forest from the trees, if you will. Live on, Heart!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/07 at 8:29 pm

I play Dreamboat Annie the most.

Heart went from being a folk-rock band in the early '70s ("Dreamboat Annie")
to a hard-rock in the late '70s ("Crazy on You")
to a power pop band in the '80s ("What About Love")

My sisters were fans.  One liked the early '70s stuff, the other liked the late '70s stuff, and I....I just stuffed Silly Putty in my ears and hoped they'd turn the record off soon!
:P

Written By: Doug on 09/11/07 at 10:33 pm

Heart went from being a folk-rock band in the early '70s ("Dreamboat Annie")
to a hard-rock in the late '70s ("Crazy on You")
to a power pop band in the '80s ("What About Love")

My sisters were fans.  One liked the early '70s stuff, the other liked the late '70s stuff, and I....I just stuffed Silly Putty in my ears and hoped they'd turn the record off soon!
:P
  Sorry, but "Crazy on You" was recorded on the Dreamboat Annie album. Just thought you might like to know.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/12/07 at 6:25 am

Dreamboat Annie was relased in '76. so it was relased more in the late 70's.

They also had lots of folk-rock on their 3 albums after that, which were released from '77-'78.

Check for new replies or respond here...