inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What teen idol did you have a crush on?

Written By: rubix69 on 09/12/07 at 10:59 am

Here were mine:

Valerie Bertnelli-Had that innocent but very pretty look, and even to this day is still gorgeous!
Diane Kay-Played Nancy on 'Eight is Enough' another favorite show of mine
Kristy McNichol-I THINK I had a poster once  ::)
Jacklyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd of 'Charlie's Angels'-nuff said  :)

Subject: Re: What teen idol did you have a crush on?

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/12/07 at 12:03 pm

My very first crush was Andy Gibb.  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/07 at 12:18 pm

Not a teen idol but I had a MAJOR crush on Bill Bixby.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 09/12/07 at 1:25 pm

andy gibb
dirk benedict
mark hammill
mickey dolenz

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/12/07 at 2:13 pm

My very first crush was Andy Gibb.  ::)

He was a cutie!  ;)

Written By: KKay on 09/12/07 at 5:37 pm

When I was a really little kid I was all over Gavin McLeod when he was on Mary Tyler Moore.  I named my goldfish Murray after his character.
I loooved him.

Not a teen idol but I had a MAJOR crush on Bill Bixby.

Cat

ugh. totally.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/12/07 at 6:42 pm

When I was a really little kid I was all over Gavin McLeod when he was on Mary Tyler Moore.  I named my goldfish Murray after his character.
I loooved him.

That's hilarious!

Written By: KKay on 09/13/07 at 4:21 pm

That's hilarious!

I was glued to the TV as a kid.  I have no idea why he was such a crush for me.

maybe it was just cuz he was so funny?

Written By: NbC on 09/14/07 at 5:58 am

He was a cutie!  ;)

YES!  He was.

Mine in the 70's was Leif Garrett

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/14/07 at 7:05 am

My very first crush was Ricky Schroeder, from the TV show Silver Spoons.

Written By: snozberries on 09/15/07 at 12:33 pm

shawn Cassidy and scott baio I listened to their records all the time.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 09/15/07 at 7:12 pm

It's hard to say for sure, but it is a 3 way tie between Judy Robinson from Lost In Space, Batgirl, or Jeannie. Oh, what the heck, throw in Ginger and Mary Ann too :) No, they weren't exactly teen idols, so sue me.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/15/07 at 7:19 pm

Shaun Cassidy

Written By: NbC on 09/19/07 at 5:02 am

Shaun Cassidy

What a cutie!  Always loved his smile. 

Written By: KKay on 09/19/07 at 7:41 am

shawn Cassidy and scott baio I listened to their records all the time.

I was going to say David Cassidy...and add Scott Baio to my list too.  I was a little older when I began to like him, but I eventually appreciated the cute.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/12/07 at 2:49 pm

Count me in  the first crush Andy Gibb club !!!!!

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/12/07 at 7:37 pm

This was way before my time, but I think Andy Gibb and Leif Garrett were absolutely adorable in the 70's.  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/12/07 at 8:03 pm

Susan Dey - Lori Partridge

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/13/07 at 8:19 am

Badfinger,  Ive always hated Susan Dey because of the made for TV movie she did. "MaryJane Harper Cried Last Night" in which she played an abusive mother. She's on my list along with Chip Fields who played Penny's horrible mother on "Good Times"

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 11:41 am

Badfinger,  Ive always hated Susan Dey because of the made for TV movie she did. "MaryJane Harper Cried Last Night" in which she played an abusive mother. She's on my list along with Chip Fields who played Penny's horrible mother on "Good Times"

^did you ever see Patty Duke and her son in Please Don't Hit Me Mom? That was powerful (but I still like Patty- sorry Anna- afterwards.)

But Chip Fields (Kim's mom) was cool as Tootie's mom ('cept for that whole shipping your kid off to boarding school thing!) 

