inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mark Bolan: 30 year aniversary

Written By: Elizabeth.xox on 09/16/07 at 11:18 am

Today is the 30'th anniversary of one of the greatest glam rock superstars death.It seems amazing that hes been gone for 30 years.Anyone on here that has any memories of how they found out that he was dead..or any memories of him at all ,please post them!

R.I.P Mark!

Subject: Re: Mark Bolan: 30 year aniversary

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/07 at 11:21 am

It was a sad day when it happened, personally I was working that day and did not know the terrible news until the following day.

I have been to the site of the crash on Barnes Common.

Written By: Paul on 09/16/07 at 12:12 pm

I remember it being in the newspapers...

It probably had more of an impact on me than the death of Elvis Presley earlier in the year, as Marc was sort-of in my 'timeframe'...

Rather unfairly, he was on the verge of a 'comeback' when it happened (Marc, not Elvis!)

Written By: Elizabeth.xox on 09/16/07 at 12:14 pm

It was a sad day when it happened, personally I was working that day and did not know the terrible news until the following day.

I have been to the site of the crash on Barnes Common.

Wow must of been amazing going there!

Written By: Pete Seaton on 09/18/07 at 7:44 pm

I haven't been there yet. i did get close in the car though, we took a  wrong turning, and got lost.

been to Golders Green though, where the ashes were scattered

Written By: Banks on 09/20/07 at 5:18 am

I remember the day he died...My cousin played his albums all the next week.

Even back then I loved his music, though, unfortunately by the time I was old enough to enjoy it he was seen as 'over', though the rumblings about his come back were starting to gain pace in the media....

The world lost a lifetime of brilliant music the day that Marc Bolan died.

AN

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/21/07 at 7:27 am

i listened to Electric Warrior yesterday. i haven't for the longest time.

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/07 at 6:58 pm

It's a shame Marc never made a bigger impact in North America.  Despite a few smaller hits, he was pretty much a one hit wonder in both Canada and the United States with 'Bang A Gong (Get it On)'

In 1987, a Canadian group called Chalk Circle had a Top 40 hit in Canada with a cover of '20th Century Boy'.  It wasn't as good as Bolan's original, but it was good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CHS2umHhaE

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/22/07 at 7:22 pm

He was really frustrated that he never made it big in America.....He's just one of the million artists that deserved to be big here so much more than what was/is.

Check for new replies or respond here...