BTW- Kim guested on Good Times as Penny's friend. Guess she got noticed hanging around with her mother.
        Chip also played Regine's mom on Living Single.... nothing like a little nepotism and type casting to get noticed. ;)

I have that tho....actually its the opposite of that  I didn't crush on them, but I have women I admire after playing the "survivor" role in films like

Lynne Moody in Nightmare in Badham County and as the report who is raped on the Lou Grant show

Nancy McKeon as Tracy Thurman (I guess I should look to the real person but because the movie affected me so- I attribute my admiration to actors in the roles... wacky i know!)

Roxazanna Zal in Something About Amelia

Sharon Gless as Christine Cagney that rape episode was something else.

These women had bad things happen to them but (except for in Nightmare) they were able to rise above them and move on.

Back on topic tho....

Did I mention I had a crush on Tom Cruise back when he looked like this
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/ryjthoma/top_gun_maverick_tom_cruise_suited.jpg

not this
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/baileyhay/tomcruise3.jpg

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/13/07 at 11:45 am

Quirk : I also loved The Ricker !!! We could have double dated because  also thought Alfonso Ribero was a little hottie.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/13/07 at 11:48 am

Quirk : I also loved The Ricker !!! We could have double dated because  also thought Alfonso Ribero was a little hottie.

awesome!! :D

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/13/07 at 11:49 am

Snozberries, I did not knowe Kim Fields was ever on Good Times.  Dang I always thought I was alot younger than the Good Times Cast. That must have been the very last season, no ?? She would have made a cute Penny also.

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 11:56 am

Snozberries, I did not knowe Kim Fields was ever on Good Times.  Dang I always thought I was alot younger than the Good Times Cast. That must have been the very last season, no ?? She would have made a cute Penny also.

She was in two episodes in the final season (season 6)... #120- The Snow Storm and #128- The Physical. 

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/13/07 at 12:27 pm

Snozberries, maybe u can answer this. Is it me or is Good Times and many other 70s sitcoms VERY LOUD.  I dont have cable believe it or not and when Good Times re runs come on, the theme song immediately wakes me up. They talk VERY LOUD too.  Same with The Jeffersons the theme song but they dont talk as loud.

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 12:31 pm

I actually never noticed that before... I will look for it.

I know that commercials sometimes air at a higher volume than the program you're watching because the advertisers want to get your attention.  Maybe the networks did this with their shows too to get people's attention and keep them watching.

Now you gotta excuse me cuz I have to go take care of my Hester Sue  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/13/07 at 3:49 pm

I did not see that movie, and maybe I better not or I'll lose my affection for her  ;D  I really wouldn't say i had a crush on her, she was just the cutest young thing on tv at the time

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/13/07 at 5:00 pm

YES, Badfinger you will lose your affection for her. I will never forget that movie...ever !!!! That's okay I still havent forgiven Danny Glover for his performance in the Color Purple...maybe I need the help of Dr. Phil. Speaking of which remember in the 70s it was Dr. Ruth who was so popular then in the 80s Dr. Judy Kuriansky...spelling ????

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 5:03 pm

YES, Badfinger you will lose your affection for her. I will never forget that movie...ever !!!! That's okay I still havent forgiven Danny Glover for his performance in the Color Purple...maybe I need the help of Dr. Phil. Speaking of which remember in the 70s it was Dr. Ruth who was so popular then in the 80s Dr. Judy Kuriansky...spelling ????

lol you're wose than I am... at lest I reserve my disdain for what the actors do in their real life not for the roles they choose....

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/13/07 at 5:06 pm

I'd like to get all the tv Dr''s on 1 show together, that'd be a kick. I loved the movie The Color Purple.  When an character affects you that way, like Susan Dey or Danny Glover, then that actor has done a superb job acting.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/13/07 at 6:56 pm

Now you gotta excuse me cuz I have to go take care of my Hester Sue  ;)

hahaahhaha :D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/13/07 at 7:26 pm

Are we talking exclusively about Seventies or in general? Obviously I wasn't born or around for it in the actual time, but the teens of the '70s are like in their mid-late 40s now, so I'm sure I might like some in an "older woman" way after the fact, lol.

Well, does the 1989-'92 Paula Abdul count as a teen idol, 'cause she'd be the closest in terms of my personal experience as it happened. Or any of the girls on the show Blossom

Written By: Lindee on 11/14/07 at 11:13 am

Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy, Donny Osmond, Tony Defranco, Brett Hudson

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/14/07 at 5:07 pm

Well Badfinger since you put it so nicely, I suppose I cant hate them forever but its hard. Snozberries you are a truly healthy individual unlike myself lol.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/14/07 at 5:22 pm

Well Badfinger since you put it so nicely, I suppose I cant hate them forever but its hard. Snozberries you are a truly healthy individual unlike myself lol.
  :) thanks lemon. there are some characters in movies i hate, but I do like the actors themselves, I think  ???

Written By: snozberries on 11/14/07 at 11:00 pm

In mind only L.... in mind only!  ;D

Written By: ninny on 11/15/07 at 2:30 pm

OK there was Scott Baio,Willie Aames, Michael Landon, Les mcKeown (Bay City Rollers) and my husband still kids me about this one-Richard Thomas..Yep John-Boy Walton.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/15/07 at 2:34 pm

Wasnt Michael Landon a dream boat. Oh that hair !!!  Like Barry Gibb yum.. how about Almonzo (forgot his real name)

Written By: karen on 11/16/07 at 8:00 am

Donny Osmond and Leif Garret

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/16/07 at 8:08 am

My mom and her friend used to have huge crushes on Clint Eastwood in the 70's. They used to see his movies all the time...

Written By: ninny on 11/16/07 at 9:52 am

Wasnt Michael Landon a dream boat. Oh that hair !!!  Like Barry Gibb yum.. how about Almonzo (forgot his real name)

Almonzo was played by Dean Butler, not sure way but he just didn't do it for me.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/19/07 at 10:09 am

Badfinger, Ive decided to stretch out the olive branch of  forgiveness to Susan Dey. I actually saw a couple of clips from "Mary Jane Harper Cried Last Night" on You Tube.  Now what sticks out in my mind, is MaryJane is at least five playing a three year old. All can I think of is she is waay to big to be in a crib or a high chair. Isnt it funny how when you get older you see things so differently...

Written By: ninny on 11/19/07 at 10:45 am

Reading these someone mentioned Tony DeFranco..I almost forgot about him..Heartbeat is a Lovebeat.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/19/07 at 4:45 pm

I remember that song...I always loved Kristy McNichols hair and remember how she had a one hit wonder thing happening...

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 2:24 am

Snozberries, maybe u can answer this. Is it me or is Good Times and many other 70s sitcoms VERY LOUD.  I dont have cable believe it or not and when Good Times re runs come on, the theme song immediately wakes me up. They talk VERY LOUD too.  Same with The Jeffersons the theme song but they dont talk as loud.

This is off topoc but I had to answer...

just watched Good Times and yes the intro music is louder than the regular volume of the series.  The fact that they talk loud is one of the major reasons I stopped watching reruns of Good Times. I also disapprove of the buffoonish JJ.  I never liked The Jeffersons - mostly because I always found it loud, angry and annoying...

Back on Topic.

My cousin had a huge crush on Clifton Davis... I never quite got it.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 11/21/07 at 6:37 am

Donny Osmond  :D

Written By: Capt Quirk on 11/21/07 at 8:00 am

Have you folks watched Marie Osmond on Dancing with the Stars? She's still pretty nice.

Written By: little sis on 11/22/07 at 10:16 pm

I am still crazy about my crush...Donny Osmond

Written By: KKay on 11/23/07 at 8:00 am

my life was all about ...

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/images/march_a.jpg

dirk benedict was great, and it didin't hurt that richard hatch looked a bit like jackson browne.

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 9:09 pm

my life was all about ...

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/images/march_a.jpg

dirk benedict was great, and it didin't hurt that richard hatch looked a bit like jackson browne.

Oh Frack! I completely forgot about Starbuck!  Sorry Karen Apollo just didn't do it for me... now Boomer... that's another story!  ;D

Written By: robby76 on 11/23/07 at 9:43 pm

Nice to see lots of votes for Andy Gibb. Despite his personal life, he did some great music!

Battlestar Gallactica... oh yeah!

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 9:44 pm

Nice to see lots of votes for Andy Gibb. Despite his personal life, he did some great music!

Battlestar Gallactica... oh yeah!

what drugs? or am I missing something about AG?

Written By: robby76 on 11/23/07 at 10:13 pm

Yes drugs, alcohol... the usual suspects. Fame was never easy - even back then.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/01/07 at 2:43 pm

Maybe I'm weird, but I liked the guy that played Almanzo Wilder on Little House on the Prarie. He looked like a life sized rustic version of a Ken doll.  ;) Was his name Gerard Butler or Gerald Butler?

Written By: snozberries on 12/01/07 at 2:45 pm

Maybe I'm weird, but I liked the guy that played Almanzo Wilder on Little House on the Prarie. He looked like a life sized rustic version of a Ken doll.  ;) Was his name Gerard Butler or Gerald Butler?

close it was Dean Butler.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/07 at 3:53 pm

Besides my major heartthrob-Bill Bixby, I also had a crush on Michael York, David Soul, & Lance Kerwin.

Cat

Written By: saver on 12/11/07 at 9:29 pm

Besides my major heartthrob-Bill Bixby, I also had a crush on Michael York, David Soul, & Lance Kerwin.

Cat

Have you ever checked out the 'where are they now' or whatever became of teen star sites?

There usually is a then and now photo of many you mentioned!

Those shows helped while away the time!

Written By: star80 on 12/21/07 at 12:23 pm

So many, I was definitely boy crazy

Leif Garret
David Cassidy
Bobby Sherman
Bill Bixby
Donny Osmond
Michael Jackson
John Travolta
Robert Redford
Davey Jones
Peter Brady

Written By: ninny on 12/24/07 at 8:08 am

I see Scott Baio is got a new reality show 46 and pregnant,yep seems like Scott might be settling down ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/07 at 10:34 am

I see Scott Baio is got a new reality show 46 and pregnant,yep seems like Scott might be settling down ;D

did you watch 45 and single??? OMG what an ass  ::)

Written By: ninny on 12/26/07 at 8:05 am

did you watch 45 and single??? OMG what an ass  ::)

I saw a couple episodes,I guess he just doesn't due it for me like he did 25 years ago,I grew up and he didn't. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/07 at 4:52 pm

I saw a couple episodes,I guess he just doesn't due it for me like he did 25 years ago,I grew up and he didn't. ;D

yeah we all grew up!  I really hated his tendency towards self indulgence. His greatest claim to fame was Chachi / Charles... he did other stuff but will forever be known as those two characters..why hate people for loving you... if not for these characters he never would've stepped foot in the playboy mansion... and never would've gotten that album produced.

Written By: cinnabon on 01/05/08 at 5:42 pm

David and Shaun Cassidy and Wesley Eure (Will Marshall on Land of the Lost)  :)

Written By: sonnyvegas on 01/30/08 at 6:18 pm

For what it's worth. They might not have been "ïdols" but I was always fond of Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge. Maybe it was me but I always identified with Archie Andrews. I don't have red hair but I did have two really good girl friends. The "Betty" really liked me but I was more interested in the "Veronica". She, however, was more interested in the jocks and preps.

Ah, such is life.

Written By: Brimac40 on 01/31/08 at 6:26 am

Valerie Bertnelli , Kristy McNichol
and Cheryl Ladd.

Written By: Frank on 02/08/09 at 7:16 pm

Marsha Brady :D :D :D
Laura Petrie (Mary Tyler moore)
Valere Bertinelli

Check for new replies or respond here...